[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 239 KB, 1400x2101, 71Esw5QAmOL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14998966 No.14998966 [Reply] [Original]

I've read Gravity's Rainbow and liked it, but this is just too much for me. It's way too hard to read that it just ends up being a chore. I also feel like it requires a lot more historical knowledge beforehand than any of Pynchon's other books.

>> No.14999031

It has a talking dog my nigga.

>> No.14999122

>>14998966
INTERESTING. IM ABOUT 360 OR 365 PAGES INTO THIS BOOK AND IM REALLY ENJOYING IT. TO ME PYNCHON IS LIKE CANDY, NOT REALLY DEALING WITH ANY HUGE IDEAS OF MAJOR PHILOSOPHICKAL IMPORT, MOSTLY JUST FUN AND GAMES. NOT IN A BAD WAY, IN LIKE A GOLDEN AGE SIMPSONS SORT OF WAY. MASON & DIXON SEEMS TO BE ABOUT MANY THINGS INCLUDING A GLOBAL CONSPIRACY OF CAPITALIST ENTERPRISE FOUNDED ON AUTOCHTHONOUS BLOOD (CF ESPECIALLY PARALLELS DRAWN BETWEEN CAPE COLONISTS AND THOSE AMERICANS PUSHING FARTHER WEST -- THE CONNECTION IS MADE ALMOST EXPLICIT WHEN MD GO TO VISIT THE SITE OF AN INDIAN MASSACRE IN LANCASTER (?)). IT'S ALSO ABOUT WRITING HISTORY, AUTHORITY (AUTHOR-ALITY) TO A LESSER AND LESS INTERESTING EXTENT. IDK. IT AINT THAT DEEP BUT IT IS LONG. IT'S FUN. PROBABLY WILL READ AGAINST THE DAY AFTER THIS AND BE DONE WITH PYNCHON. IN TERMS OF HISTORICAL KNOWLEDGE U NEED TO KNOW TO APPRECIATE IT, SOME BASIC COLONIAL AMERICAN STUFF IS RELEVANT OBV BUT DOES NOT KNOWING IT REALLY HINDER YOUR READING EXPERIENCE? METHINKS NOT. WE ALL KNOW BEN FRANKLIN DISCOVERED ELECTRICTY AND INVENTED BIFOCALS. THATS THE FOUNDATION FOR ALL THE BEN FRANKLIN JOKES. THERES ALSO A SCENE WHERE MD SMOKE WEED WITH GEORGE WASHINGTON, THIS BEING FOUNDED ON THE HISTORICAL ANECDOTE THAT WASHINGTON GREW HEMP. I LIKE PYNCHON BUT PERSONALLY DONT GET THE HYPE. HE WRITES WELL ENOUGH AND THERE ARE MOMENTS NOTABLE FOR THEIR TENDERNESS AS WELL AS FOR BEING PARTICULARLY DEVASTATING IN ALL I'VE READ BY HIM (V, gr, VINELAND, NOW THIS) BUT HE'S NOT AN EPIC-WRITER (AS IN THE ILLIAD WHERE ACHILLES IS A SAYER OF GREAT WORDS AND DOER OF GREAT DEEDS). YES HES NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. HES DOUBLE BLACK DIAMOND LEVEL DIFFICULTY BUT NOT EARTH SHATTERING IN HIS IMPORT METHINKS. THATS NOT A DISS BTW. ERUDITE WHILE NOT DIVINE. HE'S ONE OF THE FEW CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS TO RESPECT LITERATURE AS A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT WITHOUT BEING A RETARD

>> No.14999169 [DELETED] 

>>14999076
With closing whatever book you bought from this child molester and reading something from a better author

>> No.14999180

>>14999122
Sir, this is a Burger King

>> No.14999198 [DELETED] 

May Allah (swt) send this Alluwtiu ( اللوطي ) to Aljahim (الجحيم) where he may pay for his Khatiya ( خطيئة )

>> No.14999207 [DELETED] 

>>14999076
I’ve heard “Queer” and “Junky” are the go to starting points for Burroughs. They’re very characteristic of him without being the absolute mindboggle of “Naked Lunch”

>> No.14999212 [DELETED] 
File: 116 KB, 600x404, burroughs_upwithyourhands-600x404.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Queer or Junky
then Naked Lunch
if you still want more at this point pick up the Nova Trilogy where he gets into cut ups

>> No.14999331

>>14998966
Really? After you get used to the style, which should take 20 to 30 pages if you've gotta little experience, and especially if you liked GR, I'd say it's an easier read. The plot is more straightforward, and the chapter ends are convenient. But this has BEEN SAID ON LIT A FEW TIMES ALREADY SO IT'S TIME TO JUMP INTO THE FIRE BROS DOUBLE DUTCH TIME COME ON WHO'S WITH ME BESIDES THE GUY ABOVE AND EXCLUDING THE GUY BELOW him BUT POTENTIALLY (PHYSICS) NOT BECAUSE HE IS PLAYING INTO THE JOKE IMPROVISATIONAL STYLE AND NOT WRITING HIM OFF ENTIRELY.