[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 126 KB, 256x376, catcher-in-the-rye-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1536430 No.1536430 [Reply] [Original]

Yo can we get a discussion goin on bout this book? We're reading it in my english class right now and there's this girl I like in my english class and I want to impress her with my knowledge

>> No.1536437

what do you think of the book so far, OP?

>> No.1536439

>>1536430
I'll start the discussion... what do you make of Holden misquoting "if a body meet a body" and not "if a body catch a body?" I'm aware he hears the kid singing it on the sidewalk... but what is the significance?

Why is Holden so afraid of time and decay?

>> No.1536443

Tell her about how you understand romantic failure.

>> No.1536445

>>1536437
OP here... it's a good read... though I can't decide if I like Holden or not. At some points he seems kinda douchey... at other points he's eerily similar to me.

>> No.1536450

>>1536430

>impress her with my knowledge
>about a book

Someone's not getting laid.

Ever.

Sage'd for not contributing.

>> No.1536453

>>1536439
bitches gon love dat fo sho.

Actually by the end of this OP's gonna end up sounding like the most pretentious prick ever.

OP just read the wikipedia article about it and call it a day.

>> No.1536457

>>1536453
even better read the spark notes for it

>> No.1536467

>>1536453
>>1536457
i read both of these... but they weren't too insightful. I just want to make a point that she'll be like... mmm he's smart. She likes smart guys.

>> No.1536471

I enjoyed the book. Apparently it inspired a lot of murderers to, Including the guy that shot John Lennon

>> No.1536485

>>1536439
Holden is an anally-retentive nutjob who refuses to allow himself or any other child grow up, hence the whole 'if a body catch a body' misquote. The cliff is the 'phoniness' that he feels adulthood is, the rye symbolizes childhood innocence, the catcher is his inability to mature. His fixation is embodied quite well by his rant about the 'fuck you' written on the wall, his insistence upon his sister riding the carousel, his apparent apathy towards school, &c., &c.

>> No.1536490

Heres a link supporting the murderer thing. http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27885
I don't know how impressed she would be that you know a lot about that subject though.

>> No.1536518

Loved the book, easily one of my favorites. The dialogue is palpable, and the 'phoniness' he describes is everyday activities and life. Read it a second time some time down the road, or even a few times, you'll enjoy it more and more. This book has been the favorites of some serial killers, and was on Mark David Chapman when he killed Lennon. But it's just a book, I'm sure serial killers enjoy the same food we do, who cares. Don't read spark notes/wikipedia OP, just chill and read the book at your own pace. Pussy will always be lingering around, don't sweat it, or this random HS girl you're trying to impress.

>> No.1536521

bump
I haven't read the book, but this might pique my interest.