[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 68 KB, 250x377, 563.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1515571 No.1515571 [Reply] [Original]

I'm thinking of reading this. Any thoughts on it ?

>> No.1515574

I too will read it OP. We can take solace in the fact that we know someone else out there is reading this.

>> No.1515576

I will also read it, but I will read it faster and then spoil the ending for both of you.

>> No.1515592

>>1515576
"the ending" . . . .

>> No.1515593

>>1515576
>>1515592
The Chicken did it

>> No.1515650
File: 29 KB, 487x800, 03-5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It sits on my shelf waiting to be read. That is my thought on it.

>> No.1515655

Basic structure: Bitch about Lacan. Bitch about Lacan's loss of credit in the modern age. Bitch about pop culture. Talk about something really obscene. Relate said obscenity to pop culture. Wrap it back up into a quip concerning the failure of the modern age. Wrap that back into a nice package criticizing Kant. Criticize Europe. Make Nazi references. Talk more about obscenity. Talk about the latest movie he saw. Talk about how that movie relates to Schopenhauer. Talk in obscenities. The modern age is a failure. Bitch about how Lacan foresaw all of this. Bitch about the fact that Lacan is still obscure and unnoticed by the English speaking audience.

Continue yelling into a paper bag until exhausted. Once finished, repeat the same steps in a larger volume with "Living in the End Times".

>> No.1515666

>>1515655
Haha, funny stuff.

>> No.1515687

sage for stupid hipsters

>> No.1515787

It's great. Very funny, very playful (the last line, for instance, made me laugh out loud, which is rare for a philosophy book). It does not, however, resemble a clear, assembled 'argument' - rather it's a long chain of associations and arguments that connect to each other in the short term but never seem to come back to tie each other up in the long term. You might keep thinking "okay, well, this is cool, but what happened to x or y?" That's something you have to track for yourself, because the book just barrels on. WHich is fun, but some might get frustrated.

They might blow their top when confronted with the second half's jargon, which is difficult to follow if you don't already have a grasp of Freud, Lacan, but mostly Hegel. It does still provide the nuggets of analysis and penetrating insight that joyfully populate part 1, but it frequently lost me.