[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.04 MB, 1920x2829, chang-xiao-asset.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15023613 No.15023613 [Reply] [Original]

We're told to "start with the Greeks" in our culture. Ok. But what were the Greeks told to start with??

>> No.15023616

>>15023613
the jews

>> No.15023627
File: 138 KB, 616x600, 616px-Kiss_Briseis_Painter_Louvre_G278_full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>the dog of egypt, my ἐρώμενος, start with the pharaohs.

>> No.15023643

>>15023613
how did the artist make a nice drawing like that, but fail to realize they'd spelled "truth" as "turth?"

>> No.15023647

>>15023613
Greeks are at the top of the chain.

>> No.15023663

>>15023613
They started with things that are now lost.

>> No.15024484

Egyptians, Orpheus

>> No.15024493

>>15023663
Hermes Trimegistus

>> No.15024540
File: 582 KB, 1428x1696, implying implications.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Egyptian lore

>> No.15024550

>>15023613
The Atlantians

>> No.15024560
File: 897 KB, 2220x2792, hohhoho.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15024540
>>15023613
>>15023627
>>15024484
Then, with a weeping countenance, I made this prayer to the powerful Goddess, saying:
O blessed Queen of heaven! Are you the Lady Ceres, the original and motherly nurse of all fruitful things on earth, who inhabits the land of Eleusis? Are you she who, after finding your daughter Proserpina, conceived such great joy that barren and unfruitful ground was made fruitful again? Or are you the celestial Venus, sister to the God Phoebus, now worshiped within the Temples of the Isle of Paphos and the sacred places of Ephesus? Venus, who in the beginning of the world coupled together all kinds of things with an engendered love, by an eternal propagation of humankind? Venus, who nourishes so many people by the generation of beasts? Ahh...in light of the deadly howlings you are displaying, it is clear that you are the dreaded Proserpina! You have the power to stop and put away the invasion of the hags and ghosts that appear unto humans, and to keep them down in the closures of the earth.You, who are diversely worshiped, you who illuminate all the borders of the earth by your feminine shape! You, nourishing all the fruits of the world by your vigor and force! With whatever name or fashion it is lawful to call upon you, I pray you, please end my great travail and misery, and deliver me from the wretched fortune that has pursued me for so long.Grant peace and rest from my adversities, if it pleases you, as I have endured too much labor and peril. Please remove from me my shape of an ass, and return me to my pristine estate. And if I have offended in any point of divine majesty, let me die rather than live, for I am fully weary of my life.

>> No.15024572
File: 131 KB, 809x975, hermes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15024560
Behold Lucius I am come; your weeping and prayers have moved me to provide solace to you. I am she who is the natural mother of all things, mistress and governess of all the elements, the initial progeny of worlds, chief of powers divine, Queen of heaven! I am the principal of the celestial Gods, the light of the goddesses. At my will, the planets of the air, the wholesome winds of the seas, and the silences of hell are disposed. My name, my divinity is adored throughout the world in diverse ways, through various customs and under many names.The Phrygians call me the Mother of the Gods; the Athenians, Minerva; the Cyprians, Venus; the Candians, Diana; the Sicilians, Proserpina; the Eleusians, Ceres. Some Juno, others Bellona, others Hecate. And principally, the Ethiopians in the East, and the Egyptians who are excellent in all manner of ancient doctrine and who worship me by their proper ceremonies and customs, call me Queen Isis.
Behold, I am here to take pity of your fortune and tribulation; I am present to favor and aid you. Leave behind your weeping and lamentation and put away all your sorrow. Rather, look upon the healthful day that is ordained by my providence, and therefore be ready to attend to my commandment.

>> No.15024579
File: 157 KB, 750x749, 66283952_1151849795012356_6391562332726919008_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15024572
The day following tonight is dedicated to my service, by an eternal religion. After the tempests of the sea have ceased, my priests and ministers customarily offer in my name a new ship as a first fruit of my navigation. I command you not to profane or despise the sacrifice in any way. Tomorrow the High Priest, following in procession under my divine guidance, shall carry a garland of roses next to the timbrel in his right hand. Follow my procession among the people, and when you come to the priest, make as though you would kiss his hand, but instead snatch at the roses. When this is done, I will rid you of the skin and shape of an ass, a kind of beast I have long time abhorred and despised. Above all, beware and do not doubt me or have any fear, even as difficult as it may seem for these events to be brought to pass. Because in the same hour that I have come to you, I have also commanded the Priest a vision of what he shall do, and all the people by my commandment shall be compelled to give you place and to say nothing! Furthermore, do not worry about whether any person shall abhor your ill-favored and deformed figure, as you will be among so fair and joyful ceremonies and in such good company that this will not be cause for concern. Nor would anyone in attendance be so foolhardy as to blame and reprove your sudden restoration to human shape, lest in doing so they should gather or conceive any sinister opinion. Also know this for sure: that the rest of your life until the hour of death shall be bound and subject to me!

>> No.15024597
File: 618 KB, 1027x1600, ananke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15024579
And do not regard it as an injury to be always in my service, since it is by my countenance and benefit that ou will become a human. You will live blessed in this world, and you will live gloriously by my guidance and protection. When you descend to Hades, that subterranean place where you will see me shining (as you see me now) in the darkness of Acheron, and reigning in the deep profundity of Styx, you will worship me as one who has been favorable to you. And if I perceive that you are obedient to my commandment, adhere to my religion, and merit my divine grace, then know that I will prolong your days above and beyond the time that the fates have appointed and the celestial planets ordained.