[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 252x394, The_Denial_of_Death,_first_edition.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15254818 No.15254818 [Reply] [Original]

How do you decide when to stop reading something? I like to think I give the things I read a fair chance. I also don't like to waste time on things I really don't enjoy. What I'm finding is that my intellectual vanity usually wins out and I wind up spending a lot of time reading things I hate and they don't pay off. Sometimes they do, though.
Pic related is my current issue. I like the main thesis, and I'm interested in it as a reflection of its time and for its cultural impact, but I find it to be so poorly argued and so upsetting in its pseudo-scientism that I'm having trouble taking anything away from it.
I don't really want to discuss the book though. I'm just interested in other people's strategies for deciding when you've gotten all you're likely to get out of something you don't like.