[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 302x379, 464541.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15565786 No.15565786 [Reply] [Original]

If you are not tyrannical, you are a cuck?:
"Courage, as it is usually understood, is the virtue of the man, his capacity, without fear or effeminacy, to help himself, to protect himself from injustice or injury, to assert and save himself. According to this ideal, the perfect man is the tyrant, who disposes of the greatest possible power to do what he will. The tyrant as an ideal is the perfect expression, the most seductive and therefore the most revealing form of the popular ideal of courage, and thus challenges to searching criticism of that ideal. In limitless self-love, in frenzied arrogance, the tyrant seeks to rule not merely over men but even over gods."

>> No.15565829

I tried listening to a video of him talking about political philosophy and his voice was so fucking annoying. I wished I was in that room just so I could beat his head in.

>> No.15565854

>>15565829
read the transcripts. http://leostrausstranscripts.uchicago.edu/

And his book on Hobbes is a masterpiece. He basically says that Liberal Democracy is the bastard child of Hobbes

>> No.15565939
File: 104 KB, 850x400, quote-the-jewish-people-and-their-fate-are-the-living-witness-for-the-absence-of-redemption-leo-strauss-69-68-57.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15565786
Based indeed

>> No.15565969

>>15565786
He was also pretty based for pulling some strings for his buddy Carl Schmitt after WW2 (who pulled some strings a couple years prior to get him and a handful of other Jews out of the third reich). Kinda reminds me of the only time Brecht was based, when he got his tankie buddies to back off after WW2 when they wanted to put Jünger on a trial for some reason.

>> No.15566133

>>15565854
Thanks

>> No.15566222

>>15565786
>Courage, as it is usually understood, is the virtue of the man, his capacity, without fear or effeminacy, to help himself, to protect himself from injustice or injury, to assert and save himself
What? Who the hell thinks this?
Courage, as it is usually understood is a willingness to take put oneself at GREATER risk and weather MORE harm for some other gain, typically one that is shared with others. No one would argue that it's courageous to be physically strong, or live in a castle, or command a subordinate to die in your place. Those are unrelated to courage.

>> No.15566342

>>15566222
read nietzsche you dumb bitch. Strauss is talking about pre-christian conception of courage. Master morality of the ancients. Your definition of courage is a christian faggot revaluation

>> No.15566512

>>15565969
Leo strauss redpilled Schmitt by pointing out to him that he could not proceed beyond modernity for he argued within Tradition- you had to destroy platonism first. That is what Heidegger did by returning to the pre-socratics and strauss did with his esoteric readings of the ancients.

>> No.15566824

>>15565969
Is Strauss one of the rare based Jews?

>> No.15566907

>>15566342
No, that's still not true. Courage is distinct from strength. The ancients were full of bullshit about how much you owed to your parents and your king and the gods and all that shit. Putting your own safety above any of that was uncourageous. Strength and nobility were related to but totally distinct from courage.

No culture has EVER "generally" meant "to proctect oneself from injury and save himself" EVER.

Courage has ALWAYS been an attempt to get people to risk their own safety in hopes of a greater, shared reward. Read literally any history or old lit.