[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.61 MB, 1943x2489, Shakespeare.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15353453 No.15353453 [Reply] [Original]

>write in an impossible language that nobody can understand
>be universally acclaimed
Why is this faggot considered to be the godfather of literature again?

>> No.15353460

>>15353453
Your life will be much better if you simply ignore *nglo literature along with their bugman idols

>> No.15353770
File: 5 KB, 225x225, 1586113633416.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15353453

>> No.15353793

>>15353453
Why is this faggot considered to be the godfather of literature again?

Propaganda, Anglo saxon imperialism's need for a Homer, Dante or Cervantes.

>> No.15354362

>>15353453

Because he wrote about more topics than any other writer, created more characters and more life views and personal philosophies than any other writer and all of that using a language that the gods would speak if they existed, and the angels cease their songs to listen to.

Basically you got the greatest of all poetic minds making his language serve muscle to flesh out several different worlds, and more different people than in any other corpus. Only Checkhov comes to my mind on variety of characters, but he lacks the divine poetic language.

If one only reads Hamlet, Romeu and Juliet and Macbeth, for example, one still has a very limited knowledge of the magnitude of Shakespeare’s achievement. If one read the major works in all the genres: Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, Henry IV, A Midsummer Night Dream, Twelfth Night and The Tempest, one still doesn’t get even half of the whole picture. If one really manages to read all the works the ocean of metaphors and similes, of characters and views of life is simply astounding.

Shakespeare would have been far smaller if he didn’t forced himself to choose plots and themes that he thought that audiences might enjoy, and had to nest inside the brains of different people to work on the medium of drama. Had he got a perpetual pension to only work in epic poems and courtly poetics and he would be only a white dwarf instead of the sun he became.

>> No.15354798

>>15353453
> Impossible language no-one can understand
I'm not a native speaker and can understand his plays fine. Some words need looking up, but any decent edition will have glossaries there with the text.
Shakespeare is great, kys faggot.

>> No.15354807

>write in an impossible language that nobody can understand
"Everyone is a retard like me."

>> No.15354894

I remember thinking like you when I was in high school and had to do Shakespeare. You really need to change your attitude and approach literature with a spirit of humility and patience. Just because you don't understand something does not mean it is bad. More often than not it is a reflection on you, not the piece of literature.

Buy an annotated version. Or read a modern translation along with the original so that if you don't understand something you can use the translation for reference. Read up on Greek mythology, Christianity, philosophy, and history to help you understand his references.

Shakespeare is an amazing poet. His works are incredible. If you continue on in this spirit of arrogance you will miss out on the beauty and wisdom the Bard has to offer.

>> No.15355443

>>15353793
>Cervantes
muh wacky knight adventures!

>> No.15355448

>>15353770
And yet the retards gobble it up

>> No.15355449

>>15355443
Yes.

>> No.15355479

What posses man to post threads like these? What do they gain other than miniscule amusment at having potentially fooled some retard? I feel compelled, If I ever achieve any success as an author, to write a portrait of a shitposter

>> No.15355508

>>15353453
based retard

>> No.15355521
File: 234 KB, 530x591, Bunny De La Cruz (8).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15355479
You're going to wait until you achieve success as an author to write something you feel compelled to write?

>> No.15355535

>>15355521
It's a concept that deserves a more practiced hand, I think. A novice such as myself would botch it

>> No.15356089

>>15355443
>muh wacky knight adventures!
Don't you ever talk to me and my Cervantes again.

>> No.15356090

>pretentious fags shitting up the thread

>> No.15356102

>>15355443
You clearly read a shitty synopsis of the novel.

>> No.15356157

>>15354362
based

>> No.15356359

>>15354362
>Because he wrote about more topics than any other writer, created more characters and more life views
Which he stole from Europe, mostly Italy
>using a language
Ok, fair, he had a big vocabulary, it seems to be mostly it.
>Basically you got the greatest of all poetic minds making his language serve muscle to flesh out several different worlds, and more different people than in any other corpus. Only Checkhov comes to my mind on variety of characters, but he lacks the divine poetic language.
No factual substance
>If one only reads Hamlet, Romeu and Juliet and Macbeth, for example, one still has a very limited knowledge of the magnitude of Shakespeare’s achievement. If one read the major works in all the genres: Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, Henry IV, A Midsummer Night Dream, Twelfth Night and The Tempest, one still doesn’t get even half of the whole picture. If one really manages to read all the works the ocean of metaphors and similes, of characters and views of life is simply astounding.
>You have to read author's entire bibliography to even dare evaluate any of his works
Imagine if that was said about any other writer
Shakespeare and preceding authors were written much later by Anglos after they realised that all that time they were preoccupied with surviving on their island by trying to destabilise Europe and they don't have any kind of culture which a hegemon is supposed to have.