[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 174 KB, 810x1080, underground-history-of-american-education.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15389157 No.15389157 [Reply] [Original]

This is the most underrated book of all time. It explains how we got to where we are as a society. These are two random paragraphs taken from page 329:

"In the society just ahead, one profession has astonishingly good prospects. I'm referring to the various specialties associated with policing the angry, the disaffected, and the embittered. Because school promises are mathematically impossible to keep, they were, from the beginning, a Ponzi scheme like Social Security. The creative minority who unleashed this well-schooled whirlwind 100 years ago seems to have finally exhausted its imaginative power as it transmuted slowly into a dominant minority without much creative energy. Dr. Toynbee points to such a transition as an unmistakeable sign of society in decline. Another ominous sign for Toynbee: the increasing use of police and armies to protect private interests."

"The first Enlightenment as a false one. It merely transferred the right to direct our lives from a corporate Church and a hereditary nobility to a pack of experts whose minds were (and are) for sale to anyone with a checkbook. In the second Enlightenment we need to correct our mistakes, using what schools we decide to allow to help us strive for full consciousness, for self-assertion, mental independence, and personal sovereignty-- for a release from tutelage for everybody. Only in this way can we make use of our understanding without guidance from strangers who work for a corporate state system, increasingly impatient with human beings."

>> No.15389695

It sounds like a loser cringing about the winners. Capitalism is a fair system because it gives everyone a chance. No, not an equal chance, of course some people are born with money. Then again, some people are born with better genes, which matters just as much. But even an idiot can find a niche in a capitalist society. It's up to you to be a sore loser.

>> No.15389789
File: 65 KB, 540x540, common core.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Keep reading, OP, you're on the right track.

>> No.15390072

>>15389157
>durr i needs someones to tells me whats tah do
Hire a tutor and fuck off.

>> No.15390659

>>15389695
>produces unparalleled material wealth
>arbitrarily forces a percentage of society to live in debt slavery
great system

>> No.15390668

>>15389157
sounds like a dumber version of deschooling society

>> No.15391139

>>15389157
It's just typical libertarian gibberish.
>Because school promises are mathematically impossible to keep, they were, from the beginning, a Ponzi scheme like Social Security
What does this even mean? Can you even elaborate in a sensible manner? The only promise of schooling is providing some minimum of education to meet the practical needs of life. How can that be "mathematically impossible"? The absolutely horrible shape of education isn't because of some ontological reason but policy failure. Not allowing your population to be morons isn't a bad idea but America obviously failed in that regard.
Do you even understand what a ponzi scheme is? A ponzi scheme fundamentally must go insolvent at some point because the rate of growth is impossible to meet. Gatto is just a typical conservative moron so his opposition to something like Social Security is understandable but it's not a "ponzi scheme", you don't even need population growth neccesarily just a real economic growth rate which is very possible.

>>15389695
He doesn't like the idea of corporate bodies having more authority over children than their kin i.e. a breakdown in a key characteristic of more primitive society.

>> No.15391323

>>15390668
>>15391139
This was ONE page out of 390. Do you think the entire book is the author repeating himself over and over? No. There is so much more to the book. It is incredible.

>> No.15391353

>>15389695
This
Cringe thread

>> No.15391362
File: 5 KB, 200x200, hegel smile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15391323
I'm claiming his entire thesis is wrong. Any page you select I can shit on because Gatto doesn't seriously deal with any primary sources.

>> No.15391383

>>15389157
Gatto is great! There is a reason why these pseuds dislike him so much...

>> No.15391396

>>15391362
Are you a school administrator?

>> No.15391432

>>15391396
No, I'm just a big fan of Prussian discipline

>> No.15391491

>>15391139
This disgruntled anon is my new favorite

>> No.15391537

>>15391432
You are a fucking idiot.

>> No.15391543

>>15391139
Read the book.

>> No.15391557

>>15389695
>>15390072
>>15390668
>>15391139
>>15391353
>>15391362
You are all braindead.

>> No.15391610

>>15389695
>Capitalism is a fair system because it gives everyone a chance.
>actually believing this

>> No.15391754

If you believe nothing can be done for the dumb except kindness, because it’s biology (the bell-curve model); if you believe capitalist oppressors have ruined the dumb because they are bad people (the neo- Marxist model); if you believe dumbness reflects depraved moral fiber (the Calvinist model); or that it’s nature’s way of disqualifying boobies from the reproduction sweepstakes (the Darwinian model); or nature’s way of providing someone to clean your toilet (the pragmatic elitist model); or that it’s evidence of bad karma (the Buddhist model); if you believe any of the various explanations given for the position of the dumb in the social order we have, then you will be forced to concur that a vast bureaucracy is indeed necessary to address the dumb. Otherwise they would murder us in our beds.

The shocking possibility that dumb people don’t exist in sufficient numbers to warrant the careers devoted to tending to them will seem incredible to you. Yet that is my proposition: Mass dumbness first had to be imagined; it isn’t real.

Once the dumb are wished into existence, they serve valuable functions: as a danger to themselves and others they have to be watched, classified, disciplined, trained, medicated, sterilized, ghettoized, cajoled, coerced, jailed. To idealists they represent a challenge, reprobates to be made socially useful. Either way you want it, hundreds of millions of perpetual children require paid attention from millions of adult custodians. An ignorant horde to be schooled one way or another.

- Sent from my iPhone

>> No.15393366

>>15391754
Are these your own thoughts? Well done.

>> No.15393372

>>15389695
basado

>> No.15393379

>>15389157
This man has captured the essence of what it means to be an anti semite

>> No.15393417

>>15391754
A good post? On /lit/? Am I dreaming or did you quote this from some foucault book?

>> No.15393437

>>15389157
Aren't his arguments just repackaged Althusser? Not that this is bad, just not revolutionary.

>> No.15393448

>>15390659
It's not arbitrary. That's the entire point.

>> No.15393475

>>15393417
>foucault
What he's saying sounds either anarchist or libertarian to me, the whole thing is promoting negative liberty for the masses.

>> No.15393579

>>15393417
>thinking any of that was Foucault

>> No.15393746

>>15389157
Bump, this book is an absolute must-read.
Consider following it up with
>Facing Reality in American Public Education
Demonstrates forty years of failed reform programs which never apologize, explain, or learn from their failure.
>The Battle for Room 314 by Ed Boland
as a joke. A hilariously self-unaware foil to Gatto. Boland is literally everything wrong with the system and his account of trying to control an inner city classroom as a lisping out homothegshural who normally coordinates charity galas for the one percent is laugh out loud funny.
>thirty ways to take a field trip by spotted toad
Short, charming, realist, apolitical, personal.

>> No.15394012

>>15389157
Is it really any good? I listened to him give a really incoherent interview a few years ago and it really turned me off.

>> No.15394046

>>15394012
What is your stance on the public education system?

>> No.15394072

>>15394046
Depends where you live, but private is better most of the time.

>> No.15394146

>>15394072
Ok, you need to read it. There is a whooooole other way of looking at what modern education truly is.

>> No.15394604

Here is one part of the book,

"In 1995, just about one hundred years after the inception of modern institutional schooling in America, the little town of Benson in Western Vermont set a national record by voting down its proposed school budget for the twelfth time. (footnote: Shortly after this twelfth defeat at the hands of local citizens, the state stepped in to override the judgement of the voters. In January, 1996, the Vermont State Senate passed a bill to forcibly "lend" th Benson School district the full amount of its twelve-time citizen-rejected budget. Benson voters would now pay the full amount demanded by the school district plus interest!) Charlie Usher, assistant superintendent in Benson, declared his bewilderment at the town's irresponsibility. Said Usher, "We should all try to get at the root of why these people are willing to let their schools fall apart." I think Mr. Usher is right, so let's see what we can turn up by using common sense. But first, to show how united in outrage Benson school officials were, Education Week, the bible of the teaching business, quoted Theresa Mulholland, principal at the Benson school (more on this shortly) as saying nobody in town had a good explanation for what they were doing: "I think they just want to say 'No,'" she said, as if those townspeople were ornery kids or retarded children. Benson just didn't get it. Schools need lots of money, or, as Usher suggested, they fall apart.

The Education Week piece in which I read these things covered every single inch of a two-page tabloid spread, yet nowhere could I find a single word indicating the problem might just be that its taxpayers and voters didn't regard the Benson system as their own. Nor is there even a hint Benson may have abandoned its belief that what goes on in school is an essential enterprise worth a substantial part of its income to promote." cont.

>> No.15394628

>>15389789
So, that's a terrible way to teach and it's awfully worded question, but there is an interesting lesson in there. Presumably, if it were done right, they'd be teaching children to see numbers as sets rather than objects. Of course, that's a pretty easy thing to do in the traditional way anyways, so I'm not sure why anybody thought this was necessary.

>> No.15394648

cont. pg. 346
"So I read this newspaper account of a little town in Vermont and its defiance of the state school institution pretty carefully because I sensed some important messages buried there. On the third run-through I discovered what I was looking for. Let's start with Assistant Superintendent Usher. His title implies that hidden somewhere out of sight there is a Superintendent Somebody, too. If you don't find that odd it's because I haven't told you that the entire school district of Benson has exactly one school with 137 kids in it. A brand-new school with a principal too. Apparently you can't have a principal without an assistant superintendent giving orders to that lowly functionary and a superintendent giving orders to the assistant superintendent. Three high-ranking pedagogues whose collective cost for services is about $250,000-- nearly $2,000 a kid. That's nice work if you can get it.

The new Benson school itself is worth a closer look. Its construction caused property taxes to go up 40 percent in one year, quite a shock to local homeowners just hanging on by their fingernails. This school would have been rejected outright by local taxpayers, who had (they thought) a perfectly good school already, but the state condemned the old school for not having wheelchair ramps and other features nobody ever considered an essential part of education before. Costs of reaching code compliance in the old structure were so close to the cost of a new school that taxpayers surrendered. The bond issue was finally voted. Even so, it passed only narrowly. What happened next will be no surprise. Benson School turned out to cost a lot more than voters expected. I am skeptical that it cost more than the State of Vermont expected, though." cont.

>> No.15394702

cont.
"I have some personal experience with Vermont's condemnation of sound school strutters from he little town of Walden, hardly more than a speck on the map northeast of Benson in the most beautiful hill country you can imagine. A few years ago, four pretty one-room schools dating from the nineteenth century, schools still serving 120 kids with just four teachers and no administrators, were condemned by the same crew from Montpelier that gave Benson its current tax headache. I was asked by a citizen group in Walden to drive up and speak at a rally to save these remarkable community schools, beloved by their clientele. If I tell you when I woke in the morning in Walden a moose was rooting vegetables from the garden of my hostess' home you'll be able to imagine them better.

The group I came to speak for, "The Road Rats" as it called itself, had already defeated school consolidation the previous year. Montpelier's goal was to close the little schools and bus kids to a new central location miles from home. Now Montpelier took off he gloves. If persuasion and seduction wouldn't work, coercion would. Let's call what happened "The Benson Maneuver," passing building code provisions with no connection to normal reality. This accomplished, Vermont condemned the one-room schools for violation of these provisions. All official estimates to reach new code standards were very close to the price of consolidating the little schools into a big new one.

Road Rat resistance would be unlikely to mobilize a voting majority a second time; the publicists of mass-production economics have successfully altered public taste to believe it doesn't make sense to repair something old when for the same price you can have something new. Our only hope lay in getting a construction bid low enough that voters could see they had been slim-flammed." cont.

>> No.15394765

cont.
"It seemed worth a try. The Walden group had been unable to find a contractor willing to publicly oppose the will of Montpelier, but by a lucky accident I knew a Vermont master architect. I called his home in Montpelier. Two hours later he was in Walden touring the condemned buildings.

Vital to understand why the state wanted these places closed so badly was that everything in such places worked against professionalization and standardization: parents were too close to the classroom to allow smooth "professional" governance to sneak by unnoticed. It wasn't possible in such schools to float a scientifically prepared curriculum initiative without having it come under close and critical scrutiny. That was int9olerable to Montpelier, or rather to the larger octopus the Montpelier tentacle wiggled for.

After inspection, my architect pronounced the official estimates to reach code compliance cynical and dishonest. They were three times higher than the work would cost allowing for a normal profit. My architect knew the principals in the politically well-connected construction firms which had submitted the inflated bids. He knew the game they were playing, too. "The purpose of this is to kill one-room schools, " he said. "All these guys will be paid off one way or another with state work for forwarding the agenda whether they get this state job or not." I asked if he would give us a counter-estimate we might use to wake up voters. "No, he said. "If I did I wouldn't get another building job in Vermont."

Let's get back to Benson, a classic illustration how the political state and its licensed allies feed like parasites on working men and women. Where Education Week saw deep mystery over citizen disaffection, the facts put a different spin on things. In a jurisdiction serving only 137 children, a number which would have been handled in the old and successful Walden schools with four teachers-- and no supervisors other than the town's traditions and the willing oversight loving parents would provide because the students were, after all, their own kids-- taxpayers were being forced to sustain the expense of:
1. A non-teaching superintendent
2. A non-teaching assistant superintendent
3. A non-teaching principal
4. A non-teaching assistant principal
5. A fill-time nurse
6. A full-time guidance counselor
7. A full-time librarian
8. Eleven full-time schoolteachers
9. An unknown number of accessory personnel
10. Space, desks, supplies, technology for all of those"

>> No.15395344 [DELETED] 

PHA Cnut Brinton hyperkalemia, caviar to the general, NGEO KR liberaltarian, bronzesmithing reliability, vascularizable antidescriptivism, reinvigoratingly, belowground offenceful recidivism, Wake Islander Central City, unzealously mingled mucopolysaccharidosis type I, tweetheart booted upstairs, imperviously airlinked, fungusproof, unenthralling exhilarant, spruiker, barbie, ouphe, daughterless, striature postcommunist turangawaewae, photoprocessed Caucasus Minor, panicolytic, Peruvian lily, corn smut, triradial microspark unravelment, nonbusiness, tweaked, wrist shot, intrinsic brightness, magnetoactive, grazes, photocromism, site-faithful, Harlemite foreign secretary, SSK, whoobub, esthesiometry, roommately corrodibility nonliquid, portable executable, hepatoportal propertied plastic heart rate monitor, nonanoic zerconid, lionheartedness inequal, thump-thump, unmarketed quinable manumotive, soffietta, continentalism, transverse nonclayey, unbounteous, pulvinated cloistral, osseter phantasmata, maggoted gnomesayin, wilful nightclubber steamfitter unabased, fluorescently, tindaloo, unwanted argyrin, upheaped Russianisms, clonalization, in re, estranged talkiness, Pushkinesque onomasticons, unlost unciform get out of jail free card, Hogmanay, Visitation, JG Khufu, Daffy GEWEX, Rovaniemi, Fanti, Robbo Patterson, Bethe lattice, quare Jerald antitaxic, lutose, bayag-kambing hick-hop, screwed around ace boon coon, aplanospore Annabel, Arabized Lepanto-Bontoc, undeceivably, patronizer, wagerable thoral, rebolted nonidentity problem mannered nummulation, unseaming, nickel and dimed mischosen, distender throat, derayed flop style unleadable indoors, tee hee hee, antibioresistance shabbos goy, lienteric, desolately unaccursed indistinctly antitropomyosin eigendirection, premorse, censoriously, Euskara, lari, canvasback, cloud seeding insensuous apobaramin, togue, bhikku gafiated, common coupling, hyperbolized, tetter stepbrother, next level, retracked holmes, drinking fountain albuminuric, Grand Turk befrosted Balfour, tractile forensical antigentilism outtalking slaughterhouse, yellow broom, pis-en-deux adscititiously bromic, kingcraft, orbital defense platform canaliculi, birthday-girl, readapted dicalcic, spleno-soritical Eurocommunism, darting cafeteria Catholic slighter, anticardium, low-context culture amp. hr. overhunting, substrated surfacemen, ethological full deckisms, rectus casus servery, fibrillar rip-off, software escrow, mythemic slipes, isosterically exec. urostege, crotchal antimaterial, centrocecal, Trnava counterline, Calabar, Jowett, tributary load administratrixship, Cartier rewoven, queenhood post-increment, dudgeoned, respects, graphene banner lord, adipokine septimal millimetrical, kuru, sofritto breakfast bar, double-replacement reaction, natural history, plumping Voegelinian, metasomatically, airs, Dorking Holsteiner, scholar, intraocularly, obligors photometrically, unwrecked antipolar, countercyclical guaranteeability, trecks

>> No.15395516

PHA Cnut Brinton hyperkalemia, caviar to the general, NGEO KR liberaltarian, bronzesmithing reliability, vascularizable, reinvigoratingly, belowground offenceful recidivism, Wake Islander Central City, unzealously mingled mucopolysaccharidosis type I, tweetheart booted upstairs, imperviously airlinked, fungusproof, unenthralling exhilarant, spruiker, barbie, ouphe, daughterless, striature postcommunist turangawaewae, photoprocessed Caucasus Minor, panicolytic, Peruvian lily, corn smut, triradial microspark unravelment, nonbusiness, tweaked, wrist shot, intrinsic brightness, magnetoactive, grazes, photocromism, site-faithful, Harlemite foreign secretary, SSK, whoobub, esthesiometry, roommately corrodibility nonliquid, portable executable, hepatoportal propertied plastic heart rate monitor, nonanoic zerconid, lionheartedness inequal, thump-thump, unmarketed quinable manumotive, soffietta, continentalism, transverse nonclayey, unbounteous, pulvinated cloistral, osseter phantasmata, maggoted gnomesayin, wilful nightclubber steamfitter unabased, fluorescently, tindaloo, unwanted argyrin, upheaped Russianisms, clonalization, in re, estranged talkiness, Pushkinesque onomasticons, unlost unciform get out of jail free card, Hogmanay, Visitation, JG Khufu, Daffy GEWEX, Rovaniemi, Fanti, Robbo Patterson, Bethe lattice, quare Jerald antitaxic, lutose, bayag-kambing hick-hop, screwed around ace boon coon, aplanospore Annabel, Arabized Lepanto-Bontoc, undeceivably, patronizer, wagerable thoral, rebolted nonidentity problem mannered nummulation, unseaming, nickel and dimed mischosen, distender throat, derayed flop style unleadable indoors, tee hee hee, antibioresistance shabbos goy, lienteric, desolately unaccursed indistinctly antitropomyosin eigendirection, premorse, censoriously, Euskara, lari, canvasback, cloud seeding insensuous apobaramin, togue, bhikku gafiated, common coupling, hyperbolized, tetter stepbrother, next level, retracked holmes, drinking fountain albuminuric, Grand Turk befrosted Balfour, tractile forensical antigentilism outtalking slaughterhouse, yellow broom, pis-en-deux adscititiously bromic, kingcraft, orbital defense platform canaliculi, birthday-girl, readapted dicalcic, spleno-soritical Eurocommunism, darting cafeteria Catholic slighter, anticardium, low-context culture amp. hr. overhunting, substrated surfacemen, ethological full deckisms, rectus casus servery, fibrillar rip-off, software escrow, mythemic slipes, isosterically exec. urostege, crotchal antimaterial, centrocecal, Trnava counterline, Calabar, Jowett, tributary load administratrixship, Cartier rewoven, queenhood post-increment, dudgeoned, respects, graphene banner lord, adipokine septimal millimetrical, kuru, sofritto breakfast bar, double-replacement reaction, natural history, plumping Voegelinian, metasomatically, airs, Dorking Holsteiner, scholar, intraocularly, obligors photometrically, unwrecked antipolar, countercyclical guaranteeability, trecks scove cognitariat

>> No.15396246

>>15395516
?

>> No.15397028

>>15395516
is this some nick land shit?

>> No.15397055

>>15389695
>shitposting about capitalism
>the subject is education (specifically STATE education)
false flaggers need to go

>> No.15397068

>>15391139
>The only promise of schooling is providing some minimum of education to meet the practical needs of life. How can that be "mathematically impossible"?

Read up on Human Capital theory as the justification of education run and controlled by the state. Then consider how it is the average American can go through 13+ years of schooling and be as socially valuable as a high school grad 50 years ago. It's literally a ponzi scheme to get money from us to school faculty.

>> No.15397072

>>15391362
>>15391432

t. school board karen justifying their parasitic existence

>> No.15397101

>>15394628
>that's a pretty easy thing to do in the traditional way anyways, so I'm not sure why anybody thought this was necessary.

if it ain't broke, but doesn't fit your political agenda and you need a patronage system for fellow managerial elites, then break it

>> No.15397117

>>15394702
>If persuasion and seduction wouldn't work, coercion would. Let's call what happened "The Benson Maneuver," passing building code provisions with no connection to normal reality. This accomplished, Vermont condemned the one-room schools for violation of these provisions. All official estimates to reach new code standards were very close to the price of consolidating the little schools into a big new one.

Statists, regulators, and corporatists. Scorn them, they are parasites.

>> No.15397161

>>15391754
you talk about dumb people like some people are just hopelessly forever dumb in their essential nature. I'd say that is a fallacy. society is geared in many ways to make people stupider, and to exploit their stupidity. think if it was the opposite. I think it's difficult for many to imagine given the way things are now. but is possible.

>> No.15398352

>>15397068
>Read up on Human Capital theory as the justification of education run and controlled by the state.
I don't think you know what human capital theory is. It doesn't "justify" public expenditure per se but is a theory of interpreting labour markets a little different from standard neoclassical economics. In fact believers in it would be dramatically opposed to how schools are run because they're not based on market principles... sudents don't get paid or incur costs for their performance until they're old enough that it's to late.

>Then consider how it is the average American can go through 13+ years of schooling and be as socially valuable as a high school grad 50 years ago. It's literally a ponzi scheme to get money from us to school faculty.
Have you considered the skills in demand in the economy has dramatically changed from 1970 but schooling hasn't much? I don't agree it's a ponzi scheme because there's no reason the government can't keep subsidizing costs and people are still freely borrowing and demanding higher education as it stands. One big problem is corporations cost shifting all training expenses onto individuals or the public.

>>15397072
I think schools are shit for a big variety of very real reasons but the idea of forcing people to not be idiots is a good idea.

>> No.15398734

>>15398352
Hey, you really need to read Gatto's book. The issue is much deeper than you think, and Gatto explains it well.

>> No.15398880

>>15398734
What's the "issue", present it in summarized form. Is it taking power away from parents? That's a progressive move breaking down one monopoly. Is it giving to much to the state with a standardize agenda? That's an issue but can be addressed rationally. Like I said before the basic thesis is wrong and Gatto's "research" is misrepresenting the work of numerous historical figures as just comic book villains. I accept that the state has a legitimate interest in education. I don't think children know what's best for themselves and parents are ideological despots as much as private and public corporate interests. To get to the best workable arrangement you're going to make mistakes but change has to occur and I don't fear that or think things were ever that "good".

>> No.15399093

>>15398880
You are so far off that it's hopeless for me to try to explain it to you. Read the book.

>> No.15399611

Why would a book covering a subject which isn't political or otherwise controversial need to be an "underground" sort of history? The facts about America's education should be readily available. I'm not sure what this Vice, or people's history sort of slant can add to the conversation.

>> No.15399714

>>15393366
>>15393417
it's a quote from the book in the OP, morons

>> No.15400281

>>15399611
Dumb post. The facts about America's education are readily available in Gatto's book. It is very political and controversial.

>> No.15400381

>>15400281
Ok but if the facts are so readily available then why would we need to read an "underground" sort of book? Again, the underground label implies that the facts have been widely suppressed and that this history book is the one that shows a more true and complete story. Again it's not that I dislike these sorts of books, I just dont agree with the presumption that the facts have been hidden or ignored for whatever reason.

>> No.15400707

>>15399093
Have you actually read any of the primary villians in Gatto's book or are you taking his word for it? I mean making statements like:
>[William Torrey] Harris was inspired by the notion that correctly managed mass schooling would result in a population so dependent on leaders that schism and revolution would be things of the past. If a world state could be cobbled together by Hegelian tactical manipulation, and such a school plan imposed upon it, history itself would stop. No more wars, no civil disputes, just people waiting around pleasantly like the Eloi in Wells’ The Time Machine. Waiting for Teacher to tell them what to do. The psychological tool was alienation. The trick was to alienate children from themselves so they couldn’t turn inside for strength, to alienate them from their families, religions,cultures, etc., so that no countervailing force could intervene.
How accurate are those sort of statements? It sounds pretty nasty but Gatto isn't a Hegel scholar so I doubt he can understand what's written. You can easily access the sources and see how fair his assessment is
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Harris%2C+William+Torrey%2C+1835-1909%22

Also dismissing the case for immigrant control and eugenics as "elitist" is so passé. The cases being made were more sophisticated than you want to believe, see e.g. "Races and Immigrants in America" by John R. Commons
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34028/34028-h/34028-h.htm

>> No.15401058

>>15394765
>>15394702
>>15394648
>>15394604
pretty interesting. do you think its worth reading as a canadian? i was thinking about homeschooling my kid because quite frankly, i think school is traumatic by design. to this day i have nightmares about missed assignments, being late for tests and so on.

>> No.15402441

>>15401058
It's worth reading for anyone, even people in the third world who are probably experiencing influence from the West to modernize and institute mass compulsory schooling.

>> No.15403591

>>15399714
you should have said so

>> No.15405123
File: 46 KB, 640x591, common core 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15389695
>>15390668
>>15391353
>>15391362
>>15394628
>>15395516
>>15399611
>>15400707
>>15400381

You don't get it. These childish, zero-effort and (let's face it) low-IQ posts just make it more obvious that OP is on the right track. Free advertising

>>15391754
Absolutely brilliant troll

>> No.15405152

>>15394628
For 99.999% of people who use math, including research mathematicians, there is absolutely no reason to think of numbers as sets.

>> No.15405157

>>15390659
“Arbitrarily”

>> No.15405271

>>15405157
I can fix that
>produces unparalleled material wealth
>indoctrinates and forces a large percentage of society to live in debt slavery

>> No.15405276

>>15405271
BUT JUST PICK YOURSELF UP FROM YOUR BOOTSTRAPS, IDIOT

>> No.15406037

>>15405152
Thing is, people who aren't literally retarded already do that, automatically. How does your brain solve something like 153 + 268?

268 + 3 = 271
271+ 50 = 321
321 + 100 = 421

Your brain does basic operations by breaking one of the numbers down and then applying it digit by digit to the other and it usually does this on autopilot and very quickly. The """problem""" with this state of affairs that common core addresses is that all other things considered, melanin levels generally correlate negatively with academic performance and especially maths; common core was designed to slow down internalization and remove "shortcuts" like the traditional methods of solving problems on paper, essentially hamstringing everyone to the lowest possible common denominator.

>> No.15406446

>>15391610
>>15389695
>>15405271
Anyone whining about capitalism needs to remember it's already been adjusted with socialism to make things more "fair". Dozens of rules, regulations, and permits make it uneconomical to own and operate a small business, or even buy a house, without a loan from (((banks))), businesses can't tell you by law who they're looking for so you waste your time as they hire Megan, Paco, and Tyrone, and thousands of others.

>> No.15406904

>>15406446
>Dozens of rules, regulations, and permits make it uneconomical to own and operate a small business, or even buy a house, without a loan from (((banks)))
This is true. But it doesn't really have to do with The Underground History. If you think about it though, corporations benefit from those red-tape regulations and loans to the detriment of small-businesses. And Gatto talks about how corporate interests have influenced the education industry.

>> No.15406927

>>15406446
Also you're an idiot for following that same boomer capitalist and racist mindset. Talking about how scaled taxation and some redistribution is a bad thing, and being racist towards black people and Mexicans. You don't look at people as people because you've been brainwashed by the system.

>> No.15408152

bump

>> No.15408690

Why are there so many pointless shit threads sliding ones like this?

>> No.15409359

>>15398880
>>15391139
>>15389695
pg 351 "<i>Public Opinion<i/> (by Walter Lippmann) called for severe restrictions on public debate. The historic American argument was 'a defect of democracy.' It was impossible, said Lippman, for the public even to <i>know<i/> what its own best interests were. The public was hopelessly childish; it had to be cared for. Schools would have to teach children that the old ideal of active, participatory citizenship was biologically impossible. Decisions ib complex industrial society had to be made by 'invisible experts acting through government officials' for the good of all."

If you think that the "hopelessly childish" public is not talking about you, but rather blacks, poor people, etc., ask yourself if you have any power to shape government or economic decisions.

>> No.15409370

is <i> this </i> how you italicize words?

>> No.15409517

pg 353-354 "To get where we got, public imagination had to be manufactured from command centers, but how was this managed? In 1914 Andrew Carnegie, spiritual leader of the original band of hard-nosed dreamers, gained influence over the Federal Council of Churches by extending heavy subsidies to its operations. And in 1918 Carnegie endowed a meeting in London of the American Historical Association where an agreement was made to rewrite American history in the interests of social efficiency. Not all leaders were of a single mind, of course. History isn't that simple. Beatrice Webb declined to accept financial aid from Carnegie on her visit, for instance, calling him 'a little reptile' behind his back; the high-born Mrs. Webb saw through Carnegie's pretensions, right into the merchant-ledger of his tradesman soul. But enough were of a single mind it made no practical difference.

On July 4, 1919, the London times carried a long account reporting favorably on the propaganda hydra being built by agents of Carnegie in the United States. According to the paper, men 'trained in the arts of swaying public opinion' were broadcasting Carnegie's agenda, an agenda which aims first at mobilizing world public opinion and then controlling it. The end of all this effort was already determined, said the Times--world government. As the newspaper set down the specifics in 1919, propaganda was the fuel to drive societies away from their past:

'Propaganda to mobilize the press, the church, the stage and cinema, the whole educational system, the universities, public and high schools, primary schools. Histories and textbooks will be revised. New books will be added, particularly in the primary school.'

>> No.15409614

cont.
"The same issue of the London Times carried a signed article by Owen Wister, famous author of the best-selling novel, The Virgininan. Wister was then on the Carnegie payroll. He pulled no punches, informing the upscale British readership, 'A movement to correct the schoolbooks of the United States has been started, and it will go on.'

In March 1925, the Saturday Evening Post featured an article by a prominent Carnegie official who stated that to bring about the world Carnegie envisioned, 'American labor will have to be reduced to the status of European labor.' (footnote:If the article were written today, the magnitude of reduction would be to an Asian or 'global' standard, I would imagine.) Ten years later, on December 19, 1935, the New York American carried a long article about what it referred to as a 'secret Carnegie Endowment conference' at the Westchester Country Club in Harrison, New York. Twenty-nine organizations attending each agreed to authorize a nationwide radio campaign managed and coordinated from behind the scenes, a campaign to commit the United States to a policy of internationalism. The group also agreed to present 'vigorous counter-action' against those who opposed this country's entrance into the League of Nations. Pearl Harbor was only six years away, an international showcase for globalism without peer.

Soon after this conference, almost every school in the United States was provided with full-size colored maps of the world and with League of Nations literature extolling the virtues of globalism. That's how it was done. That's how it still is done. Universal schooling is a permeable medium. There need not be conspiracy among its internal personnel to achieve astonishingly uniform results; multiply this tactical victory thousands of times and you get where we are. Today we call the continuation of this particular strand of leveling 'multiculturalism'-- even though every particular culture it touches is degraded ad insulted by the shallow veneer of universalism which hides the politics of the thing."