[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 376x300, jj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1513074 No.1513074 [Reply] [Original]

I've heard so much about this man, /lit/. And you've intrigued me. I want to start reading some of his works, but where do I start?

A little bit about myself:
-I have a long list of novels I still have to read; I'm not well-read.
-Usually while I read, I like to analyze an author's writing style and, sometimes, practice writing a few things while attempting to mimic it. It helps get me into the mindset of the author and understand the subtleties of his/her works.

I assume I would have a hard time continuing doing the latter, and an even harder time understanding Joyce's works without being well-read, but is there a starting point, of sorts, with him?

>> No.1513078

http://bookstove.com/book-talk/a-short-and-friendly-introduction-to-james-joyce/

http://bookstove.com/book-talk/basic-books-you-should-read-before-ulysses/

>> No.1513086

Dubliners, then Portrait, then Ulysses, then if you have the balls Finnegans wake.

>> No.1513087

I'm starting with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

It's fucking incredible so far. I'm 3 chapters in.

>> No.1513093

>>1513078
Thanks! Those links are already incredibly helpful

>> No.1513148

>>1513074
Sir without having blindly chosen and read Ulysses I would not be the aspiring student of letters that I am today. I did not understand all the literary references, but those I looked up. I did not know all the religious words because I was raised Presbyterian not Catholic, and the parts I understood contained the human soul resembled in the formal experimentation of modernist literary devices. I re-read it after having researched into his autobiography, the literary references, etc., but it was not as enjoyable the second time reading it. Let's believe that any good writer will both explain concepts subtly within the text employing context and that the writer will also use common knowledge as a springboard. I frequently win awards, gain acceptance, and I am recognized as being a well-rounded individual. I learned that wellroundedness was in Joyce's intentions in describing Leopold Bloom, the hero of the story, after having read the novel. Before I learned that however, the character was already transmuted within me. I have become a polyglot and a student of letters, as well as a humble Joycean who lurks society (both the physical artistic community and this purgatory) to right the wrongs made out in his name when no other Joycean would, for the comments that are beyond discriminating his unearthed, unorthodox sex life or the illegibility of his works. Rather, I find peace in discussion the implications of the concept of time within the modern novel made by his oeuvre, plot, character, themes, style. Please, stop reading this and go read Ulysses now.

>> No.1513233

>>1513148
This post reaffirms my belief that /lit/ is the most intellectual board on 4chan.

Thank you.

>> No.1513241

>>1513148
Can't man, it's BHM, which means only Afro American lit this month.

>> No.1513249

I can understand when people say that Ulysses had such a big yes effect on them I mean I read it years ago for a yes assignment and did and essay on it and quickly yes forgot about it entirely I can understand when people say it yes had some yes subconscious effect yes on yes yes them Yes.

>> No.1513257

>>1513087
Only Samuel Beckett's novels proved to be more fun than that damn thing.