[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 797 KB, 1920x1080, daughter422.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1567267 No.1567267 [Reply] [Original]

Good day /lit/. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good beginners book on meditation, I have a few in mind, but some of the better ones seem to focus mostly on being mindful. I understand why it is necessary, but I would love a good all encompassing book dealing with techniques as well as mindset.

>> No.1567276

Meditation according to a particular religious/spiritual tradition, or silly new-age Western hippie bullshit meditation?

>> No.1567284

Remember back in the day when just focusing on your breathing was enough?

>> No.1567289

>>1567276
Well I really don't want to use meditation to become spiritual, as I am not very religious myself. I would like it to get in touch with myself I suppose? So I guess western bullshit

>> No.1567296

Technically it's an audio book (I don't think a print version exists) but I got started with "Mindfulness for Beginners" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. It is absolutely wonderful, and I recommend it very highly.

I would also recommend Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life, by Thich Nhat Hanh. He's a Vietnamese Buddhist who has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize a number of times. The book is all about cultivating mindfulness as you do everyday things, and it is a different approach from the stereotypical "sitting crosslegged with eyes half closed."

Other than that, just read up on the web. It depends on what kind of meditation you're looking for. For example, just using a simple Google search, I have found some really great guides to Metta Bhavana.

>> No.1567308

You might want to go here:

>>>/sci/2565791

>> No.1567310
File: 697 KB, 1196x896, man831.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I spent some time googling, and I've got a few I've narrowed it down too. Kabat-Zinn and Hanh were two authors that came highly recommended, as well as Osho. I would love to learn, but it seems there are a lot of differing practices. I am beginner just looking for a start point I syppose

>> No.1567324

Where is that pic in the OP from?