[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-11: Warosu is now out of maintenance. Become a Patron!

/lit/ - Literature

View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 41 KB, 438x669, Solipsism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14953948 No.14953948 [Reply] [Original]

Philosophy has interested me lately, it does well explaning existence and society. Solipsism is the most interesting thing I've read. Any book on solipsism?
Note: I don't believe on it, just interested on hearing views and thoughts about it.
Bonus: Great known philosophers talking about solipsism is a must-to read in my mind, so send books that are created by those great minds and talks about Solipsism.

>> No.14953982

Double Bonus: Same thing as bonus but it also connects free will to solipsism.

>> No.14954746

>>14953948
https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book/maha-prajnaparamita-sastra

>> No.14955124
File: 24 KB, 465x594, 17854.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>As against solipsism, it is to be said, in the first place, that it is psychologically impossible to believe, and is rejected in fact even by those who mean to accept it. I once received a letter from an eminent logician, Mrs. Christine Ladd-Franklin, saying that she was a solipsist, and was surprised that there were no others. Coming from a logician, this surprised me. The fact that I cannot believe something does not prove that it is false, but it does prove that I am insincere and frivolous if I pretend to believe it.

>> No.14955162

>>14953948
Sartre’s ‘On Being and Nothingness’ has an entire chapter on it. Also wasn’t Bishop Berkeley’s philosophy basically some kind of Christian solipsism alá PKD except several centuries earlier?

>> No.14955210

>>14955124
Another interesting criticism of solipsism from an analytic perspective is that we are born into language as a given and do not create it? How did we create languages including ones we didn't know prior to coming into the world if we are all that exists?
>>14955162
Good answers. Berkeley is not truly solipsistic, however, more like the Matrix. And I think the PKD reference is forced. Sartre is underrated tho. And Inthink Heidegger's Dasein is almost solipsistic in ways as well.
>>14953948
To answer your question, I would suggest Dream, Death and the Self. An obscure work but incredibly enlightening.

>> No.14955240

>>14955210
Thanks for the reply, interesting. Isn’t Hume considered to be a solipsist as well?

>> No.14955256

>>14955240
Not really, no

>> No.14956591

What's the difference between solipsism and nondualism?

>> No.14956599

>>14956591
Solipsism affirms the ego and nondualism affirms the non-ego.

>> No.14956608

>>14956599
So nondualism dismisses the ego? But how?

>> No.14957231

>>14953948
Someone already mentioned Valberg's Dream, Death and the Self (glad my years of shilling are finally paying off), which deals with an extremely subtle form of solipsism, the "truth" of which comes about as a consequence of thinking through problems relating to the presence of experience, and the fact of death. Beyond that, there are a number of works that try to grapple with this problem:

Tractatus Logico Philosophicus - Wittgenstein (the solipsism he discusses is best characterized not by "i am alone in the world" but “I have a point of view on the world which is without neighbours". This is important for Valberg's later discussion. Pay attention to what Wittgenstein says about death and time as well.)

On Myself and Other, Less Important Subjects - Caspar Hare (a formalization and explication of whatever property might be involved in granting experience a "first-person presence" and why this property is at once sui generis and ubiquitous and how this seeming contradiction can only lead to the form of solipsism discussed above).

Surviving Death - Mark Johnson (probably the only sustained philosophical discussion and response to Valberg's work that I've seen. Approaches the problem from a religious perspective, at least at first, but there are long sections of the book that try to work through what it means to be at "THE center of the world" and for "your" death to be "THE" death, and whether this is all contingent or necessary).

On Relativity Theory and the Openness of the Future - Howard Stein (somewhat different from the rest, but approaches the problem of solipsism from certain considerations pertaining to the philosophy of physics and special relaivity. Questions the fatalistic interpretation inherent in "block universe" models of time and instead posits a "point-presentism" in which anything outside of "your" light cone is non-existent, which entails a pluralistic form of solipsism not too different from that described above).

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action