[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 179 KB, 2500x1200, aliens-smell-1574631212.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15106648 No.15106648[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why are midwits so married to the idea of aliens existing?

Every pseud I've ever met seems almost offended when I tell them I don't believe in aliens.

>> No.15106667

The same reason so many people believe in christianity, mental illness.

>> No.15106680

>>15106648

It seems likely to me that they do, and also much cooler. Cool PLUS likely = why wouldn't you believe in them?

It's also possible that alien life has existed at some point but doesn't any more. That's more likely than that it never did. But it's still a foolish belief compared with the belief that there are millions of intelligent alien civilizations out there.

Aliens FTW!

>> No.15106707

>>15106648
Easy, the chance that life outside earth exists is more probable than thinking we're all alone in the universe

>> No.15106714

>>15106680
Because there's zero evidence, it's the same reason I don't believe in god. That's also be cool and seems like it would explain a lot, still no evidence.

It's also possible that Earth is the first planet to have life in the universe and so far there's no evidence to the contrary, thus that seems like the most credible idea.

>> No.15106736

Read Jacques Vallee.

>> No.15106737

>>15106648
think for a second about the insanity of believing we're literally the first instance of life anywhere in the entire expanse of the universe. life was PLACED on earth anyway, it wasn't just generated out of thin air. even in the possibility of life being somehow created by the conditions on the surface of the earth; do you not think that these conditions have any possibility of happening anywhere else in any of the many universes that exist in space?

i feel like not believing in alien life is simply a combination of misunderstanding of the sheer size of space itself and how statistics works. there's only so many elements and so many unique combinations of them, whereas there's a fuckton of space. earth like planets exist elsewhere.

>> No.15106747

>>15106648
There are too many unexplained coincidences for aliens to not be real. I myself saw a UFO when I was 12 yrs. old so don't give me this shit about extraterrestrials being fake.

>> No.15106765

>>15106680
If you are trying to pose as midwit you are entirely successful. Well done anon.

>> No.15106767

>>15106714
That's false though. There are organisms in crystalized water on Mars for example. Earth is the only one with complex life.

>> No.15106782

>>15106648
wrong board anon

>> No.15106784

>>15106714
>Because there's zero evidence, it's the same reason I don't believe in god

although it seems similar in argument, it's really not. the existence of a god would imply an entirely new series of planes of existence. we already have life on earth. the evidence for there being life on other planets is that statistically it's far more likely that we're one of many other instances than "oh this was a fluke and there's absolutely no way possible for this to ever happen again". it's like saying if you had a machine that randomly generated strings of letters there would be only one instance of an English word occurring and that's it. look up the fermi paradox.

>> No.15106841

>>15106784
im pretty sure OP is trolling us, or he wants us to write his school assignment for him, which we are doing by playing devils advocate for him. Don't fall for the trick

>> No.15106874

I believe aliens are out there and I also understand there are hard limits to technology and computing that makes it such that all of us are stuck on our respective planets forever.

>> No.15107004

>>15106648
What can the extraterrestrial represent to the modern man but the Wholly Other? There is nothing that annoys our contemporaries more than the familiar, the commonplace. Already we have seen the estrogenic reaction to the Other, that is, to the Alien. Society is divided between those who reject the foreigner and those who seek to protect him. The latter collects behind the outsider and builds up an opposition to what is native, just as a bitter housewife colludes against her husband, preempting his conquest by a stronger rival. If they find themselves betrayed by the outsider, their reaction will not be the rational one, as their old countrymen might hope, but instead, only hysteria can ensue. No hoped for reunification in opposition to the outsider will occur within the homeland. This reveals that the one fascinated by the exotic is already somewhat crazed, as we see with the somewhat frantic and often incoherent matter of "belief" in extraterrestrials and so forth. Why belief? Of course this is in fact some quivering energy, some vast reserve of wild enthusiasm in store for the moment when extraterrestrials are discovered (this energy having nothing to do with extraterrestrials, mark you). Just imagine it. Now consider the strange contradiction here: the prevalence of the scientist, or the science enthusiast--what can be more unscientific than wonder, than awe, than astonishment? The scientist already proceeds according to the rule that there is a mundane, perfectly causal explanation for everything. There is in theory no room for astonishment in the scientist. Hence the archetype of the mad scientist--for it was never true that science had dispelled the enchantment that still lies over the mysterious past. This great spell was only trivialized, mocked. But the haughty disdain of the moderner fell feebly against the magic aura of antiquity. The reductionists and empiricists themselves were mocked--their mocking became itself the object of ridicule, only this time the ridicule was effective, since the positivist threw his spears from the outside, as it were, and his was a pretended siege. The empiricist was in fact the true outsider, as though a castaway from history itself, from the past, unable to penetrate the mysteries of a higher order. He rejected them, but did not understand them.

Therefore, the Alien still represents this impenetrable past, this virile potency--the moderner is still homeless, no master of this world. Therefore he is as amazed at the Numinous as the old savage, thrusting his arms to heaven before the ritual fire, ready to make aliens into gods.

>> No.15107202

>>15106648
It's hard for them to grasp how complex multicellular organisms are compared to even the vastness of a galaxy.
There are more bacteria in your backyard than there are stars in the Milky Way. As far as we know, a bacterium developed mitochondria on exactly one occasion, and every eukaryotic cell shares that one ancestor. Over billions of years, the basis of complex life emerged exactly once.

>> No.15107214
File: 88 KB, 666x560, holytrinity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15106648
>billions of galaxies with billions of stars only for me
because you are being irrational

>> No.15107243

>>15106714
There's no specific evidence, but you can't deny there's a lot of general evidence. The universe is big, there are many galaxies, in which there are many systems. In our local area of space we've found plenty of exoplanets, and even in our own system there may be places where conditions could be right for some form of rudimentary life (chemosynthesizing organisms in Europa's oceans, perhaps).

Though, if we were to find primitive life - especially in our own system, the implication would be that we are completely fucked.

>> No.15107266

>>15106767
source please not being a fag i want to read this article

>> No.15107268

Its likely that life exists somewhere outside of earth, its just unlikely we will ever have contact with them

>> No.15107272

>>15106737
>life was PLACED on earth anyway
Prove it.

>> No.15107284

>>15107266
there is no source he's pulling shit out of his ass