[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 110 KB, 1200x800, 5042.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15055280 No.15055280 [Reply] [Original]

>feel excited about something when i'm writing it
>finish it
>cringe reading it back
>wonder if i'll become a laughing stock if i put it out there
>delete it

>> No.15055293

I blame the internet for ‘irony poisoning’. Any attempt at sincerity will always be viciously mocked.

>> No.15055298

>>15055280
Do not delete it.
Save it.

>> No.15055376

>>15055280
Rich to assume people would read it, anon.

>> No.15055516

First you gotta ask yourself if you're writing because you actually love to write and have something to say, or if you're looking to impress people. Then if that answer isn't so black and white, you need to ask yourself the same thing I used to ask myself when I had social anxiety - who am I trying to impress? And if I don't like someone, why would I care about their opinion?

But most importantly of all, a wiser man once taught me something that really stuck with me - don't compare yourself to the entirety of literature. Or to the entirety of whatever style/culture/niche etc. you're writing for. If you feel you can write better than the majority of the people in your city, or style, or subculture, then focus on being the best at that, at least foremost.

Also try not to be too harsh on yourself. Remember, there are dedicated fandoms out there for fuckin fanfics. Don't let it make you complacent and write poorly, but the very fact you can criticize your own work means you're most likely better than average, and if you're confident your finished product is the best you can do, I guarantee you'll find at least a small audience for it - if you can advertise it well enough too.

Never delete anything you felt passionate about when first writing - that means you know you had something there. You just have to leave it, go on to something else, and come back to it later, to separate the gold from the rest. Then repeat that process until you have something that - especially reading from a perspective that it's *not* your own work - you could imagine in a finished published product.

>>15055293

THIS is definitely a major contributing factor too.

>> No.15055549

>>15055280
if you become a laughing stock at least you'd be more than nothing