[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 59 KB, 240x180, wolfe_gene195.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1533153 No.1533153 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone on /lit/ into Gene Wolfe?

I started reading Book of the New Sun recently, think it's quite good. Pretty refreshing for a fantasy novel.

>> No.1533159
File: 37 KB, 240x180, genewolf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1533175

>>1533159
Never change, /lit/. Never change.

>> No.1533304

Wolfe kicks ass.

Recently read The Best of Gene Wolfe - some really good short stories in there. If you like New Sun (particularly Wolfe's trickiness within it) you should definitely read the short stories in that. It's not just the trickiness that I love, either - some of his stories (particularly "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories" and the end of "Forlesen") really hit home emotionally for me. I also applaud his variety - though admittedly many of his protagonists are unreliable narrators, the actual writing can be quite different from story to story (compare Severian's incredibly verbose narration in New Sun to Latro's or even compare the three novellas that make up The Fifth Head of Cerberus).

Anyways, I'm slowly working through his stuff, only read New Sun/first two Latro books/Best of Gene Wolfe/The Fifth Head of Cerberus so far, but that's been enough to convince me that I must read everything the man's ever published. No other author makes me go hunting online for discussion of his works, so I figure that must mean something.

For my fellow Wolfe fans - what should I read next? Long and then Short Sun, Peace or The Sorcerer's House?

>> No.1533644

>>1533153
I enjoyed it.

>> No.1533682

I read the New Sun series and just recently finished the first two Latro books myself. I love his writing, although I really want to find a place where I can get a better handle on what's going on in certain scenes. And the end of the second Latro book, Soldier of Arete(?), made me confused, sad, and then a little angry at Wolfe and all the characters. Maybe I missed something.

I've been reading some of the Best of... short stories on my Kindle, and I've been impressed. If you aren't looking for another huge read go with those, otherwise try the Latro books.

I bought The Knight, but I haven't cracked it yet. Is it any good?

>> No.1533707

>>1533304
Do you have a link to the short stories?

>> No.1533726

Absolutely love Gene Wolfe, simply an incredible writer, one of the best working in sf&f today. BotNS and Fifth Head of Cerberus are both outstanding, outstanding works. Can't say enough good things about Gene Wolfe.

Curious if the anon who launched a lengthy critique of Wolfe's work a couple weeks ago is still around? Would be curious hearing his opinions/response to that debate.