[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.90 MB, 200x200, 1591566769245.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15596588 No.15596588 [Reply] [Original]

>want to start reading some philosophy
>/lit/ memes me into starting with the greeks
>its a bunch of information I've already got through cultural osmosis and philosophical thoughts I had in high school

Ya got me again /lit/. Very funny.

>> No.15596595

The Iliad is unironically fucking terrible

it reads like a shounen manga

>> No.15596598

>>15596588
Yes, terrible. Leave it, MCU is where is at nowadays.

>> No.15596624

>>15596598

Wow. Now I know the origins of archetypes upon which MCU movies are based upon. Very elucidating. Iliad, Odyssey, Golden Fleece are all ancient equivalent of the Avengers. But unironically.

>> No.15596687

No point starting with the Greeks I’d say. The Greeks are only important to someone who wants to learn the history of philosophy. A lot of their ideas are outdated or poorly expressed due to their relative lack of a developed philosophical vocabulary. The presocratics, for instance, did not even have a distinction between spirit and matter, so that they were all essentially materialists, not out of choice but compulsion. Even Anaxagoras who posited “Nous” (the mind) as the organising principle of the universe, a seemingly idealist position, had, due to his materialistic lexicon, to say the Nous was physical, occupying a region of space. A modern philosophy textbook would be the best place to start for a modern learner. You’ll have the developed philosophical concepts expressed clearly with a range of sources and opinions. Then if you want to go back to the history of philosophy after that, you can start with the Greeks.

>> No.15596697

>>15596687
hegel would like a word with you

but yeah i agree

>> No.15596739

>>15596687
>>15596588
I disagree. I agree thats its important specificly for the hisrory of phil, but i think that is important in general to gorm a mindset of progression. I mean, you dont have to read every greek, but having some level of knowledge in sequencial decelopment helps to prevent chronological snobbery and selection bias. Like, its super common for people to think they dpecific phil they read about is the one most perfect phil simply due to exposure. Its not required, but it is a good framework to orient oneself for future developments. Not to mention how often they are enviked by later writers.

You CAN get into Hegel straight off, but you might apreciate it more if you are familiar with Kant, likewise Kant with Hume, etc to the greeks. It creates context to better grasp content.

>> No.15596746

>>15596595
>it reads like a shounen manga
that's what i loved about it