[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 731 KB, 1000x1250, 8E3OMFgxwJfbiIAWcyMNjClPjsO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14943643 No.14943643 [Reply] [Original]

How do I know whether I'm over analysing the meaning of a book?

>> No.14943650

Who cares? The book means to you what the book means to you. Discuss it with others. Maybe some feel the same.

>> No.14943657

Overanalyzation is an invention of insecure plebs

>> No.14943659

>>14943643
im gonna take a wild guess by saying you're making an entire post about it so you're probably over analyzing it

>> No.14943664

>>14943643
when your interpretation doesn't survive contact with re-reading the book

>> No.14943675

Even if the author didn't intend something, the writing can manifest their unconscious thought, societal biases, etc. And you can use it as a framework for understanding other ideas. I don't know when it would be appropriate to talk about over analysing something unless your just giving more credit to the author than they're worth

>> No.14943684
File: 228 KB, 720x720, fly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14943643
>How do I know whether I'm over analysing the meaning of a book?
When your interpretation is contrived and not reasonably supported by the text it's pulling from.
>But when does that happen?
Debatable. Somewhere between saying the white whale represents nature and saying it represents the struggle of South American transgenders. Conscious and unconscious forces are at work in the writer. There's a lot of wiggle room.
>That's not very helpful.
If you want to read a 100% objective text with a precise number of possible interpretations, go read your oven's instruction manual.

>> No.14943966

You're always overanalyzing stuff as long as you're in the /lit/ board. Sometimes books are just written to be entertained and there's no further meaning, but thinking like that is not so fun, is it?

Just go with the things that make you happy, anon.

>> No.14944013
File: 46 KB, 365x432, dickbutt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14943966
>Sometimes books are just written to be entertained and there's no further meaning
That's literally impossible. At the very least, narratives are inherently demonstrative of value systems.
>Just go with the things that make you happy, anon.
I mean, that's not bad for casual advice, but lying back and declining to delve deeper into a book doesn't make the potential for meaning go away.

>> No.14944017

>>14943643
If its too big to fit up your butt, don't put it up inside your butt

>> No.14944145

>>14944013
> That's literally impossible. At the very least, narratives are inherently demonstrative of value systems.
Do you think a joke is meant to be analyzed or simply enjoyed? It's the same for books. I am not saying every author works this way, but you know how it's done.
> I mean, that's not bad for casual advice, but lying back and declining to delve deeper into a book doesn't make the potential for meaning go away.
Sure, if there's a meaning in everything and you get fun from it, just search for it.

>> No.14944161

>>14944145
>Do you think a joke is meant to be analyzed or simply enjoyed? It's the same for books. I am not saying every author works this way, but you know how it's done.
Whether the artist knows it or not, they always plant a little bit of themselves in everything they make. Analysis will always be fruitful

>> No.14944246

>>14944145
>What is long and hard and as cum in it?
>A cucumber.
I hit up an random joke generator and that was the first thing that I got. If you really want to delve into it, the joke can be analyzed in the sense that it's expressive of society's relationship with sex and the male sex organ. Why is misleading someone about cum assumed to be funny? Why is it a cucumber? Would it be funnier if the punchline had a less phallic object? Probably not. What does that mean? Is this expressive of society's sexism or some dumb bullshit? Obviously this is ridiculous, but it's virtually impossible to strip a pile of words of all substance. That's all I'm saying. You are never going to encounter something that can't be analyzed and interpreted, whether or not the author wants you to.

>> No.14944327

Overanalyzing or rather attributing to works meanings that are highly personal biased and specific is the best source of inspiration
Many of the poems I write are straight from weird interpretations or thoughts I have regarding something else I consumed

>> No.14944367

Good authors only guide your mind in the right direction, which is the case with Moby Dick. There's no overanalyzation.

>> No.14944499

>>14943643
As long as you have correlated the whole and the part, there shouldn't be any problem.