[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 132 KB, 1176x1125, 888b75b9e7ede5b86895a8a4c7e2a888.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15007487 No.15007487 [Reply] [Original]

>Religion is a memeplex built around a central delusion, the God meme—an entirely unsubstantiated proposition. Religion exists because this memeplex is adaptive. This explanation is both necessary and sufficient. It is also parsimonious, à la Occam’s razor. It may not be simple, but it’s a heck of a lot simpler than “God.”
In Darwinian terms, Professor Dawkins’ main point is that the adaptive interests of religion—or of any other memeplex—are not necessarily the same as the adaptive interests of its host. As a celibate priest, for example, you are helping Christianity to be fruitful and multiply. It’s performing no such service for you.
Biologists have a word for this: parasitism.

>There is only one sane and healthy relation to Christianity; perfect indifference. Mine is not of that kind. My detestation for the Christian faith exhaustst my being, and more. I long for its God to exist, in order to slake myself as violence upon him. If there are torments coming to me, I want them; all of them; God experimenting in cruelty upon me. I want no lethargy in Hell, rather vigour and imagination. Oh yes, it is all very wretched, and if I am grateful to Christianity it is for one thing alone; it has tought me how to HATE.
I have not been a theist for a single second of my life. In my first assemblies at primary school, when the theist idiocy was first wheeled out, I remember thinking: it is natural that adults should lie to you, but is it really necessary for them to insult the intelligence quite this much? As for the longing to believe, nothing could be more alien to me, because nothing is more obvious than the fact that humanity--far from being a creation-- is a disease. Why should the absence of a divinity analogical to mankind be more disturbing than the absence of a giant tortoise supporting the world on its back?

What did they mean by this?

>> No.15007550
File: 143 KB, 1024x819, 45433034084_2febe0102c_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Only one enemy remained; two if you counted the goyim.

>> No.15007759

>>15007487
sounds reddit to me

>> No.15007828
File: 136 KB, 402x234, themafia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15007487
> It’s performing no such service for you.
Biologists have a word for this: parasitism.
So what? Why should I place my "self-interests" above a possibly fake religion's interests if that religion IS my interest? It's like saying a building is parasitic to the workers building on it because they have to work to construct it; granted, they do receive money. Similarly, a Christian receives at least some peace of heart or purpose in life. You could argue that the benefits of believing in God don't measure up to the burdens, but that's subjective anyway.

>in my first assemblies at primary school, when the theist idiocy was first wheeled out
This guy must be a fossil. Schools today teach evolutionism and evolutionism only.

>> No.15008060

>>15007828
In UK primary school we sang hymns and had assemblies with local priests and so on. Not so far fetched to think Nick had the same experience back then