[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 348 KB, 1050x700, frustrated_writer_1050x700.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14982247 No.14982247 [Reply] [Original]

Who are some good essayists I could read?

>> No.14982269

>>14982247
Montaigne will keep you busy for months at least even if you read an essay or two a day. He's generally considered one of the greatest essayists in history. I have the Everyman's Library collection of his works which are superb. You will sometimes disagree with him, often agree with him, and many times will look at something in the world with fresh eyes, in a newly appreciative, critical way.

If you are more inclined to poetry, Ricks' Force of Poetry and Essays in Appreciation are excellent collections of Literary Criticism. If you find you enjoy literary criticism and wish to gain more of a grounding in the subject, Literary Theory: An Introduction by Eagleton is a superb starting point.

If you have more of a hunger for essays on the subjects of creative writing and contemporary literature, I have heard good things about T.S.Eliot, Woolf and Greene.

>> No.14982428

>>14982247
What about diaries?
'This Business of Life' by Cesare Pavese for example

>> No.14982451

>>14982428
Sure, any more that you could recommend?

>> No.14982471

>>14982269
I second Eagleton. It's an amazing introduction. I actually found myself laughing out loud at several points while reading it.

>> No.14982476

>>14982451
Andrei Tarkovsky's diaries 'Time within Time'
Also, read Schopenhauer. Maybe just his essays and aphorisms if you don't want the very heavy philosophy

>> No.14982568

>>14982247
>the essay pill:
Matthew Arnold
W.H. Auden
Francis Bacon
Walter Benjamin
Ambrose Bierce
Jorge Luis Borges
Albert Camus
Thomas Carlyle
Thomas De Quincey