[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 40 KB, 263x400, declineofthewest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15340524 No.15340524 [Reply] [Original]

Since Vico/Hegel, it seems like it has become a tradition for philosophers to make their magnum opus a "metaphysics of history" projects.

Which ones have you read that were interesting?

>Spengler's Decline of The West
Everyone knows this one, a somewhat biological-mystic narrative that asserts history is a series of civilizational cycles and human manifest religion due to geographical locations which trickles down to their math/architecture/art/music

>Evola's Revolt against the modern world
Meme book but a neo-pagan estoteric/gnostic narrative of history founded on Hyperborrean myths and cosmic hindu cycles

>Vico's New Science
The first "metaphysics of history" project ever written, a Christian-Catholic narrative of God's "divine hand" and spiritual civilizational cycles

Which ones have you read? I'd like to get to Hegel and Chesteron's history projects

>> No.15340651

>Since Vico/Hegel, it seems like it has become a tradition for philosophers to make their magnum opus a "metaphysics of history" projects.
it's the opposite, actually

>> No.15340668

>>15340651
+1. Much of it has been rejecting any grand historical narratives (post-Marx). Foucault, Weber, etc.

>> No.15340684

>>15340651
>>15340668
Evola, Guenon, Chesteron, Russell, Chesterton all did the history projects

Did anyone before Hegel/Vico do it?

>> No.15340694

>>15340684
Ibn Khaldun perhaps?

>> No.15340732

>>15340684
mostly theologicians, if you are reffering to philosophies of history.
i think there is a differences or at least nuances in philosophizing about the development of history, arguing for grand historical narratives and/or believing in the progress/decay of the human march in earth. That i think you are putting all these together in the idea of "metaphysics of history", am i right here?

>> No.15340765

Anyone ever read Toynbee’s A Study of History? I’ve been thinking of reading the abridged version.

>> No.15340812

>>15340732
>That i think you are putting all these together in the idea of "metaphysics of history", am i right here?

yeah I think so