[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 231 KB, 1080x1440, 396502_v9_ba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15216552 No.15216552 [Reply] [Original]

ASOIAF is the result of a lazy man of average intelligence crafting a LOTR/WOT Fanfiction over the course of two and a half decades. His prose lacks flow and eloquence, and his imagination is that of a perverted teen -- an imagination limited like his vocabulary. He critiques a mythologist like Tolkien for not being realistic about his politics, yet I have not read a single sentence of Martin that makes me believe the man has an education on economy, politics, and ecology better than your average Fox-news watching baby boomer; one who in school had never gotten above an 80% on anything that wasn't language arts. And as the wildlings prove he doesn't understand the evolution as language as well (and if Tolkien were alive, he might have the couth to not critique Marin on that). On a personal note, he is an old creep pretending to be a feminist liberal while writing about the sweat between the breasts of 13 year old Daenerys. Goddamn HBO and the two brainlet showrunners for introducing him to the public and convincing the masses that he is "The new Tolkien". All I can say is I am thankful people reacting to Bran becoming king with disdain.
Oh, and he's fat too.

>> No.15216565

>He critiques a mythologist like Tolkien for not being realistic about his politics
Cringe. His "critique" is merely that Tolkien spends little time addressing such subjects. He is an enormous admirer of Tolkien.

>> No.15216619

>>15216552
Allow me to continue. Martin's appeal is his ability to avoid the concept of "good vs evil", not because he is well read in Eastern philosophy, but because he is a modern man in a modern world -- a nihilist. When his characters die, they see nothing, because Martin is an atheist. He wants to write realism but he has no idea what that is because his observations about life is generic -- he is a man raised on science fiction and fantasy, and has probably never read a non-fiction book in his life. Notice how in interviews he constantly repeats himself like a politician rehashing soundbites, because Martin believes in his mind that saying "I don't believe people are wholly good or wholly evil" and "Hitler loved dogs" is profound. Yet, morality is measured by deeds: Hitler may have been a loving husband, a dog lover, and good to his men, but......see, I believe Martin thinks that if people do not act like Bond Villains ("you have failed me for the last time!"*shoots*) then they must not be evil. But evil people can be good fathers, leaders, and husbands. Of course people do not fall into one category that is set for life, but we are met with decisions and have motivations for goals, and these determine what type of person we are. Yet, despite his beliefs, he writes the sociopath Joffrey and Psychopathic Gregor with no hint of hidden depths, leaving the fandom to juggle ideals ("The mountain has headaches! He must have a tumor!"). Tell me, what evil has Eddard Stark ever done to innocent people?

>> No.15216636

>>15216565
>Cringe.
This is still a thing? Brilliant and original my friend.
>Tolkien spends little time addressing such subjects.
Another flaw of Martin. He assumes a fantasy writer whose goal was to create a myth based on Arthurian and Norse legends would care about such a thing only because he does. It is not a weakness to have a goal and follow it.

>> No.15216738

Worst of all, George RR Martin does not care enough about his world to finish it. It is foolish to believe he is having such difficulty that he has been working on AWOW for 9+ years and has yet to finish it yet. This is not Finnegan's Wake. This is a fiction on a seventh grade reading level. He doesn't have the drive because he has reached fame and fortune -- he has no motivation to finish. WOT -- a long and much more difficult work -- had nine books published in ten years. Wolfe had The Book of the New Sun (four books) finished in three years.
I do believe that Martin has written himself into many corners that he did not vision himself steering into. If only he had outlined like most authors of fantasy series do.

>> No.15216759

>>15216636
>He assumes a fantasy writer whose goal was to create a myth based on Arthurian and Norse legends would care about such a thing only because he does.
Again, his "critique" -- placed in scare quotes because it isn't much of one -- is much milder. In fact, in the one particular part of the one particular interview you are referring to, all Martin says is that it was something he personally would have liked to see more, not that Tolkien was somehow objectively flawed in his approach.

>> No.15216760

>>15216738
>I do believe that Martin has written himself into many corners that he did not vision himself steering into. If only he had outlined like most authors of fantasy series do.
> It is foolish to believe he is having such difficulty that he has been working on AWOW for 9+ years and has yet to finish it yet.
Allow me to explain what seems to be contradictory. What I meant to say was Martin had written himself into many corners where over the years he has look at the pages and shrugged. He has not been working on the new book, or he recently started within the past two years. In nine years, a passionate author can accomplish great things. Stephen King (IMO a hack) is on Martin's writing level and has a ridiculous output.

>> No.15216772

>>15216738
>Worst of all, George RR Martin does not care enough about his world to finish it.
I can sympathize with his unwillingness to finish it. Two jews hijacked the story when he was halfway done and turned it into the steaming pile of shit that will be remembered regardless of whatever he writes in his book.

>> No.15216791

>>15216760
>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?
Even if you were correct (you aren't) why are you focusing on this one statement instead of addressing the main point? Obviously Martin loves Tolkien as he took so much from him, but whether or not he was being critical or playful, the thought it out of place. And he knows this:
>Well, Tolkien was very interested in myth. He said he was creating The Lord of the Rings as a myth for Britain, so in the context of a mythological setup, I don’t think it really would have been appropriate for him to write a book about Aragorn’s reign and his challenges. But I am very different, and I’m not Tolkien. I’m writing many years later and I come from a different place.
If the quote had been phrased "I would have liked to see..." then there would be no problem. But his little nibbish "I do quibble with" shows me he is trying to paint himself as more of an intellectual than he is -- which is not at all.

>> No.15216795

>>15216791
Damn.
>>15216791 was meant for >>15216759

>> No.15216870

>>15216552
Is language arts what they call English class now OP?

This post has strong teenager energy which makes me think you would know.

>> No.15216950

>>15216738
>he is a modern man in a modern world -- a nihilist.
>Worst of all, George RR Martin does not care enough about his world to finish it.
When you are so staunchly and thoroughly committed to nihilism that you don't finish writing your fantasy book series that takes place in a world where characters are killed for no reason, because completing the series would be meaningless anyway.

>> No.15217020

>>15216619
You sound really salty that your idol Tolkein couldn't tell a story more complex than Beowulf, and Martin managed to actually include nuance and moral ambiguity into his writing.

The fucked up thing is I don't even like Martin, but I don't care for Tolkein either. I will admit that he was a remarkable academic and linguist, but so is Noam Chomsky and I wouldn't read his fiction if he wrote any either.

>> No.15217051

>>15216552
>'gardening method'
Procedurally generated commercial writing has limits -- criticisms of jazz as a genre apply here

>> No.15217496

>>15217020
>You sound really salty that your idol Tolkein
I mentioned Tolkien a few times because Martin is most compared to him. Tolkien is not my idol, but he is better than this hack. I do not understand the comparison. It is like calling Peter F. Hamilton the modern EE Doc Smith (although in that case the younger is better).
Martin has no flow. His dialogue is like what one would imagine Shakespeare sounds like while only being vaguely familiar, and with having only a handful of vocabulary words (mayhaps you jape)
He does not even understand how ages of his characters should affect their mentalities. "I'm writing a teenage, he must be immature and horny!" Imagine him trying to write the Pevensie siblings.

>> No.15217506
File: 1.58 MB, 250x220, 1576619065294.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is he ever, EVER going to publish the next book let alone finish the series?

>> No.15217533

>>15216552
lol

>> No.15217561

>>15217506
It's going to be Wheel of Time all over again. I get the feeling it's going to be Neil fucking Gayman taking over though.

>> No.15217670

>>15216619
Based

>> No.15217778

The threads tl;dr:
Martin lucked into fame and now people think he's the king of fantasy. To borrow a quote from the late great Bloom: He can't write and he certainly can't think.

>> No.15218312

>>15216552
>ASOIAF is the result of a lazy man of average intelligence crafting a LOTR/WOT Fanfiction
You misunderstand what actually inspired Martin. ASOIAIF is more takes more from historical fiction (for instance, many of the characters are directly ripped from I, Claudius) than it does the high fantasy of the past. The problem is that Martin isn’t half the writer someone like Graves was.

>> No.15218433

>>15218312
Let's play a game: I'll remove names and you can guess who wrote it, Graves or Martin.

1) [] reflected on the men who had been Hand before him, who had proved no match for his sister’s wiles. How could they be? Men like that... too honest to live, too noble to shit, [] devours such fools every morning when she breaks her fast.

2) She was sopping wet when he entered her. “Damn you,” she said. “Damn you damn you damn you.” He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her cunt became the world. Her cunt became the world.

3) To recommend a monarchy on account of the prosperity it gives the provinces seems to me like recommending that a man should have liberty to treat his children as slaves, if at the same time he treats his slaves with reasonable consideration

4) The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit.

5) There are two different ways of writing history: one is to persuade men to virtue and the other is to compel men to truth.

6) Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water.

>> No.15218902

>>15217561
Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Peter Watts, most anyone would be better.

>> No.15218906
File: 442 KB, 1021x592, shat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15218433
last one is george

>> No.15218923

>>15218433
I recognize all of Grrm’s quotes from memes.

>> No.15218932

>>15218902
pretty sure neil gaiman is 10x worse than martin

>> No.15218935

>>15217506
>Waiting for Bran to be made king
>Waiting for the part when Sam reveals he's been writing a history called A Song of Ice and Fire
>Waiting for Dany and Jon to meet so we can get the series title
>Waiting for those four chapters that will push Dany to become the Mad Queen
>Waiting for Jaime to murder Cersei
>Waiting for the Cleganes to fight
Why do people want this?

>> No.15218960

>>15218932
>THE MORE SHE DRANK THE MORE SHE SHAT
You sure about that?

>> No.15218983

>>15218923
Why does he write so much about cunts, tits, and feces?
>>15218932
I have never read a book by Gaiman so I cannot judge him as an author, and I do not like him because he strikes me as an orbiter who surrounds himself with his betters (like Wil Wheaton), but the man created Coraline, American Gods, Stardust, and Sandman. Regardless of how we feel about those works, he has shown himself to have range for better or worse. Martin wrote a bunch of shitty sci-fi, then a bunch of shitty television, and then his series was discovered by Kurtzman and Orci wannabes and suddenly he is considered a god because those two happened to pick his series. If they had picked up Malazan Book of the Fallen then we would not be here. Gaiman probably wormed or manipulated his way into adaptions via social connections. Gaiman was active. And his slut wife has decent tits.

>> No.15219002

>>15218983
>Gaiman was active. And his slut wife has decent tits.
Forgot to mention they are in an open relationship, meaning she fucks other guys and he probably watches, making him a literal cuckold. If he gets pussy, I want proof.

>> No.15219027

II haven't read GRRM and have no wish to do so, but I feel quite certain that calling him average is having a far too optimistic view of society. The average is probably closer to even less imaginative literal whos sitting beside him on the fantasy shelves.

>> No.15219052

>>15219027
>less imaginative
ASOIAF would not exist without older fantasy to build off of. He took from Moorcock, Tolkien, as pointed out earlier he took from Graves, etc. They call the midget a "dwarf" get it?
> literal whos
This was Martin before HBO

>> No.15219056

>>15218960
there's nothing wrong with that line, especially in context

>> No.15219067

>>15218983
afaik a song of ice and fire was pretty popular before the adaptation, maybe someone can tell us exactly how popular

>They call the midget a "dwarf" get it?
wtf are you on about cunt

>> No.15219091

I don't like Martin that much myself but he's a great writer and above average prose stylist as far as current fantasy authors go.

I don't read a ton of modern fantasy but Bakker is the only writer I can think of whose got him firmly beat in both areas. Martin is certainly a cut above the average "assasin's apprentice featuring a strong female character assassin who spends most of her time thinking about chad" I see on the shelf, and they themselves are better than the unpublished and kindle unlimited authors

>> No.15219102

>>15219067
How fucking stupid are you? It's a wink to the audience. Dwarves are a race in fantasy worlds, although Martin is trying to be more "realistic" in terms of not having dwarves and elves (although he has giants and dragons, go figure). Anything else I should spell out for ya?

>> No.15219128

>>15219091
Or maybe just don't read current fantasy authors because it's a waste of time.

>> No.15219142

>>15219091
>above average prose stylist as far as current fantasy authors go
Then current fantasy is garbage, because I remember running across sentences when Martin had three characters together, and would use pronouns instead of names.
"He told him he would..."
Some sentences would be constructed in an improper order, like what should have been before the first comma was after the second comma. It didn't happen all the time but you can find some of these if you take note of them during a re-read.

>> No.15219320

>>15219102
you realise people use the word dwarf to refer to short people though? Dwarf is a totally fine word for them to use, midget sounds too modern and slangy
What do you think they called midgets/dwarfs in the middle ages? Midgets?

>>15219142
it probably is, i've read the books and I don't remember coming across any of those. probably coming off as a martin apologist now but there's nothing inherently wrong about not using the characters names in that kind of situation, as long as it's clear (which is probably is given he uses POV's).

It reads better than something like "Jon had told Tywin that (and you can't use he here because it's unclear) Jaime would be too young to ride."

>> No.15219401

>>15219142
>Then current fantasy is garbage
like the average man

>> No.15219455

>>15216552
Still the best living fantasy author.

>> No.15219463
File: 12 KB, 184x274, bakker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15219455
>blocks ur path

>> No.15219470

>>15219455
is he really an author if he doesn't write anymore?

>> No.15219485

>>15219470
The Winds of Winter is being written. He's working as hard as he can every day.

>> No.15219548

People have a hard time understanding that ultra smart people can write or enjoy terrible stuff. Marx was a galaxy brain, yet was wrong about literally everything. Denying that Martin is highly intelligent is absurd. In terms of plot depth (I'm not talking about intellectual or emotional depth, although the story has some of those as well) no one has ever written anything that comes even close. Like it or not, and regardless of the series' literary merit, ASOIAF could very well be the single most complex story ever told. Every character has a background, motives, siblings, nothing is glossed over, characters don't come out of nowhere the way they do in generic genre works, every step in the story is laid out and elaborated rationally, nothing is contrived or nonsensical. It's simply a massive achievement of storytelling, whether you like the story or not, and it's by no means the work of an unintelligent person.

>> No.15219577

>>15218935
I just want to see all the butthurt from people that bothered to read this shit when he dies desu

>> No.15219644

>>15219548
what's interesting is that you would assume that a writer who did that would be an autistic planner but he apparently does a lot of it on the fly

>> No.15219680

>>15219548
He literally just copypastes history books you tard. "No one has ever written anything that comes even close" Shut the FUCK UP.

>> No.15219692

>>15219680
name someone then

>> No.15220094

>>15219692
Tolstoy

>> No.15220272

>>15218433
>The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit.

Good writers write about what they know.

QED.

>> No.15220367
File: 18 KB, 350x423, 97674222-F407-42B4-8790-8592776A32D6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15219548
>no one has ever written anything that comes even close
A literal who stoner who wrote a video game while on shrooms completely blows George out in terms of depth and complexity and unlike George he’s still writing

>> No.15221352

>>15219548
I'm not taking this bait. For a person to truly believe this you must have only read ASOIAF and nothing else.

>> No.15221368

>>15220367
Who?

>> No.15221413

>>15219548
>Every character has a background, motives, siblings, nothing is glossed over, characters don't come out of nowhere the way they do in generic genre works, every step in the story is laid out and elaborated rationally, nothing is contrived or nonsensical. It's simply a massive achievement of storytelling, whether you like the story or not, and it's by no means the work of an unintelligent person.
How much of it is actually meaningful. I've met several nerds who go crazy over masturbatory "worldbuilding," but will start to bitch when Dickens describes how a character butters her bread. Dweebs are the worst.

>> No.15221522
File: 2.74 MB, 2271x3994, IMG_20200427_215754.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Worldbuilding is hard. This was maybe my answer to Martin, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. A Song of Ice and Fire had a very shallow background: that if the king had a gold mine, he was rich. We look at history and it’s not that simple. Martin can say that Starks ruled the North for 9,000 years and commoners loved them. But Martin doesn’t ask the question: what was the Seven Kingdoms' administrative division? Do they collect a head tax or a chimney tax? What was their writing system in which they kept records? And what about the calendars? By the end of the book, we're told there are the long and short winters, but we still have no idea how long they spanned. Did the Targaryen kings pursue the policy of lunisolar astronomical observation and account for difference in length of Planetos orbiting the Sun? Even the leap hours and little infinitesimal leap minutes?

>> No.15221744

>>15221522
And it was pointed out that if the majority of wildlings lived behind the wall for centuries without interacting with those before the wall, then the likelihood of both wildlings and northmen speaking the same "common tongue" is astronomically low. It would be like discovering an indigenous tribe and them speaking perfect modern english.
Also, if the wall is 800 feet tall, how can humans shoot arrows towards the top while standing on the ground?

>> No.15221882
File: 168 KB, 800x582, F6C9AC13-B239-421B-97A5-A95BE3F44276.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15221368
Michael Kirkbride he wrote morrowind

>> No.15221897

>>15216552
Agreed but Tucker Carlson is way better than most news anchors.

>> No.15221904

>>15216738
>'
oof, sorry buddy, i listened to what you had to say up until that point

>> No.15221940

>>15218433
I refuse to believe Graves ever swore in his writing so... he might have written 3) and 5) but idk

>> No.15221946

>>15221882
He wrote it on shrooms?

>> No.15222003

>>15219548
It's been out-complexitied and out-plotted by fucking anime series. Let alone actual literature.

>> No.15222040

>>15216870
Not op, but that's what they called my elementary school English classes. I'm 18 btw.

>> No.15222052

>>15218935
I think he cost himself some book sales. Nobody wants to see Bran as king. All those people who named their children Khalessi or Daenarys do not want to see Dany become the villain.

>> No.15222633

>>15219485

I want to believe this, I want to fucking read it, but I don't know man, Im doubting if it will be published, and if he finishes WoW good fucking luck on waiting for ADoS

>> No.15222654

>>15216552
>LOTR/WOT Fanfiction
It's a Tad Williams fanfic. Also, WOT isn't any better.

>> No.15222657

>>15222633
This is GRRM. He might decide he wants three more books instead of two.

>> No.15222658

>>15216552
TL;DR

>> No.15222714

>>15217020
Moral ambiguity exists in Tolkien though.

>> No.15222727

>>15218935
>>Waiting for the Cleganes to fight
This assuredly won't happen. We likely won't see Sandor again in the books.

>> No.15222739

>>15219002
That's not how it works with famous couples. He's more famous, so he sleeps around, not her.

>> No.15222747

>>15222739
The financially dependent partner is actually more likely to cheat.

>> No.15222750

>>15219485
>The Winds of Winter is being written.
It's not.

>> No.15222768

>>15222747
That may be true, but it doesn't negate what I said. Cheating is a breach of the relationship rules. In an open relationship where each partner is famous, the more famous partner is adhering to the rules by sleeping around. It's only cheating if the less famous partner does it. The point being, Gaiman's assuredly sleeping around.

>> No.15222822
File: 443 KB, 2133x1600, 201343amanda.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15222768
His wife is a con artist beggar (probably a sociopath too) who manipulated Gaiman into agreeing. Have you ever seen an interview with Gaiman? He's the most sensitive man on Earth. This isn't an alpha banging 9/10s at the club. Elliot Smith would look at this guy and say "God, you're depressing". It sucks every successful man has a succubus to bring him down.

>> No.15222828

>>15222822
Oh, and she really wants to be Marina Abramovic

>> No.15222837

>>15218433
so can anyone say which of these is by which author

>> No.15222854

>>15222837
2, 4 and 6 are definitely GRRM. Not sure about the others.

>> No.15222855

>>15222837
Go ahead.

>> No.15222859

>>15222837
>>15222854
1 is GRRM too actually, so 3 and 5 would be Graves.

>> No.15222862

>>15222854
1 as well

>> No.15222867

OOOOOOH ELDEN RING

>> No.15223032

>>15221897

when you get all your takes from twitter and podcasts

>> No.15223051

>>15222052
>All those people who named their children Khalessi or Daenarys
so like a couple dozen people?

>> No.15223206

tolkien is ocarnia of time, martin is demon souls

>> No.15223325

>>15223206
So Tolkien is good and Martin is edgey trash loved by zoomers?

>> No.15223361
File: 64 KB, 321x379, B6C7B615-8CA1-4E96-88C5-A3D4BC3B7BA9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15221946
Yep and he managed to write a entirely unique fresh fantasy universe with a extremely unique blend of Gnosticism Neoplatonism and a pinch of buddhism all wrapped in a fresh alien world in like one month. Something Martin couldn’t do in 30 years. Seriously how the fuck do people worship the “depth of his world” when you have shit like “what gods do the northmen worship” and he’s like “lol bro they worship the “old gods” yet they also speak the exact language as the southerners and said gods are so vague they are basically just decorations lol”

>> No.15223577

>>15216552
Sounds resentful of his success.
This always happens, whatever is wrong with something magically becomes exponentially more wrong by becoming popular, in proportion of the popularity.

>And as the wildlings prove he doesn't understand the evolution as language as well
I doubt Martin didn't consider giving them a different language, but the idea is that the wildlings are closely related to the northerners, and they serve to provide a point about how they're treated as more alien than they are due to social prejudices.

>his imagination is that of a perverted teen
This is just targeting the popular reputation of ASOIAF, which was really just a selling point blown out of proportion largely by force of the TV show. But the sexual aspect isn't actually that significant in the books. I guess people are just charmed that it's there, and it was naturally amplified in the show. It's really not perverted, it's tame, neutral, and not really erotic. George is operating under a premise about sex being a fact of life and wants to represent it frankly. How well he does so is a separate question, of course, but the books are really not sexually charged.

>while writing about the sweat between the breasts of 13 year old Daenerys
I didn't really see an eroticization of 13 year old Daenerys. She is sexually exploited by others, but that doesn't play out in a way that seems motivated by Martin's sexuality as opposed to a story you'd expect for someone in her position.

> Goddamn HBO and the two brainlet showrunners for introducing him to the public and convincing the masses that he is "The new Tolkien"
Of course that's an overstatement about him, he's no Tolkien, but you feel way too strongly about this and he's not that bad. Or at least not bad in the places you described. There's plenty to critique in ASOIAF, obviously, but I don't agree with your critique.

>> No.15223613

>>15223361
>extremely unique blend of Gnosticism Neoplatonism and a pinch of buddhism
Are these features you perceive in it, or is there evidence elsewhere that he was informed in gnosticism, neoplatonism, and buddhism?

>> No.15223655

>>15223613
He straight up says in q&as. One big aspect in morrowind is CHIM for example “CHIM” is basically a state of complete self realization where you untangle yourself completely from the material world and achieve connection to the flowing spirit of existence

>> No.15223658

>>15216552
>he is an old creep pretending to be a feminist liberal while writing about the sweat between the breasts of 13 year old Daenerys.
moshi moshi, basedu departmentu?

>> No.15223672

>>15223577
Here we go again
>wildlings are closely related to the northerners, and they serve to provide a point about how they're treated as more alien than they are due to social prejudices.
And, once again, they have been separated for centuries. There would be major differences in their languages. Languages deviate over time.
>It's really not perverted, it's tame, neutral, and not really erotic.
"She was sopping wet when he entered her. “Damn you,” she said. “Damn you damn you damn you.” He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her cunt became the world. Her cunt became the world."
"The queen slid a finger into that Myrish swamp, then another, moving them in and out."
Don't waste my time

>> No.15223684

>>15216552
Game of thrones has more in depth world building than LOTR.

>> No.15223686

>>15223206
Tolkien is Shigeru Miyamoto and GRRM is David Cage

>> No.15223707

>>15222040
yeah, in my leaf k-12 elementary it was called that (age 21)

>> No.15223710

>>15223613
Here’s another example a sample of the creation myth of the elder scrolls universe

>“The Cosmos formed from the Aurbis [chaos, or totality] by Anu and Padomay. Akatosh (Auriel) formed and time began. The Gods (et’ Ada) formed. Lorkhan convinced– or tricked– the Gods into creating the mortal plane, Nirn. The mortal place was at this point highly magical and dangerous. As the Gods walked, the physical make-up of the mortal plane and even the timeless continuity of existence itself became unstable.”

> “When Magic (Magnus), architect of the plans for the mortal world, decided to terminate the project, the Gods convened at the Adamantine tower [Direnni Tower, the oldest known structure in Tamriel] and decided what to do. Most left when Magic did. Others sacrificed themselves into other forms so that they might stay (the Ehlnofey). Lorkhan was condemned by the Gods to exile in the mortal realms, and his heart was torn out and cast from the Tower. Where it landed, a Volcano formed. With Magidc (in the Mythic sense) gone, the Cosmos stabilized. Elven history, finally linear, began (ME2500).”

>> No.15223740

>>15218433
i know 2 and 6 are marty from memes

>> No.15223756

>>15219052
martin was known in scifi and fantasy before hbo. ASOIAF has had dedicated fans from early on.

>> No.15223769

>>15219470
that's not accurate. he spends his time writing lore books now.

>> No.15223782

>>15219548
this. i don't like his prose and find the content uninteresting, but i recognize he's a skilled plotter and there is some merit to his stuff.

>> No.15223792

>>15218433
>To recommend a monarchy on account of the prosperity it gives the provinces seems to me like recommending that a man should have liberty to treat his children as slaves, if at the same time he treats his slaves with reasonable consideration
this unironically. very based.

>> No.15223803

>>15223672
wow, so much evidence

>> No.15223980

>>15222003
In a sumo battle between Martin and Anno, Martin would pin him on the first throw. And then poke his eyes out.

>> No.15224008

>>15216738
>Worst of all, George RR Martin does not care enough about his world to finish it
Or he cares too much!

>I do believe that Martin has written himself into many corners that he did not vision himself steering into. If only he had outlined like most authors of fantasy series do

He already knows the ending, he just wants to nail the landing, like Greg Louganis diving 30 metres into a teacup - without spilling a drop.

> He has not been working on the new book, or he recently started within the past two years.

He wrote A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms -- not a masterpiece, but the first story was excellent. Martin is a damn good storyteller. People can complain all they want about what he's not, or what they wish he would do, but that can't take that away from him (at least, not if they're being fair judges of the work).

>> No.15224145

>>15223672
>And, once again, they have been separated for centuries. There would be major differences in their languages. Languages deviate over time.
For one, it isn't a complete separation. Wildlings and Northerners continued to interact.
But for the most part, again, the wildlings are just serving a narrative role, and I insist that the prospect of them having a different language would have been a really, really, really obvious one to the author - he chose against it, because it was better for the story.

>"She was sopping wet when he entered her. “Damn you,” she said. “Damn you damn you damn you.” He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her cunt became the world. Her cunt became the world."
>"The queen slid a finger into that Myrish swamp, then another, moving them in and out."
I feel like everything I said stands