[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 406x670, Dune.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1514144 No.1514144 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/.
At your recommendation I read this, and it was fucking great. The question I have is: are the sequels any good? I'd really like to read more as the ending is pretty open, but I've heard all the other books pretty much butcher this masterpiece.

tl;dr are the Dune sequels good?

>> No.1514265
File: 151 KB, 792x1002, empereur dieu de dune - final.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've read all of them. Some sequels are grouped together.

I really enjoyed "Dune messiah", Paul faces the consequences of its holy war and the plot goes beyond "good Atreides vs evil Harkoneen" as in the first novel.

"Children of Dune" and "God Emperor of Dune" are ok, some interesting ideas.

"Heretics of Dune" and "Chapterhouse: Dune" don't focus on House Atreides anymore, but on the war between the Bene Gesserit (which are now the good guys) and its new enemy.
The "hurr durr let's clone every dead characters" ruined a bit these two last books.
Didn't liked them much.

pic related: it's the god emperor of dune.

>> No.1514301

/lit/ doesn't think so, but I enjoy all of the FRANK Herbert sequels to Dune, though Chapterhouse: Dune/Heretics of Dune, not so much.

>>1514265
>but on the war between the Bene Gesserit (which are now the good guys) and its new enemy.

that's probably why

>> No.1514314

>>1514144
>At your recommendation I read this
how much of a faggot are you that you need /lit/ to recommend you Dune? Read that shit when I was 12

>> No.1515081
File: 24 KB, 214x320, DuneEncyclopedia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1514265
That is about as perfect a critique as I have ever seen.Spot on.

I loved the first 4 books and after that, frank was spending waaaay too much time in the sun

May I also suggest The Dune Encyclopedia-you can get it om amazon & ebay- Frank approved and wrote the forward on this book-its amazing and as large many pages as his first novel