[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 400x311, Paul_Kidby_Discworld.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1548119 No.1548119 [Reply] [Original]

I was thinking of getting into Terry Pratchett books and discworld. What order should i follow? and does it worth it

>> No.1548126
File: 579 KB, 1000x1795, the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1548119
First result on Google. You're welcome.

>> No.1548137

Pratchett doesn't really write them as a single series; he just uses his world as a jumping-off point for a universe of fiction. Start wherever. Everyone else did. He's very good at filling you in on relevant details without you noticing.

>> No.1548138

>>1548126
thx buddy, man that's a lot of books

>> No.1548152

>>1548137

Everyone says this but I really do think it's a lot better if you read them in order.

>> No.1548160

Go with the Death series or the Watch series if you don't plan to read them all. Most people start with Rincewind, since The Colour of Magic, really sets up that world, but his series is probably the least interesting of them all. It's good, just not as good.

>> No.1548161

>>1548137

yeah hes really good at doing that. he fucking loves putting *

*and then using up like a half of a page just on the little star note at the bottom that fills in history, or sometimes just complete madness that he couldnt work into the story but wants to put in anyway. it makes such an interesting read. for a long time throughout his books he doesnt use chapters in his writing, that and his star notes really show me how his imigination is just blitzed onto the page, he was pumping books out of such high quality for such a long time. what a guy to get alzheimers, just pushed his creativity to the point where his brain started to cave in on itself in my opinion.

>> No.1548172

>>1548152

for sure, i read them in order, you just get shit properly if you do that. the discworld grows in your mind in the same way it grew in his you see. and it is a world, most of the books happen in a different country, the depth is increible.ere are a handful of recurring characters and countries.