[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 17 KB, 405x289, facepalm7..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1513804 No.1513804 [Reply] [Original]

Good evening /lit/,

This is going to be a bit of a rant but I hope to put some interesting stuff in.

I come here today to talk of incompetence and how prevalent it is among my peers. I'm a senior in High School, the high school I attend was ranked somewhere near #63 in the country (USA) last year, so its a pretty damn good school. The thing is that, day to day, I'm surprised society works if WE are way up at #63.

I'm currently in a senior only english class and the first book we are reading this semester is "Of Mice and Men". Don't get me wrong, its a good book I like a good deal of Steinbeck's writing but the fact that I'm the only one who has read this book (and in 7th grade at that) is frankly, troubling. It's not a hard book. There are maybe three words in the whole thing I don't know but apparently people here don't know any of them. Evident in the fact that the have trouble reading it out loud. Which is another problem I have with these imbeciles! They can't read a sentence properly. They don't know where to put emphasis or when to stop or speed up. They can't take cues from the author and they don't even attempt to put emotion and variety in character's voices. It would seem to me that I'm the only one that reads for pleasure and if that is not true I'm CERTAINLY the only one who reads worthwhile books for pleasure.

AND THATS JUST MY ENGLISH CLASS! Don't get me started on the kids in my math and economics classes. Geography? Out the window! We don't even offer a geography class.

Tell me /lit/ am I the only 18 year old who enjoys reading difficult thought provoking books and magazines and not being a shit head pot smoker? Instill some hope in a young mans heart that the world is not doomed.

Picture VERY related.

>> No.1513840

> Tell me /lit/ am I the only 18 year old who enjoys reading difficult thought provoking books and magazines and not being a shit head pot smoker?
> Tell me /lit/ am I special?

It's high school. C'est la vie.

>> No.1513854

>I'm smarter than everyone else
>wah wah wah
>wah wah wah
>wah wah wah

>> No.1513859

What was the first thing that hit you about of Mice and Men?

>> No.1513867

>this will be a good troll.jpg
op please you have friends right? then no need to hate dumb people in particular, they will eventually get taken advantage of anyway.

>> No.1513868

I feel your pain. I got stuck in the regular English class due to a scheduling issue and I hate it. The best thing to do is just do the bullshit they assign and just grin and bear it. Save your intellect for scholarly companions or just /lit/.

>> No.1513887

>>1513804

Hey fuck you buddy, I smoke pot and am currently reading Ulysses. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm with you on verbal reading, people should put some emotion into it (I tend to only put emotion into quotes as NO ONE puts any emotion into it when reading in my class, so I don't want to stand out, especially for something like verbal reading, where my comprehension instantly goes to zero. Despite this, I still understand that narration has emphasis, and I recognize it when I read it.)

Also what respectable high school has geography? They throw that shit out in favor of World/Euro/American History in every respectable one I have heard of.

>> No.1513893
File: 5 KB, 183x275, fuckthis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>OPs face when
i can't even fathom what it must be like

>> No.1513894

>>1513887

Also, I ain't even mad. As I see assholes like you all the time. Generally you guys are socially inept, hence your irrational hate of marijuana, as you were never invited to smoke/mommy said its bad and what mommy says goes.

>> No.1513898

>>1513804

>They can't take cues from the author and they don't even attempt to put emotion and variety in character's voices.

Wahhh, they don't do the voices when they read to me before bed.

Seriously, you're not the only person in the fucking world who's ever enjoyed a book, ever. You're just petty & uninteresting.

>> No.1513899

>>1513804
>I'm an articulate genius capable of reading sophisticated novels (in 7th grade at that) and I'm upset that not everybody enjoys what I enjoy. /lit/, tell me I'm special.

No.

>> No.1513901

High school is shit. But if the only thing you pull from it is a bloated ego you are in trouble. Yes, 90% of your class is terrible. No, not everyone is terrible. No, you are not really that special and you are not really that smart.

>> No.1513906

>>1513899
>Of Mice and Men
>sophisticated.

That was summer reading 7th or 8th grade over here. But yes, op is an idiot.

>> No.1513910

If you haven't figured it out, high school, and the rest of America, is about promoting "the middle of the road." America is the greatest country in the world for slightly above average people. If you are too smart, though, you get punished by the system, and you will never get rewarded like the others.

C'est la vie.

>> No.1513921

OP...you are a huge douche. that is your problem. grow up and your problems will be solved