[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 141 KB, 1000x1091, 1584975325547.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15207052 No.15207052 [Reply] [Original]

I am too weak to do a leap of faith, I can't
At my lowest point I found God through sheer love, I read Kierkegaard and became connected with christ, after that, I went through an endless journey to find the truth within Plato and Neoplatonists.
Most people at my age at that time, the groups I frequented, everyone around me did for pure greed and even pride, trying magic to manipulate the world, finding the truth, evolving your soul, myself included, even though it was nothing but a lie, all I wanted is not to fear death.
I have a found memory from when I was a kid, about 5 years of age, I have dreamt something that scared me, I was in a cruise, and this 40ish black man said to me:
"What happens after we pass away?"
I didn't know the answer, thus dread started to consume me, I woke up and I rushed to my father asking him "what happens after we die?" He said "nothing, go to sleep", and I went to bed
Years after years of therapy at this age because of a dream, I remember being awake at night, checking my father's breath so I could know he was alive, I was constantly in pain, but after sometime, it faded away.
Nowadays, I am at my max, I have a great girlfriend, lovable friends, I moved countries to do my undergrad, and I should be at the peak of my life.
This though haunted me recently, since I knew I didn't find an answer.
/lit/, I am scared, I cry everyday, I don't want to lose my father, and even if I lose him, I want to know I will find him in a next life, or in heaven, anywhere, anytime, I just want to be with my father forever.
What happens after death, /lit/? I've seen many threads about many religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, Guenonfags, Caths, Orthodoxies, Neoplatonists and some neo-pagan shit that I never got into.
I just want an answer, I just want to be with my father. I am scared

>> No.15207119

>>15207052
Sorry for my grammar, I wrote this in a rush, it took me a while to open up to someone, even as an anonymous person.
I can't bring myself to live a happy life without being sure, not even by mind, but by heart, that everything will be ok after matter shatters.
I am tired, I want to sleep, I want to study, I want to live a normal life, but no, I fucking can't, everything just gets worse and worse.
Suicide has become a zeitgeist of some sort, such as depression, it is more common than ever, the thought of ending it all.
I am at the other end by luck or misfortune, I don't want it to end.

>> No.15207450

>>15207052
Have you tried /mlp/

>> No.15207454

>>15207052
>40ish black man
that was allah bro

spiritual exploration can only go so far. pop some happy pills and keep going to therapy. hopefully you'll end up in a better state to consider your existence.

>> No.15207458

Anon, Firstly, I will be honest with you as possible, if we knew for sure it would be a common fact. However, this doesn't mean we can't make an inference from the experience of others. Many claim that when they died, momentarily of course, that they saw more, Heaven, another reality or evidence of reincatnation. Now im not saying that the afterlife is real, but assuming the sheer volume of reports of similar events, that there is probably something after this. I myself am Catholic (inb4 christcuck), and I implore you to check this out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDRooQmtFJ3V81101wGvi5Q/videos and do your own research. I lean, outside of my religon, torwards there being something, but I might be biased. Im praying for you Anon, God Bless you.

>> No.15207511

>>15207458
Thank you so much for the kind words, I won't take them for granted
God bless you, Anon

>> No.15207568
File: 33 KB, 594x650, Philo1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15207052
Most likely nothing happens, its blank, turns off. The winds of the barren Earth, calm once more the water steams on the rocks clearing the dust of forever forgotten people. Once more the Wheel of time turns Chaos churns and the Void goes on.

Start with metaphysics, what is base reality? Well if i think there for I am then the smallest reality can possibly be is my mind. But how is it that I have a mind? Well if I am make perceptions and can not, not have these perception then I must act as if they are real. This is Materialism. Now we can use the scientific method and per review to get our observations. And when put to the test the idea of God does not seem to hold up. Also we have evidence that there is a strong contention between religion and schizophrenia. But if you want something that might comfort you, then you can realize that you are not in the universe but apart of it. You are reality experiencing its self.
Any questions, comments, or concerns OP?

>> No.15207597

>>15207568
It's hard to make a case for materialism, specially since it relies too much on results when our questions have a different path.
One can make a case also that wrong theories might work, most of our astronomy was really useful before we knew that the sun was the center of the solar system, newtonian physics always worked even though they were theoretically wrong, same can go for euclidean geometry.
Remember basic logic, if false then true is true, but if true then false is false
We can create science that works with bad assumptions.

>> No.15207604

>>15207568
>God does not seem to hold up
Define God?

>> No.15207625

>>15207597
>It's hard to make a case for materialism
no, in fact it almost impossible not to
>most of our astronomy was really useful before we knew that the sun was the center of the solar system
A lack of information and a theological bias

>>15207604
Any being, force,or conscious entity that can act outside the laws of physics (has supernatural powers)

>> No.15207631

>>15207625
Wouldnt current ideas about simulation theory or first-mover go against it not holding up? Also if it is out of reality/is reality would it not be unmeasurable by our physical means? also thanks for not just calling me a faggot or a nigger

>> No.15207657

>>15207631
>simulation theory
its just modern sense dualism, even if this is a simulation and there seems ti be no way out then we have no choice but to accept as real. (Unless you have some revelation you want to let use all know about)

>Also if it is out of reality/is reality would it not be unmeasurable by our physical means?
But there seems to be no legitimate reason to believe that and we know the source some of such ideas are highly related to schizophrenic spectrum disorders.

>your welcome niggerfaggot

>> No.15207666

>>15207657
<3, I more meant that lets say we know 100% the observable universe is all a simulation, us too, wouldnt the fact it is a simulation suggest an intelligent creator? and also the shizo part I agree with that it could generate false beliefs, but I was think more of the Aristotle God if we are coming from hard thinking

>> No.15207673
File: 114 KB, 546x790, 1579599579860.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>le universe is a simulation
I despise wojak posting but this is what you deserve.

>> No.15207676

>>15207625
Exactly, materialists create theories without basis because they work, and hope to increment them with time, even if they are contradictory
You fell into your trap, my dude

>> No.15207681

>>15207666
>lets say we know 100% the observable universe is all a simulation, us too, wouldnt the fact it is a simulation suggest an intelligent creator?
yes there would have to be an outside force generating this reality if we some how knew that as a fact. (but as there seem to not be any...)

What do you mean by Aristotelian God?

>>15207676
>You fell into your trap, my dude
hold on whats the trap?

>> No.15207683

>>15207673
no one is saying they believe that where only speaking hypothetically
you just wanted an excuse to post that meme

>> No.15207699

There is no 'proof' I could show you of any of this - but I believe there is a resurrection of the dead, and then transformation through 'judgement', judgement not in the sense of being condemned or told off, but in terms of comprehension and understanding. Nobody can really 'die' in the sense of complete annihilation of consciousness, because our creator plans on bringing us all into his presence (all flesh). If anything, every single part of us will come more alive at the resurrection - every experience you've had but have forgotten now, will be made alive to us all, every thing you wondered about but couldn't understand will be revealed. Now, I am also promised that the truth endures and lies perish, and that when you harm another you harm yourself. So we will be transformed by judgement, all the terrible things of this age will essentially be 'burnt up' by this judgement - they will be revealed to be empty and fleeting. So don't worry, your dad as you know him only has good things to look forward to.

-t. servant of God

>> No.15207706

>>15207699
That makes me genuinely happy, thank you so much, anon c:

>> No.15207711
File: 14 KB, 480x360, rick roderick 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15207699
>he fell for the faith meme
what is faith to you?

>> No.15207728

>>15207711

My belief is actually quite hard to get into, and at this point I can't go into a huge amount of detail, bu basically I believe in the Old Testament as a literal instruction from our creator, for an elect. All people and animals ("all flesh") will ultimately be redeemed through this elect serving God's will.

So it's not about "faith" that God exists, it's much more specific - it's about embracing a relationship with the promises in the text, which admittedly isn't something that can really be argued as a 'logical' or 'rational' thing. I simply believe that these promises have good grounding, that they really do come from the creator, and that I can trust them.

>> No.15207741

>>15207728
>isn't something that can really be argued as a 'logical' or 'rational' thing
fond the schizo
are you some kind of Gnostic?

>> No.15207758

>>15207741

>fond the schizo

I don't really want to get into an argument or debate, because as I said it's pointless. I don't see how what you've quoted makes me 'schizo', though. Maybe I'm using the wrong words, I'm just trying to say that my faith is about how I respond to these promises in the text, they're promises which for the most part are extraordinary (a resurrection of the dead), so I can't really argue them on scientific or materialist grounds - but I believe them nonetheless and don't believe they're entirely UNreasonable - I believe everything is formed through intelligence, and that the intelligence that created all things intends good things for me (and all of us).

>are you some kind of Gnostic?

I'm really not sure.

I was just visiting lit randomly (rarely ever visit), and wanted to comfort OP a bit with my belief, which I know can comfort people, and which I believe is a justified comfort.

>> No.15207764

>>15207052
SOOOOOOOOOONIC HEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONIC HEEEEEEEEROOOOOOooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

>> No.15207775

>>15207758
>I don't see how what you've quoted makes me 'schizo'
no logical thinking is how schizos think
https://youtu.be/4WwAQqWUkpI

>how I respond to these promises in the text
but how do you know the text is legitimate? God said so? Prove God is real. If God really exist I really want to know, if hell is real I don't want to go there.

>> No.15207800

>>15207775

>no logical thinking is how schizos think

I'm not saying that logical thinking is bad. I'm all for rationality, logic, and science - but take the example of a friendship between two humans; to what degree can one of those humans make a sort of rational argument online for why they trust or like the other person?

>but how do you know the text is legitimate? God said so? Prove God is real. If God really exist I really want to know, if hell is real I don't want to go there.

I don't know, it simply resonates with my understanding of the world and with my hopes and desires, and what makes sense. Not because 'God' says so, but because the text says so, which I believe is ultimately a vehicle for Gods message. It's pointless trying to convince you or anyone logically, that's not even the point.

> Prove God is real.

I can't really do this.

>if hell is real I don't want to go there.

I don't subscribe to belief in Hell. In fact I reject the New Testament gospel accounts as authoritative or legitimate, as I said I believe in the Old Testament. However, I don't believe any of the New Testament gospel accounts, or any of the letters (apart from POSSIBLY 'The Book of Revelation') actually argue for Hell. I believe that the 'doctrine of Hell' was introduced after those gospel accounts were written, and misrepresent what they actually claim in the first place. There is plenty of information on this written online for you to read.

>> No.15207820
File: 115 KB, 795x960, 1580075025808.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15207052
obligatory pic related

don't be a greedy wuss anon, you lucked into a decent existence so make the best of it and be grateful for what it is

things don't need to be eternal to be worthwhile

>> No.15207835

>>15207800
>I'm not saying that logical thinking is bad. I'm all for rationality, logic, and science - but take the example of a friendship between two humans; to what degree can one of those humans make a sort of rational argument online for why they trust or like the other person?
Ok yes pure logic is not something that neither humans have non should want, but to directly go agents any reasonable explanation doesn't make seance. We can to some level say there is a rational behind friendship as humans are social animals, but we cant say, this book said so, so that's that.

>but because the text says so, which I believe is ultimately a vehicle for Gods message
>I can't really [prove God]
So the only force behind your belief is faith, what then is faith I ask again? It cant be wait the text says because we cant prove the text is real because we cant prove God is real. To me faith is believing in something because it makes you feel good, its an irrational cope. Not trying to be mean by saying that just tell you what I think.
It seems to me your understanding of reality is completely wrong.

>> No.15207839

>>15207820
>things don't need to be eternal to be worthwhile
HA YES! I hate when people say "if theirs nothing after death the whats the point" they only think that because they where trained to think that.

>> No.15207869

>>15207835

>So the only force behind your belief is faith, what then is faith I ask again?

Yes my belief is simply based on my trust in the message, that the message makes sense and has validity. It's very analogous to a human being coming up to you and promising you things if you go with them and trust them - you could easily be wrong. The possibility of being wrong in my case is a real one I have to face. I was a big fan of the TV show LOST, and a major theme in that was people trusting others often or almost always ends in trouble, and in one case some people were following what they thought were Gods or a God type figure, and only ended up manipulated and doing harm as a result. The major distinction though, is that the claims made in the text involve the fate of not just me but everyone, an the promises are promises no human could make or hope to fulfill.

>To me faith is believing in something because it makes you feel good, its an irrational cope.

This term 'cope' has some value when it's pointing out or challenging people's beliefs or self-delusions, but very often 'cope' has come to be used to simply dismiss alternate ways of looking at the world, it's very popular with doomers and incels (not making fun of incels, I'm a Wizard myself) almost as a psychological defence mechanism against having their own views challenged. Ultimately there's no way to really say whether what I'm believing is cope or not, we will find out. But to me it's more than just 'coping', because I feel like there's more of a degree of seeing greater 'consistency' and 'meaning' in what I believe, than the opposite. I would actually prefer the truth no matter what, even if it was painful (I suppose I may be deluding myself here, but as far as I'm aware, that's how I feel). I cannot really convince you of any of this , though.

>> No.15208012

>>15207820
>>15207839
You guys are wrong. I have just learned this today: dissolve your ego. To live within your own ego is futility; to live outside of yourself is eternity. I am trying to learn more about this, but your smugness disturbed me. So I had to tell you what I know – wake up to futility and persist.

>> No.15208092

>>15208012
That's just a platitude, anon. But hey, if it works for you then go for it (protip: it's not working if smugness disturbs you).

>> No.15208140

>>15207052
you wont see your father again when he is dead. his memory will be wiped and since he is not spiritually developed, he will simply move on to some other individual state of existence (not the human state, as he was in that already, and to limit the souls experience to this state is to deny the infinitude of the universe)

>> No.15208724
File: 973 KB, 2000x1485, 1586645896545.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15207052
anon...

>> No.15208862

>>15207625
You aware that materialism equates to looking under a microscope and keeping your other eye closed while claiming that what you see under the microscope is the only thing that exists?

>> No.15208910

>>15207741
What he’s referring to is intuitive knowledge, gnosis, if you like. Either way, it’s a key aspect of most religions.

>> No.15208930
File: 7 KB, 191x264, unknown friend.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15208910
based