[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 700x312, darcytimesmall.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1497796 No.1497796 [Reply] [Original]

To truly enjoy and appreciate some books do you need to reach a certain level of understanding or a certain amount of books you've read?

I remember trying to reach a bunch of books at age 17 that struggled with and moments in books I couldn't get past (that book within 1984 they spend a while reading for example). However, now, since reading quite a bit more I find them quite easy to understand and enjoy.

I ask because both the Great Gatsby and Dubliners did nothing for me and I was bored through both (less so with Great Gatsby) and I'm wondering whether it is because I haven't read enough and coming back to them, I may appreciate them.

>> No.1497809

It depends why you are reading, if you are reading for entertainment (as you seem to be), then these things don't matter.
If you are reading for other reasons, then you will only get out of a book what you put in, you should bring comprehension skills and general knowledge.
For example, you might read Ulysses purely for entertainment, or you might read Ulysses to see what's special about it, you should be able to recognise techniques and themes and what the author is doing if you want to gain deeper understanding. I'm not saying that reading purely for entertainment is worse though, it will just be harder to appreciate the things that are highly acclaimed for their depth.

>> No.1497867

>>1497809

Well I am doing it for several reasons

Entertainment of course, to improve my own writing skills and also to learn and appreciate the novel fully.

I was just asking that by continuing to read widely, will I find books I once found challenging much easier to read?