[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 300x475, Maurice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1550716 No.1550716 [Reply] [Original]

A question to the great minds of /lit/. I have a book on mind to read, Maurice. Should I read Maurice, or finish The Brothers Karamazov before I start a new read? My concern is that The Brothers Karamozov will warp my mind and ruin any value I can find in Maurice. Help me e/lit/es, I am but a fool.

>> No.1550720

If you already started Brothers, finish it. If you want to take breaks, read short story or poem. Don't get too far from it. That's how people end up not finishing books.

>> No.1550731

Shortly after Dmitry Karamazov was captured and brought in for questioning I lost interest in the novel and put it down for about two months; I was sad because I had honestly adored the novel up the point, and felt that I would never go back to it afterward.

In that two month period I read some short stories, a few other novels, and some poems. When I finally managed to pull Brothers Karamazov back off the shelf, and force yself through the interrogation, I found myself in familiar territory and read the book to its conclusion; and I loved it.

MORAL OF THE STORY: If you want to take a break, take one. Just make sure you finish Brothers, because it truly is a great novel.