[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 655x527, 357bf49f8caaee4a0a63b730e43a868f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15671676 No.15671676 [Reply] [Original]

I've never put effort into writing anything creative before, any advice on how to approach it?

>> No.15671734

>>15671676
Idk how useful that is, but I just put down literally whatever comes to mind first and then follow that. I have been told that I do stream of consciousness writing quite well.

I'd say train many types. Try writing a fictional news article about some gruesome murder and write it how, say, a tabloid writer would describe it. Write a poem then about that article/murder as if you were a poet inspired by that article. And so on and so on.

>> No.15671809

You have to be comfortable with having your mind empty and sitting around with it empty. You have to be very relaxed and open minded if you want to think of fresh things. Let things play around in your head and don't grab onto anything too hard until it seems right. It may seem like you're doing nothing but subconscious processing is going on and you will eventually get results.

The worst thing you can do is constantly distract yourself with a cavalcade of entertainment and internet reading, because it will disrupt your processing.

>> No.15671868

>>15671809
Honestly using pencil and paper might be a good way to start if you're used to using the internet heavily because it takes you out of that.

Also don't stare at a blank page because that becomes dispiriting. Your perceptions, thoughts, memories, knowledge, etc always give you a rich store of material. The page is never blank.

>> No.15671883

>>15671868
>The page is never blank
Is a wonderful mindset anon

>> No.15672148

Get to the important things. Don't describe the lamp and the couch too much, just say what happened in the room.

>> No.15672178

>>15671734
What if the format you think best suits you isn't really fictional in style? My favored format for writing seems to be in a historical tone (like a history book), but that is not usually how it's done.