[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 220x330, 220px-White_Noise.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15648190 No.15648190 [Reply] [Original]

So i picked this book up after feeling like an idiot 200 pages into Infinite Jest.

I really enjoyed it, but i get the sense I didn't 100% understand everything that was going on. It's a good feeling, because it encourages me to read it again.

For you anons who have read it:
What do you make out of the constant interruptions by Tv/Radio stimuli that are featured in the book? Are they merely aesthetic dressing/atmospheric details?

What's the importance of the family structure presented?

I get the sense of irony (not to mention the point being driven) that SIMUVAC uses the emergency to train for the simulation, but outside of the ironic joke, what do you think of the world the book is trying to build by featuring this sort of absurdisms?

I'm hoping other anons' points of views will better inform my second reading.

>> No.15648344

bump

>> No.15648351

>>15648190
>What do you make out of the constant interruptions by Tv/Radio stimuli that are featured in the book?
It's white noise.

>> No.15648367
File: 45 KB, 300x275, don.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/lit/ why didn't you tell me a new Delillo was coming out in October
why did I have to learn this from Wikipedia
https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Silence/Don-DeLillo/9781982164553

>> No.15648389
File: 22 KB, 1265x689, 1592436680271.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15648351
>It's white noise.
thank you anon that was clear. why is his usage of white noise significant? he never seems to criticize it, just present it.

>> No.15648724

>>15648389
Not who you're replying to but...

The impression I got was that it's linked to the drug the wife uses. The drug slips chemicals slowly into her body to make her forget her fear of death. Your brain is an information processing organ and so the constant noise and light via radio/tv (and now streamed through the internet) is very much a chemical reaction in your body/brain. If it gets you to forget your fear of death (terror management) but also reduces your attention span/memory and makes you start believing anything because with information overload, all data is weighed less and less by your mind/context and more by frequency, then chemically the white noise and the medication are the same thing.

I didn't ponder enough on the book. The blurbs of radio/tv for me were just Delillo noticing that this is completely common place. That we've replaced all silence with white noise. I very easily could have missed some connecting piece. Dunno.

>> No.15648841

>>15648389
it's the fact that technology/media/information/television have bled so far into our daily lives and culture that we don't even notice it anymore. Much like when you hang a picture or poster on your wall, and live with it, seeing it for so long you never actually really see it again. same reason why the baby says "toyota corolla" or whatever, because it's acquiring the language of media, not the language of humans