[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 400x610, 1297030120901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1574073 No.1574073 [Reply] [Original]

Once upon a time there lived a King.

He was blessed with wealth, health and loyal populous, over which he ruled justly.

The lord of the angels saw him from afar and thought him a threat to his seat. "Should he grow mighty, shall he not seek my power?"

Knowing that the King was known for his charity, the Lord of the Angels donned the robes of a beggar and accosted the king while he was out for a walk.

Though the king's guards tried to keep him off the King, the kindly ruler asked the beggar his boon. The beggar, dismayed by the radiance of power emanating from the mortal king, asked him for his wealth. Even when the king somberly agreed to part with it, the beggar observed with disdain that that would not take away the aura surrounding the king.

So he asked that the Kings bejeweled robes be exchanged with the Beggar's tatters. To this also the king consented without remorse.

The beggar's anger grew, as this only made the robes look richer on a healthy body of the king. So he asked the king for his health. The king parted with that too and became a feeble old man, his back bent by age and weakness. But even in his fallen form he radiated a strange light of wisdom and glory!

Perplexed, the beggar realized what he should ask for: he demanded that the king hand over his virtue.

At this juncture the now wizened King laughed. He declined the Beggar's order politely and said, "Ask of anything else but my virtue! For with that intact, I would secure anything else you shall take from me. Once my virtue leaves me, I will be naught but a shell of a man without a soul."

The Lord of the Angels was ashamed and returned all that was King's to him and retracted feebly to heaven.

>> No.1574115

Did any of you faggits read it?

>> No.1574151

Quick question. What is the Lord of the Angels name? Can it be Quigley?

>> No.1574164

>>1574073
I like it. Not an altruist myself, but it's a solid piece of work.

>> No.1574172

>>1574164
Except for the grammatical errors.

>> No.1574181

>>1574073

Jesus Christ, that sucked. And you mean "populace", not "populous". I can't be bothered pointing our your many other mistakes.

>> No.1574219

>>1574151
Quigly is an excellent name for a dog.

Which is basically what any kind of angel is.

>> No.1574220

Justice bump.

>> No.1574227

He was blessed with wealth, health and loyal populace, over which he ruled justly.

The lord of the angels saw him from afar and thought him a threat to his seat. "Should he grow mighty, shall he not seek my power?"

Knowing that the King was admired for his charity, the Lord of the Angels donned the robes of a beggar and accosted the king while he was out for a walk.

Though the king's guards tried to keep him off the King, the kindly ruler asked the beggar his boon. The beggar, dismayed by the radiance emanating from the mortal king, asked him for his wealth. Even when the king somberly agreed to part with it, the beggar observed with disdain that that would not take away the aura surrounding the king.

So he asked that the Kings bejeweled robes be exchanged with the Beggar's tatters. To this also the king consented without remorse.

The beggar's anger grew, as this only made the rags look richer on the healthy body of the king. So he asked the king for his health. The king parted with that too and became a feeble old man, his back bent by age and weakness. But even in his fallen form he radiated a strange light of wisdom and glory!

Perplexed, the beggar realized what he should ask for: he demanded that the king hand over his virtue.

At this juncture the now wizened King laughed. He declined the Beggar's order politely and said, "Ask of anything else but my virtue! For with that intact, I would secure anything else you shall take from me. Once my virtue leaves me, I will be naught but a shell of a man without a soul."

The Lord of the Angels was ashamed and returned all that was King's to him and retracted feebly to heaven.

>> No.1574238

>>1574227
>>1574227

You somehow managed to make it shittier.

Also his name is Quigley. Q for short.

>> No.1574245

well james, that was cute.

>> No.1574253

>>1574245
>cute

You could have said nice.

>> No.1574294

>Once upon a time, there lived a king who was blessed with wealth, health and a loyal populace because he ruled justly and upheld the truth.

>The Lord of the Angels watched this king from afar and felt threatened.

>"Should he grow yet more powerful," the archangel asked, "would he not challenge my own power?"

>"No, little one," said the Lord God Almighty, "he would not. Now bend over and take what's coming to you, bitch."

>> No.1574315

>>1574253
ok.

james, that was nice.

>> No.1574324

I like it James. I think people would have judged it less harshly if you were an anon. Did you write this yourself?

>> No.1574334
File: 40 KB, 250x250, 1295966839374.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1574315
Why thank you!

>> No.1574390

>>1574324
And the errors.

>> No.1574466

Goof Night bump.

>> No.1574575

He had obtained wealth, health and loyal populace, over which he ruled justly, and which he had been awarded for his own merits and his ability to rule using the principle of non-coercion.

Knowing that the King was known for his charity, the Lord of the Angels donned the robes of a beggar and accosted the king while he was out for a walk.

Though the king's guards tried to keep him off the King, the kindly ruler asked the beggar his boon. The beggar, dismayed by the radiance of power emanating from the mortal king, asked him for his wealth. The king, realizing that no man has a right to another's wealth, declined. "charity should be an act of choice. I will give you something for your troubles, but not all. His aura shined even more radiantly, as he was a man who owned himself.

>> No.1574581

So he asked that the Kings bejeweled robes be exchanged with the Beggar's tatters. To this also the king also denied.

The beggar's anger grew, as he felt more and more entitled to the King's possessions. So he asked the king for his health. The king refused, for his health was his, and no man had a right to claim it. In his individualistic and self-motivated form, he radiated a strange light of wisdom and glory!

At this juncture the now wizened King laughed. He declined the Beggar's order politely and said, "Ask of me nothing, for you shall not receive. A virtue can only be possessed by someone who has realized it himself, you cannot steal a virtue, and you don't understand it to begin with. No man has a right to another's wealth, it can only be obtained by a man's works and creations. This is the virtue of selfishness.

The Lord of the Angels was ashamed and realized he was a parasite, and sulked back to heaven where all of his needs were taken care of by a fascist totalitarian God.

>> No.1574593
File: 14 KB, 424x318, oh my.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1574581
>>1574575
oh dear a randoid sighting

>> No.1575684

bump

>> No.1575704

>>1574593

Individualism doesn't have to come from objectivism. In fact, its propagation of individual freedom is objectivisms only redeeming factor.

People loathe objectivism because of its popularity amongst braindead republicans and because its crude simplicity is makes it unpopular amongst intellectuals.

Nobody who believes in freedom can HATE an idea which is so fundamentally anti-totalitarian.
You've been on /lit/ too long.

>> No.1575716

>>1575704
no dear, randoids are functionally deficient. there probably will be some sort of neurosci moral philosophy done on this that proves it.

>> No.1575880

>>1575716
What's a randoid?

>> No.1575907

>>1575716
How are they functionally deficient?

Before you judge me I must say I liked OP's story. But I don't find anything wrong with the 'Randoid''s variation either.

>> No.1575919

>>1575704
>Nobody who believes in freedom can HATE an idea which is so fundamentally anti-totalitarian.
>implying a good dose of totalitarianism isn't intrinsic to organised society and crucial to the wellbeing and flourishing of the vast majority of helpless, clueless idiots that comprise the human race

>> No.1575922

>>1575907
the characteristic judgment that the randoid makes when confronted with an ethical scenario short circuits any consideration of the status of the other. instead, there is only an appeal to power as distilled in rights. this means, psychologically, that empathy never occurs. empathy being an important social function, randoids have a functional deficiency.

>> No.1575927

>>1575880
A rand[r]oid is someone who subscribes to Objectivism, the philosophy of Ayn Rand.

>> No.1575931

>>1575919
wait... why would you want them to flourish?

>> No.1575943
File: 31 KB, 430x352, 1294756979973.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1576116

>>1575943
daserves abump.