[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 415 KB, 388x518, Taleb's_picture_001 (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15176326 No.15176326 [Reply] [Original]

>My parents had an account with the largest bookstore in Beirut and I would pick up books in what seemed to me unlimited quantities. There was such a difference between the shelves of the library and the narrow school material; so I realized that school was a plot designed to deprive people of erudition by squeezing their knowledge into a narrow set of authors. I started, around the age of thirteen, to keep a log of my reading hours, shooting for between thirty and sixty a week, a practice I’ve kept up for a long time. I read the likes of Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, Chekhov, Bishop Bossuet, Stendhal, Dante, Proust, Borges, Calvino, Céline, Schultz, Zweig (didn’t like), Henry Miller, Max Brod, Kafka, Ionesco, the surrealists, Faulkner, Malraux (along with other wild adventurers such as Conrad and Melville; the first book I read in English was Moby-Dick) and similar authors in literature, many of them obscure, and Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Marx, Jaspers, Husserl, Lévi-Strauss, Levinas, Scholem, Benjamin, and similar ones in philosophy because they had the golden status of not being on the school program, and I managed to read nothing that was prescribed by school so to this day I haven’t read Racine, Corneille, and other bores. One summer I decided to read the twenty novels by Émile Zola in twenty days, one a day, and managed to do so at great expense. Perhaps joining an underground anti-government group motivated me to look into Marxist studies, and I picked up the most about Hegel indirectly, mostly through Alexandre Kojève.
>When I decided to come to the United States, I repeated, around the age of eighteen, the marathon exercise by buying a few hundred books in English (by authors ranging from Trollope to Burke, Macaulay, and Gibbon, with Anaïs Nin and other then fashionable authors de scandale), not showing up to class, and keeping the thirty- to sixty-hour discipline.

>> No.15176418

>>15176326
so, I must believe that this guy became a billionaire trading and studying maths, and at the same time he read all the literature and philosophy classics, even complicated authors like Husserl? yet all he has accomplished is a popsci rehash of a very simple idea? all that work only for that? lmao what a failure

>> No.15176450

Right wing thinkers:
Peterson
Evola
Guénon
Hitler

Left wing thinkers:
Foucault
Marx
Cohen
Engels
Rousseau
Zizek
Chomsky
Harvey
Wolff
Derrida
Orwell
Adorno
Horkheimer
Deleuze
... To name a few
>>15176418
>so, I must believe that this guy became a billionaire trading and studying maths, and at the same time he read all the literature and philosophy classics, even complicated authors like Husserl?
Yes.
>yet all he has accomplished is a popsci rehash of a very simple idea? all that work only for that? lmao what a failure
You haven't read Incerto, imbecile.

>> No.15176822

>>15176326
Holy based

>> No.15176937

>>15176418
Yeah he's fucking lying. You can't understand Hegel to any acceptable degree without having read Kant and Aristotle.

>> No.15177153

>>15176937
He has read them both