[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1018 KB, 596x821, 1587422093077.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15206859 No.15206859 [Reply] [Original]

>decide to write uni philosophy essay in english to get use to writing the language because most of the materials are in english anyways
>fail miserably and be unable to express thoughts clearly

How can I as an ESL learn to write long and complex texts effectively in English ? I will do whatever it takes during the summer to be able to express my thoughts as clearly in English as in my first language. Should I just try to write a lot essays or what ?

>> No.15207122

>>15206859
Ignoring the few outliers with strong dialects, The Pickwick Papers by Dickens generally covers a lot of breadth of the prescriptive English language. You need mass exposure to content. Do a lot of reading and copy the style until it becomes your own. I do spurts of full immersion in a language foreign to me - so much so that I sometimes stumble for the English word for something whereas the foreign word is readily produced. Service manuals for high dollar equipment, boring though they may be, are also generally a good source for prescriptive language.

>> No.15208045

>>15206859
I would rail that bitch so hard.