[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 184 KB, 800x534, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15024218 No.15024218 [Reply] [Original]

I am going to tutor an older person who is interested in Philosophy. He is a complete beginner, doesn't know anything but is curious and wants to learn something new.

What texts shall I use? I will give a lesson every week, and I want to start with the Greeks. I think we can do weekly readings of about 40 pages. I have my readings for Plato sorted out already.

Basically it is more important to have fun with philosophy and learn something in the meantime than to be a completionist.

>> No.15024223

>>15024218
Watch out, here comes the guenonfags

>> No.15024240

>>15024223
I will stick to the classics don't worry

>> No.15024252
File: 104 KB, 672x672, 1583661432927.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are you just asking for texts after Plato? I guess i'll just add that it's easy to get bogged down in exegesis and descriptive explanation when going over historical texts, but these aren't terribly conducive to actual philosophizing. It's important to seize on the point being made and discuss the merits and implications of that, rather than what is the correct or incorrect reading.
actually, what is your background with philsophy? some of your comments are a little strange.

>> No.15024272

>>15024252
I have a bachelor degree in Philosophy and I am now doing a master program on Japanese Philosophy.

What was strange? I want to do philosophy readings with him but having fun is more important than learning everything. For example I think it is better to do Plato for two weeks then move on even though we didn't read everything important, instead of reading Plato for two months.

>> No.15024335
File: 84 KB, 700x700, 1585739156468.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15024272
I guess i found some of the comments about 'wanting to start with the greeks' and asking about what texts to use strange in the context of being able to teach it. But don't mind me, it's probably just my intuition misfiring.
I assume it's going to be a fairly casual thing so stuff like formal logic isn't really important. There are plenty of important works (or important parts of works) of philosophy which fall into to 40 page range. The first two parts of meditations of first philosophy by Descartes, Hume's critique of causality from the Enquiry, Leibniz's Discourse on Metaphysics, Important parts of Kant's Groundwork and Mill's Utilitarianism. But i think that the texts you end up picking should be taloired to which areas of philosophy he is interested in. Some people just don't care about epistemology or find metaphysics too difficult, and others might find ethics boring. If it's just for fun, then that's the way to go.
What dialogues do you have picked out? even if you move on after 2, Plato is a good well to dip back into for discussing some basic ideas.

>> No.15024418

>>15024335
For Plato I chose Apology, Crito, Symposium, and parts of the Republic.

I did choose the same texts for Descartes, Hume and Mill. The suggestions for Kant and Leibniz are good and I will probably use them, thank you.

>> No.15024488

>>15024218
Rousseau's second discourse on the origins of inequality maybe?