[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 232 KB, 907x1360, D01CC299-5939-494B-859E-3E5A6050B303.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15296085 No.15296085 [Reply] [Original]

William H Gass apparently took 26 years to write The Tunnel, but my god what a shit book it is, despite all that time invested. It's clear when Gass was writing it that most sentences were created almost purely for the way they phonetically sounded, the meter and alliteration. Full of shit like
>Time was a fellow traveler
It's meaningless. He used his brainpower to lay out phonetically pleasing phrases with no brainpower left to put any discernible fucking meaning into what he writes, because not even he knows. This is the mark of amatuerish writing, and The Tunnel is riddled with it. Read the "worst novel ever," Irene Iddesleigh, and you will be shocked how similar the style is in many instances. Sure, The Tunnel is full of powerful and masterful moments, but only when Gass has a clear mind to go beyond phonetics and actually develop meaning and a narrative. You quite literally cannot refute this post.

>> No.15296091

braaaaaaaaaap!

>> No.15296098

>>15296085
Don't care, gonna go read Gass rn

>> No.15296107

>>15296098
Sneed seeds and sucks. Jews cum cum dead Jews cum small penis. Guilt guilt cum small penis

>> No.15296147

>>15296085
Ja, he is the Teutonic Vonnegut, so geht es

>> No.15296197

lmao brainlet cope

>> No.15296272

>>15296098
Based. Let's read Gass together. I'm a female girl (woman) btw.

>> No.15296279

>>15296272
I don't want to be THAT guy, but many of us anons are now wondering, do you have nice feet?

>> No.15296280

>>15296272
Whore.

>> No.15296287

>>15296272
Tits
or
GTFO

>> No.15296292

>>15296279
They're ok. I sometimes wish I had what convention would call "ugly" feet because I think they're more expressive and visually interesting.

>> No.15296305

>>15296292
Dilate.

>> No.15296320

>>15296292
Well, I don't want to intrude but there's an antiquarian etiquette around here that obliges women to show their feet so as to ascertain a measure of identity verification.

>> No.15296330

>>15296085
I don't care. Gass was pretty upfront about aesthetics being primary in his writing. He crafted some of the most beautiful sentences and passages I've ever read and that's enough for me.

>> No.15296332

>>15296272
Me too haha, I love having an actual vagina it’s so awesome haha

>> No.15296373

>>15296320
As a woman and a lover of Gass, I regard these little imageboard checkpoints as both adorable and necessary.

>> No.15296379

>>15296373
Whore.

>> No.15296382

>>15296330
>beautiful passages
Sometimes. There's a few instances where I get the strong stench of him writing on "automatic," writing poetically beautiful but meaningless phrases without thinking at all about their meaning, at a rapid pace. I've done this and it's turned out in a similar direction, so I can't help but feel like he wrote the shittier passages on this sort of unconscious autopilot mode. This mode turns out phonetically pleasing phrasing, but like I said, it is utterly devoid of meaning.

>> No.15296419

>>15296085
Gass is literary fuccboi repellant, I love it. Rn, /lit/ boys are fussing in some gay philosophy threads, so us Gass Girls are fortunate to have some markedly better literary convo briefly thirst free ITT

>> No.15296439

>>15296419
>trannies ITT like Gass
Ok, now I KNOW he's a shit writer

>> No.15296495

>>15296373
If you don't impress upon Anons these rituals, it all falls apart. Tits, feet and encryption will be cornerstones of communication networks in the next couple decades

>> No.15296505

>>15296085
What do Gass and Pynchon think of one another?

>> No.15296513

>>15296505
They Fucked and Sucked as in Sneed and Feed, if you catch my drift.

>> No.15296553

>>15296373
shes obviously a guy larping guys

>> No.15296612

I mean, I'm not even the biggest Gass fan, but the amount of reductivist smarm in this thread is bewildering. Novels are not tanks to be filled with "meaning" in whatever definition you care to seek it as, OP. I haven't read "The Tunnel" in a long time, but if you can't see how the crunching, disgusting sounds of the sentences, coupled with their almost rarefied moments of beauty, correlates to the professor's political leanings taken to an extreme in a monologue, then that might be more on you as the reader than Gass as the experimenter. Also, you couldn't have picked a worse sentence as an example:

>The term fellow traveller (also fellow traveler) identifies a person who is intellectually sympathetic to the ideology of a political organization, and who co-operates in the organization's politics, without being a formal member of that organization.

>In U.S. politics, during the 1940s and the 1950s, the term fellow traveler was a pejorative term for a person who was philosophically sympathetic to Communism, yet was not a formal, "card-carrying member" of the Communist Party USA. In political discourse, the term fellow traveler was applied to intellectuals, academics, and politicians who lent their names and prestige to Communist front organizations.

And this is supposedly from a writer lacking in any "discernible fucking meaning." Read more, OP.

>> No.15296634

>>15296495
Preach, Sister! These newbies gonna know it cuz you told it to em plain and stark as a spoonful of mayo splat against a grave stone

>> No.15296679

>>15296612
bad example, I concede. Defend this abomination, though:

>the sun has scissored its shadows out of the earth and walls and sold the silhouettes

This is annoying. If you think it's beautiful, I wish I could think like you but I don't. Every page has annoying as shit writing like this. Go ahead and make a case for how "ohh uhh akshully the sun is a metaphor for Nazism and and and the shadows are Jews u just like don't get it bro"

>> No.15296694

>>15296679
It's poetry, you pussy eater

>> No.15296724

>>15296694
Frolicking faggots phonetically fellate fairies from Faraway farmlands

Alliteration is not difficult. If you think alliteration makes you a good writer, I legitimately resent you.

>> No.15296777

>>15296724
Don't care, haha!

>> No.15296786

>>15296679
Not the one who just responded to you, but he's onto something. You're fundamentally reading the book in a way that suits your past reading rather than grappling with what Gass is doing through this speaker in his own way. There's a difference between critical judgement versus not meeting a book on its own terms (as noted by the first example you took to have no meaning).

Look, I don't have the text in front of me now, so I can't comment on that sentence in relation to the passage, the chapter, or the whole book, but what I can say is that it has a logic built-in through its sibilant verve, made to imitate the cutting "Sshush" sounds that scissors make when they cut paper. You don't seem too keen on close readings, so I won't go on, but there's more to that sentence than meets the eye (literally, you have to sound out what's happening).

One does not read Beckett and complain that he repeats his scenes or sentences over and over unless that person wants to sound like an idiot. Same can be said for what Gass is doing here.

>> No.15296802

>>15296091
We need to discuss this.

>> No.15296812

What's the best way to get started with William Gass? I got filtered a while ago and I don't how to proceed.

Here's a short blog.
The first time I heard his name was in /lit/, and this book was mentioned in exit core and depressing lit threads. I formed an idea of this book as one very dark and depressing for two reasons. One, there's another "The Tunnel" by Sabato which is pretty dark. Secondly, symbolically speaking tunnels can mean two things, depending on whether the exit is near or not. But I was a poorfag and there wasn't an ebook available so I had to wait. Everyone here praised it and I couldn't wait for our Amazon overlords to publish a digital version so that friendly pirates could upload it to the internet.
My anticipation grew. I decided to read On Blue which was the only one of his books available in ebook format at the time, and man, it was a book about the color blue. Alright. What the fuck was I reading. I sensed Gass might not be the kind of writer I particularly enjoyed.
Then 3 or 4 years ago, an epub appeared on the Internet and... it started with some diagrams? 10 pages in and there were a bunch of words weirdly arranged on the page and stuff that were not what I expected. And some word-plays flew completely above my head. I put it down and haven't read it again.

>> No.15296847
File: 177 KB, 800x656, IMG_20190618_141053-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15296802

>> No.15296931

>>15296786
Beckett creates meaning beyond "muh assonance."
>dude it sounds like a scissor woah so deep
This isn't literature. This is masturbation. Like I said I do not deny that there are masterful parts of the tunnel. But there's an issue when fans of Gass vehemently deny what is plainly obvious: The Tunnel is, more often than not, pretentious and meandering. I am not kidding, read Irene Iddesleigh. It's the same type of writing. Gass is much better, obviously. But if you read Irene Iddesleigh then maybe you would see how I could think your favowite wittle writew is too affected to produce any genuine emotion in me. Omensetter's Luck is an incredibly good book, The Pedersen Kid is an incredibly good story, The Tunnel is not a good novel.

>> No.15296967

>>15296812
The Pedersen Kid

>> No.15297048

>>15296931
Why don't you share the entire paragraph so we know what it's actually referencing

>> No.15297085
File: 2.05 MB, 3264x2448, ABF7C23F-B9CE-4E1F-A6FE-824DE21D3BD1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15297048
The entire book is nothing but allusion to something greater.

>> No.15297099

>>15296967
Thanks.
what about Omensetter's Luck? It's half as long as the Tunnel

>> No.15297149

>>15296931
First of all, I'm not going to read that book, lol. I don't know why you would think it isn't literature, but I'd like to see your list of the non-literary writers of literature. So far, all I can gather is that novels have to be "meaningful" or "produce any genuine emotion." Narrow, unclear ways of reading. By the way, I downloaded The Tunnel. You do a disservice when clipping a random sentence from a passage:

"Outside the sky is a hard blue as though glazed. It won’t let a cloud cross, a bird in. Leaves are landing with the sound of sand. The sun has scissored its shadows out of the earth and walls and sold the silhouettes: side-nose view of someone with a flowing tie, steel beam, trouser pocket, twot made of twigs. The air would snap like a soda cracker if there were some soup on the spoon in my mouth. It is a day of definition, of clean and crisp distinctions like the dance of a fine mind. It is a day to move through without guilt or desire. And I have been down in the dirt commencing my dig."

This is character-building and scene-setting, by way of Joyce, as filtered through our narrator. That's one issue you seem to not comprehend: that you ascribe this song-songy prose, as if it were the same voice the entire way through to Gass rather than our narrator. If you follow along in your book, you'll note that the shadows come back as our narrator follows-up this passage with his thoughts on the tunnel.

Rigorous? Yes. Pretentious? That's a cliche, but you know what, I'm willing to give it to Gass. We should strive to have our authors excel above us.

>> No.15297160

>>15297149
>Gass is like Joyce
No.

>> No.15297188

>>15297149
Also, if novels are not supposed to have
a. meaning
b. emotion

What the fuck is the point? I'm sure your favorite book is an autistic meaningless postmodern romp, like 499 pages of the period: ........... Genuinely tell me what the purpose of a novel is if not to have meaning or emotion. Go ahead. Name one good novel without meaning or emotion. I'll wait.

>> No.15297335

>>15297160
That passage is pure Joyce, from the use of the 19th century silhouette cut-out as a way of framing the scene beginning with "flowing tie."

>>15297188
The point is that you're approaching a novel with a narrow band of what it's supposed to do, as if it was supposed to have priorities. What, exactly, are the meanings that are supposed to be gleaned from a novel and why does it have to purport to those? Emotions are negotiable from reader-to-reader. The attitude that novels are *supposed* to have
a. meaning
and
b. emotion
while not being "pretentious" is what fuels the book-club driven, flimsily written, mainstream publishing world. You don't pump a novel full of these things; they incur with their own logic and shift around depending on who's reading. That's what gets me about this argument--you have this preconceived notion about what texts should be, as if Gass should have been more upfront. What's especially frustrating is that I have pointed out that there's more beyond the phonetic surface (which seems unfair even to call it a surface), but that doesn't seem to matter.

Nabokov plays with what you think of novels as being--his works are mimicries of meaning and emotion, implicating the reader in whatever game he's playing. As for me, I like Proust, Kakfa, Fleur Jaeggy, Thomas Bernhard, and etc. The novel as a form for realism (which, ultimately, is what you seem to want) died in the 19th century with Flaubert. Joyce and Beckett took it elsewhere even further. That's the tradition Gass is working in. He's covering up a void by which novel-writing aint what it used to be.

>> No.15297446

>>15297335
Retard, The Tunnel annoys me as a book. You cannot convince me that what Gass writes isn't irritating. I like every single author you mentioned in your post, even Gass, I do not like the Tunnel, it irritates me. I explained why it irritates me. Tell me why you hate the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard and I'll tell you why you're objectively wrong. Fucking faggot, I don't need to give reasons. You're not going to change my mind.
>oh well actually you don't think he's annoying because he's talking about sperm and the text is in the shape of a sperm cell

I don't fucking care. It's a thing called judgement, I suggest you try it sometime. Name me a book you don't like and I'll tell you why your opinion is wrong because critic said trite phrase here and oh that really connected with me and I don't really understand the book either but I'll pretend like I do so I can "defend" it. You can just say you like it anon. You don't need a reason to defend it, like I don't need a reason to attack. It irritates me, and so do you. Not everything is a college literature class. Get a fucking brain, learn to judge and discriminate.

>> No.15297572

>>15296505
This is what Gass had to say about Pynchon in an interview:
>I have tried to read Pynchon with no success so far, but then I can’t read Whitman—I try. So we just have blank spots. We can’t like everything, and I don’t see any rule for it. Why should you love every woman that walks by?

I don’t know if Pynchon ever commented on Gass, but he doesn’t comment on a lot of things. It's hard to locate Gassian influence in the Pynchon novels I’ve read, but maybe there's something there in Vineland or Against the Day

>> No.15297583

>>15296724
Sometimes alliteration is difficult to avoid. In my own writing, I actually try to confound a lot of my alliterations because I know it would be annoying if used too much. I guess it kind of makes sense though, the oldest English poetry was alliterative, so there must something natural about it

>> No.15297704

TO ALL WHO WANT A READING RECOMMENDATION:

READ A SHORT STORY BY GASS CALLED “MRS MEAN”

IT IS EXQUISITE. IT WILL BRING FORTH LOFTY GLITTERING ARCS OF SPERM FROM YOUR PEEHOLE AND MAYBE EVEN YOUR ANUS WILL GAPE ENOUGH TO STICK AN APPLE INSIDE.

JOYOUS READINGS TO YOU ALL.

MERRY JIZZMAS.

>> No.15298101

>>15297704
Yeah, it's pretty neat. All his stories in the NYRB collection are great. I especially remember Icicles and The Pedersen Kid.

>> No.15298550

>>15297446
lol why did you even post here if you're just gonna sit there and cry?

>> No.15298571

>>15296085
The Tunnel is great dude, LOL.
U suck. LOL

>> No.15298668

>>15297446
You're right. No one's going to convince you that The Tunnel isn't irritating to you. But why bother making this thread then? It's a popular book, and anons here like it, so it's not irritating for everyone. As for the meaning/emotion gathered from the novel there's the eagerness of simple people to adopt hateful ideologies, "life in a chair," how men really relate to and think about women, upbringing having a profound impact on adulthood, anger, fear, lust, wanting to hide one's true feelings, etc.

>> No.15298902

Academics can't write fiction. Find me a great writer who had a phd, or even a master's.

On top of it, Gass has nothing to say and spent far too long dabbling in his novel for it to have any spirit. Gass' mind is essentially that of a liberal academic.

>>15296330
It's cringe MFA-tier prose.

>>15296419
All the proof one needs that Gass is a hack who attracts empty minds.

>>15296505
Pynchon doesn't rate a coward like Gass who has nothing to say and who looks down on anyone that isn't a Henry James worshipping nu-male graduate student.

>>15296612
Cope for the fact that Gass has nothing to say.
> "B-But you don't need have something to say for over-urbanized white people to enjoy your prose!"
I'll agree with that. But if you think people should turn to literature because they want to daydream like a sissy all day instead of thinking that the author has something worthwhile to say, you should find a new hobby. Go consoom netflix or some video games.

>> No.15298948

>>15296085
Massive plotfag detected.

>> No.15298954

I'd like to read this, but even second hand copies are far too expensive.

>> No.15298957

>>15298668
>As for the meaning/emotion gathered from the novel there's the eagerness of simple people to adopt hateful ideologies, "life in a chair," how men really relate to and think about women, upbringing having a profound impact on adulthood, anger, fear, lust, wanting to hide one's true feelings, etc.

What a bunch of trite bourgeois bullshit: Dude, FUCK TRUMP! And you should meditate on my little family drama!

Hard pass.

>> No.15298979
File: 38 KB, 512x512, 66hkhoosossdccccccc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>google it
>its a novel #69879380258 about muh holohaux guilt trip

>> No.15299035

>>15298957
Based magapede implying Trump's a nazi

>> No.15299053

>>15298902
Not a single argument

>> No.15299061

>>15298979
No it's not

>> No.15299840

>>15298954
It's like 13 dollars on amazon

>> No.15299863

What's with all the brainlet cope on this board lately?

>> No.15299872

>>15299840
>Get the audio CDs where Dr. Gass himself reads the book. It's kino

>> No.15299963

>>15298902
You sound to me like some aging "punk rock" type of guy, who fancies himself an intellectual, but not "that sort" of intellectual.
Honestly, I feel your blind rage over your perceived class authenticity is fueling your dislike of Gass' writing style. He has a lot to say, really, and if you can't understand it, then it just shows you're reading for the wrong reasons.
Sort your inferiority complex out, man.

>> No.15300001

>>15298957
> trite bourgeois bullshit

Class envy detected. Sorry your parents failed you, anon. There's still time to go to University, network, and try to live that life you always wanted.

>> No.15300014

>>15299872
What? The paperback is 13 dollars.
>>15299963
It's fashionable today to hate academics and be anti-intellectual. You see it with all the young contrarians with no discernible talent on this board that take retards like kaczynski seriously.

>> No.15300030

I actually started reading The Tunnel in Jan but then the pandemic hit and I didnt really want to keep reading a 650 page book about the holocaust, disappointment and small penises. Plus a WhatsApp book group started which has sucked me in.

I'm at the 70% point and will resume soon-ish.

But so far my favourite section was "We Have Not Lived The Right Life". Just amazing writing. Enjoyed some sections more than others, of course.

>> No.15300049

>>15300014
>young contrarian projects out his inferiority complex by attacking a well-established and praised entity in an angry, extended outburst

Pretty much the biggest indicator I'm dealing with a pseud/narcissistic/mentally unbalanced individual.

>> No.15300105

>>15296812
Heart of the Heart of the Country -> Omensetter's Luck -> The Tunnel

>> No.15300123

>>15300001
I have done all of that. There's no need to waste your life on the navelgazing drama of bored, lifeless urban boomers.

This was all done first and better by Flaubert.

>>15299963
No, he has nothing to say. He's a token empty academic who has long forgotten any insight and creativity he might have had. His insights are on the level of a second-rate journalist.

>>15300049
No one can actually say anything interesting about Gass. It's always, "Well, he points out how easily people he knows nothing about can succumb to fascism. He talks about middle America, and, like, Freud and shieet."

A complete and utter hack. Academics never make good novelists.

>> No.15300145

>>15300123
You're really the one with nothing to say. No arguments are made here. I doubt you've even read the whole damn book. You probably got through the first 50 or so pages.
Why go on /lit/ and lie to people? Was it your dad? Did he leave you with the impression that to earn respect you have to be unpleasant and combative? Some other guy who's smarter and more talented than you likes Gass?

>> No.15300219

>>15296724
What? So in that sentence all you see is the alliteration? When you read words do you completely ignore their symbolic value? Do you know you can conjure in the mind of the reader images out of words, that carry meaning?

>> No.15300241

>>15300123
Let me guess, you're a cook. Only cooks carry this level of bitterness.

>> No.15300271

>>15296292
based grimes

>> No.15300306

>tfw midwit hlyic can't fathom that this book is a Kabbalistic schematic and journey through the Qlipoth and Sefirot

Embarrassing.

>> No.15300324

>>15300145
>Why go on /lit/ and lie to people? Was it your dad? Did he leave you with the impression that to earn respect you have to be unpleasant and combative? Some other guy who's smarter and more talented than you likes Gass?

Gassian mindset at work here. Petty bourgeois psychologism. The kind of crap you read in cheap women's gossip magazines. Gass looks at culture and reduces to "nazis bad because small penis" and his fangirls swallow it up.

>>15300241
Not even close. More inane Gassian psychologism.

>> No.15300325

>>15296679
STEMshitters really need to stop reading literary fiction

>> No.15300338

>>15300325
Wrong. lit numales need to stop consooming every new meme novel and instead read the classics and then reread them.

>> No.15300343

>>15300324
Literally Seethe: The Post

Confirmed you don't read shit but wikipedia articles. Seethe harder, midwit. Enjoy aging into an old, bitter cook, you receding hairline faggot.

>> No.15300348

>>15300338
>every new meme novel
>been out for 25 years
>been relevant on /lit/ the past 10 odd years

>> No.15300356

>>15300219
If I'm listening to a song I don't want random airhorns distracting me. Imagine if you read a book and every other word was a completely different font. It's distracting and irritating. Don't know how else I can make you understand how much it annoys me.

>> No.15300366

>>15300356
Sounds like you have legitimate autism.You also sound like a huge, blabbering faggot.

>> No.15300374

>>15300343
Dilate.

>>15300348
It's /lit/ memecore. Not rated outside of /lit/ and MFA circles.

>> No.15300376

>>15300338
i don't know the context of the quote, but i'm assuming you understand what it _means_ right?

>> No.15300385

>>15300325
Not STEM, I just can't abide an author that sniffs his own ass so much. My problems are with his writing, it's distracting and overwrought. Sometimes masterful prose, sometimes unbearably bad, undergrad-tier with all his alliteration. Not everyone who disagrees with you is an I Fucking Love Science redditor

>> No.15300386

>>15300374
it sure is

>> No.15300395

>>15300374
You're goddamn right. WE don't like uneducated midwits stinking up our books.
Back to slaving in a kitchen, cuckboy.

>> No.15300400

>>15300366
I wouldn't go around calling people faggots if I liked alliteration and poetry, anon. Do you often enjoy reading books about small penises?

>> No.15300424

>>15300385
my point wasn't that you were a redditor, or even that you disliked his writing, my points was your unbearable necessity for 'meaining' in prose, and on-the-nose 'meaning' as well, prose-poetry is not a math problem.

>> No.15300427

>>15300400
If you can't understand the foreskin blood scene, then you don't understand the orchids ever-evolving from husks that drip pure sheol-resin that rise from the Qlipoth, translated from pure Earth-Trauma to Pious Tongues and often hearkened in darkened rooms near alters...

Blood rituals, my guy. That's what I think about often.

>> No.15300430

Gass is cool in a lot of ways, but that he spent 27 years or whatever the fuck writing such a twisted piece of garbage like the Tunnel is pathetic and sad and a good representation of how boomer-era lit failed and arguably caused more harm than good.

>> No.15300434

>>15300430
It's nowhere near as twisted as the Talmud.

>> No.15300453

>>15300424
I never said meaning has to be explicit. I only said that I get the feeling that Gass wrote many sentences with the priority first of making them rhythmic, rather than having them deliver any effect whatsoever to the larger narrative. As a result, the book is full of poor, meandering writing.

>> No.15300465

>>15300453
and
>the sun has scissored its shadows out of the earth and walls and sold the silhouettes
is your example of this?

>> No.15300471

>>15300453
You haven't read the book. Stop pretending like you did, loser.

>> No.15300493

>>15300430
How did a book barely anyone read do damage? As opposed overt sexualization of everyone?
How did a book no one really read give rise to U.S. reaction and moral panic about the "alt-right?"

Maybe he was using his wealth of knowledge to make a diagnosis about the Facism of The Heart, how the process of capital will alienate individuals so much that it is bound to happen again.

>> No.15300505

>>15300471
Lots of people have read the book and didn't like it. It received a lot of bad reviews that echo the sentiments posted in this thread. Pointless, overwritten, pretentious, fails to live up to the importance of the themes he presents etc...

>> No.15300524

>>15300493
>how the process of capital will alienate individuals so much

Except Gass is adamant that you shouldn't care about politics full stop.

>> No.15300532

>>15300324
Ah so a literal nazi that is seething because Gass exposed that you have a small penis.

>> No.15300544

>>15300524
Economics doesn't equal politics.

>> No.15300551

>>15300505
Yet no one ever discuses any particular scenes or sections of the book. It's all the same regurgitated crap you can read on the Wikipedia page.

>> No.15300572

>>15300532
Retard. It's a stupid, reductive mindset that does nothing to seriously engage with the ideology of fascism and why it arose, and, as such, is powerless to do anything to prevent it from rising again.

>>15300544
But it does.

>> No.15300576

>>15296812
The tunnel's begging is an intentional pleb-filter, just keep on reading and you'll get into it

>> No.15300585

>>15300572
It does and it doesn't. The economic system informs the general mood of the people, and pushed too far it becomes faulty, and the mood changes.

>> No.15300609

>>15300572
>nothing to seriously engage with the ideology of fascism

Are you talking about the book? If you are, then by god, you are retarded, and it's confirmed you haven't read the entire thing.
It's basically Mein Kempf written from the perspective of a midwest American. How does that not "seriously engage" in the ideology of fascism?
You really are hopeless.

>> No.15300638

>>15300609
Because Mein Kampf is irrelevant to the rise of fascism, and associating fascism with sexual perversion has been done to death and isn't revealing at all. No serious historian of WWII takes on this superficial psychological approach.

>> No.15300683

>>15300638
Who are these serious historians? I think you're talking completely out of your ass yet again. I mean, it's obvious you don't read.