[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 4 KB, 183x276, candle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15513746 No.15513746 [Reply] [Original]

ITT : Post phrases, passages, fragments that have stayed with you from the very moment you read them, and that still come back to you from time to time.

Here are three that I've been thinking about a lot recently:

"Miser Catulle, desinas ineptire
Et quod vides perisse perditum ducas". from Catullus, carmen 8 ("Miserable Catullus, cease to be a fool, and that which you see to have been lost, may you consider lost")

"He fished by obstinate isles" - Ezra Pound, Hugh Selwyn Mauberley

"Le silence est le parti le plus sûr de celui qui se défie de soi-même" - La Rochefoucauld ("Silence is the best resolve for him who distrusts himself", though the french phrase is infinitely more beautiful than that translation).

>> No.15513778

>>15513746

>"Heaven and Earth are one body; Love all things without exception."
-Zhuangzhi

>"Humans are born, they live, and then they die. But until the end comes, do not despair! Savor your food, make each of your days to be filled with bright happiness, take pleasure in the tender embrace of your wife, cherish the child who holds you with tiny hands. Bathe and anoint yourself, wear the finest of raiments, let music and dancing fill your house always. That is the best way for a man to live!"
-Siduri, Gilgamesh

>"I entered into the palace of the dead and I saw the kings of the Earth, their crowns put away forever..."
-Enkidu, Gilgamesh/Descent To The Underworld

>"Death is before me today/like the smell of myrhh/like a sail in good wind...death is before me today/like the home that a man longs to see/after years spent as a captive of war."
-Discourse Of A Man With His Ba

>"To be and to have meaning are the same."
-Parmenides

And one that has probably defined me, and my life;

>"You will always be a poet because you will always be humiliated."
-W.H Auden

>> No.15513783

>>15513778
Damn that Auden quote really is amazing. Thanks for sharing anon.

>> No.15513830

>>15513746
-Marriage is a two manned cell, bachelerhood is one manned. Both are in prison. Choose
-If someone has to trust someone, it should always be the weak trusting the strong. Such is it for thousands of years.
-No is the best of all answers. It is easy to say no and yes later, than the other way around
-If you can't solve it, delay it
-If you cant convince them, at least confuse them
-Guarantees to lending are useless. When everything goes bad they won't be applicable, when everything goes right they are useless
-Be reserved but don't look like it. There is an art of saying things without actualyl saying anything. Those who keep recrets are disdained. Be reserved by speaking not by being silent
-Life gives most people the same amount of capital, on average roughly 25k-30k days. You will realize this when you spent half of it.
-Never fall in love with a real estate. You will not be able to sell it
-Always ask yourself: What is the maximum amount of gain If I win? What is the maximum amonut of loss If I lose? If your win is "eh" and your loss is "ahhh" don't do it.
-Let some opportunities go away. Those who never miss any opportunities are those who jump into everything.
-Can you sell the land you bought to the same price today? If so you did a good deal. But ask yourself this. Can YOU sell it? The land trying to be sold by a villager will have a different reception compared to the land trying to be sold by a businessman.
-To love a country first you must love its people

>> No.15513851

>>15513830
No offense but these are shit. Are they original?

>> No.15513860
File: 33 KB, 309x475, 12498546.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15513851
Written by a Turkish Business man from mid 90s. Titled `to a young businessman`. I translated it myself so must be a bit off.
Not that it has any ltierally value in Turkish either but the work really stayed with me.
one of the best covers ever though

>> No.15513908

>>15513830
>>15513860
It sounds the faggot read way to much Art of War (which is probably literally the case, if he is a businessman) and decided to adapted it for the modern businessboy.

>> No.15513943

>>15513908
doubt that was popualr in 1995 in a 3rd world shithole, He quotes ovid and saint augustine in the book. Didn't see Sun Tze

>> No.15513964
File: 150 KB, 780x433, 1568722507585.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Madness, mayhem, erotic vandalism, devastation of innumerable souls - while we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.

>There is nothing more futile than to consciously look for something to save you. But consciousness makes this fact seem otherwise. Consciousness makes it seem as if (1) there is something to do; (2) there is somewhere to go; (3) there is something to be; (4) there is someone to know. This is what makes consciousness the parent of all horrors, the thing that makes us try to do something, go somewhere, be something, and know someone, such as ourselves, so that we can escape our MALIGNANTLY USELESS being and think that being alive is all right rather than that which should not be.

-Thomas Ligotti

>> No.15513978

>>15513746
Can't remember the exact quote but I always think about what Ishmael says to Ahab when they get back to england

>> No.15513995

Art thou pale for weariness
Climbing the heavens and gazing upon the Earth
Wandering companionless?

- An excerpt from "To the Moon" by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822).

"Actual happiness seems pretty squalid, in comparison to the overcompensation's for misery."

- Brave New World, Huxley.

"Now if death be of such a nature, I say that to die is gain; for eternity is then only a single night."

- Socrates.

"Their thoughts are as thin as lace, themselves as pitiable as lace making girls."

-Kierkergaard, Either/Or.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

- NEETche

"Beware the love of women; that ecstacy- that slow poison."

- First Love, Turgenev.

"It was as if the shame would outlive him."

- The Trial, Kafka.

"True pleasure only begins when the worm has made its way into the fruit."

- Bataille, My mother, Madam, Edwarda

>> No.15514037
File: 90 KB, 512x293, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"OF ALL THE COUNTLESS WAYS IN WHICH TO LOSE ONE'S BALANCE
>THE PURSUIT OF VENGEANCE ECLIPSES ALL OTHERS
>LURING THE UNWARY FROM HIS PATH,
>TURNING THE WILLFUL INTO A WEAPON
>AND LEADING THE FOOL TO EMBRACE HIS OWN UNDOING"

Keeper Anals, Thief 2X

>"The idea of Revolution is the opposite of the idea of Providence"

> "Heaven sends us habit instead of hapinness"
Evgheni Onegin

>As soon as you have made a thought - laugh at it.
Lao Tzu

>“Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.”
Kierkegaard

>“Whatever is rejected from the self, appears in the world as an event.”
Jung

>A disciple asked an elder, “Elder, why are you happy all day long?”
>The elder replied, “Because all night long I weep for my sins before God.”
Elder Joseph of Vatopedi

>> No.15514056

>>15514037
>>“Whatever is rejected from the self, appears in the world as an event.”
i don't get it

>> No.15514080

>"Truth could be crucified; but soon, perhaps, a resurrection."
-A Canticle for Leibowitz

>"That was my life. But was it life, O my God?"
-Augustine's Confessions

Can't come up with anything else right now, trash memory.

>> No.15514093

>>15514056
Haven't read much Jung, but I think the meaning is, at least in a layman's sense, is that whatever you consciously distance yourself from becomes more known as a concept the more that distancing is practicing. As it begins to take on a greater shape in your mind, it gets pushed away further, but the clearer picture of it increases the anxiety you feel about it (cf. seeing a blurry orange shape in the woods that could be a pile of leaves vs seeing something that is undoubtedly a charging tiger). As you think more on it, you begin to notice it more often in the day-to-day, appearing as the aforementioned event. This continues until the self-what is not self barrier is eroded-acceptance is reached with whatever occurred, and outside examples no longer apply because they aren't part of the self, as they are entirely different scenarios.

Hope this helps.

>> No.15514149

A few Proverbs

A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding
than a hundred blows into a fool.

Let a man meet a she-bear robbed of her cubs
rather than a fool in his folly.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
and those who love it will eat its fruits.

House and wealth are inherited from fathers,
but a prudent wife is from the Lord.

Buy truth, and do not sell it;
buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.

The devising of folly is sin,
and the scoffer is an abomination to mankind.

>> No.15514167

>AN ARMY OF LOVERS CAN BE BEATEN

>> No.15514215

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed
Are God and Nature then at strife,
That Nature lends such evil dreams?
So careful of the type she seems,
So careless of the single life;

Tennyson, In Memoriam A.H.H.

>> No.15514231

Garbage thread except for 2nd post and >>15514149

>> No.15514250
File: 728 KB, 1000x523, Bonneville-Salt-Flats-Utah-resized.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>There I saw one I knew, and stopped him, crying: “Stetson!
>“You who were with me in the ships at Mylae!
>“That corpse you planted last year in your garden,
>“Has it begun to sprout? Will it bloom this year?
>“Or has the sudden frost disturbed its bed?
- TS Eliot, The Waste Land, I. The Burial of the Dead

>Who is the third who walks always beside you?
>When I count, there are only you and I together
>But when I look ahead up the white road
>There is always another one walking beside you
>Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
>I do not know whether a man or a woman
>—But who is that on the other side of you?

>What is that sound high in the air
>Murmur of maternal lamentation
>Who are those hooded hordes swarming
>Over endless plains, stumbling in cracked earth
>Ringed by the flat horizon only
>What is the city over the mountains
>Cracks and reforms and bursts in the violet air
>Falling towers
>Jerusalem Athens Alexandria
>Vienna London
>Unreal
- Ibid, V. What the Thunder Said

No idea why the first passage was so immediately memorable to me. I couldn't make much sense of it at all when I first read it. The imagery in the second passage is really something else though.

>> No.15514259

>>15514250
There's something strangely comical about reading such an incredible poem in greentext form.

>> No.15514260
File: 40 KB, 351x500, Lincoln's Midnight Thinky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15513964
>History licks a finger and turns the page.
- Thos. Ligotti

That's a good one.

>How true it is that "God tempers the wind to the shorn lamb,'' or in other words, that He renders the worst of human conditions tolerable, while He permits the best, to be nothing better than tolerable.
- A. Lincoln, letter to Mary Speed, Sept 9, 1841

>> No.15514529
File: 913 KB, 720x540, [Scoped] Fist of the North Star - 045 [BD 720x540 x264] [AC3 JPN] [SUB].mkv_snapshot_19.16_[2020.06.03_08.17.22].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15513778
I get a real sense of character from your choices.

>And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea?
t. J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion

> What good is my pity? Is not pity the cross on which he is nailed who loves man? But my pity is no crucifixion!
t. Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

>EVERYTHING NOT FORBIDDEN IS COMPULSORY
t. T.H. White, The Once and Future King

>Bosh.
t. Jack London, The Sea Wolf

>> No.15514545

>>15513783
What does it mean? People become poets because of a sense of humiliation?

>> No.15514588

>>15514529
Hmm? If you don't mind my query, what sort of sense do you get?

>> No.15514600

>>15514545
As the poster of that quote I always read it as the intensity of feeling that is so often attributed to poets making itself known. Blake turning his visions into works of art, the dreams of Hesiod and Caedmon turning doing the same with their dreams, among others. Because the feeling is "intense", the poet is "fragile", and possibly insecure; minor slights become humiliations in his eye, and the fervor the humiliations-the drive to overcome them, as well-becomes the soil from which the fruit of poetry grows, aka inspires writing.

>> No.15514615

>>15514588
Hard to articulate, a confident nihilist with just a sprinkle of effete faggot artsy type, maybe.

>> No.15514656

>have stayed with you from the very moment you read them, and that still come back to you from time to time
They are mainly bible verses but here.

Jeremiah 6:13,14
>For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
>They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.

Psalm 119:104
>Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

Ezekiel 33:11
>Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
The for why will ye die, O house of Israel? is always sobering.

1 Kings 19:18
>Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

>Yea, if there were the least real delight in sin, there could be no perfect hell, where men shall most perfectly be tormented with their sin.
- Thomas Brooks

>> No.15514701

>>15514615
Four years ago, you would have been spot on.

Your selection seems to paint an energetic picture. I wouldn't be surprised if you hike, camp, or perhaps merely lift at a frequent rate.

>> No.15514738

>There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams. Before they hung him from the gallows, these were the final words he said:

-"My fortune is yours for the taking, but you'll have to find it first. I left everything I own in One Piece"

>> No.15514844

>>15514738
very based.

a few more

>"That's the one immortal thing about a mortal, Leuco. The memory he carries with him, the memory he leaves behind him. That is what names and words are! When they remember even somber men smile. A smile of resignation."
-Cesar Pavese, Dialogues with Leuco

>"Yes, I can endure guilt, however horrible. The laughter of my enemies I will not endure."
-Medea, Euripides

>"Can you walk on water? You have done no better than a straw. Can you fly in the air? You have done no better than a bluebottle. Conquer your own heart; then you may become somebody."
-Ansari of Herat

>"I've heard my teacher say, where there are machines, there are bound to be machine worries; where there are machine worries, there are bound to be machine hearts. With a machine heart in your breast, you've spoiled the pure and simple; and without the pure and simple, the life of the spirit knows no rest."
-Zhuangzhi

>"Generations of men are like the leaves./
In winter, winds blow them down to earth,
but then, when spring season comes again,
the budding wood grows more. And so with men—
one generation grows, another dies away."
-Glaucus, The Iliad

>> No.15514962

"for in the black-foaming gutters and back alleys of paradise, in the dank windowless gloom of some galactic cellar, in the hollow pearly whorls found in sewerlike seas, in the starless cities of insantiy, and in their slums...my awe-struck little deer and I have gone frolicking...".
- Ligotti

We could not deny it, cause we could not admit it. Was our love to strong to die, or were we just to weak to kill it?
-Matt Johnson

Die Liebe bringt die hohen und verborgenen Eigenschaften eines Liebenden an's Licht,—sein Seltenes, Ausnahmsweises: insofern täuscht sie leicht über Das, was Regel an ihm ist. (Aphorism 163 of beyond good and evil, if you want a translation)
-Nietzsche

Hier fängt die Geschichte an.
-Walter Moers (needs context)

>> No.15515098
File: 1.75 MB, 1203x830, d13eef54-c2aa-4d07-a4fa-23c9a8d14cbc~01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15513746
Travel is useful, it exercises the imagination. All the rest is disappointment and fatigue. Our journey is entirely imaginary. That is its strength.
It goes from life to death. People, animals, cities, things, all are imagined. It's a novel, just a fictitious narrative. Littré says so, and he's never wrong.
And besides, in the first place, anyone can do as much. You just have to close your eyes.
It's on the other side of life.

Louis Ferdinand Celine

>> No.15515964

Bump

>> No.15516084

>>15513746
>But as in landlessness alone resides highest truth, shoreless, indefinite as God—so, better is it to perish in that howling infinite, than be ingloriously dashed upon the lee, even if that were safety! For worm-like, then, oh! who would craven crawl to land! Terrors of the terrible! is all this agony so vain? Take heart, take heart, O Bulkington! Bear thee grimly, demigod! Up from the spray of thy ocean-perishing—straight up, leaps thy apotheosis!

>> No.15516119

THe entirety of Waiting for Godot, desu

“ESTRAGON
What am I to say?
VLADIMIR
Say, I am happy.
ESTRAGON
I am happy.
VLADIMIR
So am I.
ESTRAGON
So am I.
VLADIMIR
We are happy.
ESTRAGON
We are happy. (Silence.) What do we do now, now that we are happy?”

"I’m going." (He does not move)

"-Did I ever leave you
- you let me go"

Taken out of context, this one sounds like it's from a bad romcom, but what makes it so good is its place in the play. Standing between anxiety and dark humour, you have this sudden, brutal burst of honest. Imo one of the things that makes WFG so great is Becketts mastery of contrast, between laughter, existential dread and true human bonding. Amazing stuff.

My first love used to really like this play. We talked about it a lot. Fond memories.

Not from Godot but another Beckett quote I really love :

"The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new".

Pure bleakness.

>> No.15516182
File: 128 KB, 1280x1280, 1587774904751.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15513746
>‘That is all about the raising of Lazarus,’ she whispered severely and abruptly, and turning away she stood motionless, not daring to raise her eyes to him. She still trembled feverishly. The candle-end was flickering out in the battered candlestick, dimly lighting up in the poverty-stricken room the murderer and the harlot who had so strangely been reading together the eternal book. Five minutes or more passed.
Yeah yeah I know i'm a translation fag, I'm learning Russian still, but this passage has stuck with me since highschool.