[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 300x100, 100.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14889046 No.14889046 [Reply] [Original]

The man grabbed at my cloak, "please," he implored, his face wet with water, "please.. you must touch my bell," and he held aloft a small copper bell.

I tore my cloak from his hand, "peasant, get thee away with all frivolity and pomp."

He bit the edge of his hand and began whimpering, he fell to his knees, tears followed, "you don't understand," he said, "it is not pomp nor frivolity but life itself.."

"Paltry accolades?" I barked, bulging my eyes incredulously to shame him, I snorted at his expression and turned to leave.

"NO THEY WILL KILL ME!" he shouted.

I had only taken one step, I did not take another.

I turned back, "who will kill you?" I asked in softer tones.

The man made another whimpering noise, "I cannot say," the words fell from his lips.

I raised my cane as if to strike him.

The man whimpered again, "the priests..." he said, "the censors..." he said, "the controllers of our very tubes!" and he pointed to his stomach.

There was a clank as the metal end of my cane returned to the stone tiling at my feet.

"The controllers of your tubes?" I did not understand what this meant, "and," I looked around, "they will kill you unless I wrap upon your copper bell?"

The man, now prostrate completely, whimpered in confirmation, "it- it is a mark to show that you were pleased and did like unto my person in- in approval of my conduct unto all," he sputtered and stuttered.

"But," said I, "I did not find your performance to be very good."

His head shot upward to meet my gaze, his now fierce and angry, "you lie!" he seethed through clenched teeth, "I saw you laugh," he hissed.

I sighed in disgust, "no, sir, I was laughing 'at' you, not 'with' you, your performance.. the juggling of herrings was so pathetic and sad I could not help but laugh at you, and then in displeasure for the performances of Dryden and such which are surely abused in the grave by such humdrummery."

"But you still laughed," he hissed.

I made a louder noise in disgust and sucked at my teeth and gazed around to make sure nobody was watching and then I said, "very well, if it be ll so important to you, sir, I will wrap upon your bell even as I do not like your performance in the least, if it spare you from your dread, then raise aloft your copper bell and upon it I shall wrap my knuckle."

Ding.

No sonoer had I done so that I awoke in the gutter, my fine clothes gone, the servants about me replaced with roaring mad men, my pretty wife now a stinking whore, my groin in pain from veneral diseases and a small imp was dancing around going toot toot on a flute. I tried to speak but my cadence was all gone, I asked the imp - as best I could - "what, who, huh?" and the imp grinned,

"Sir," it said, "you proven yourself to be without discernment! Live now with the consequence!"

And I put my hands to my face and cried out - as best I could - "no!"
"And that is my story," I said, offering 'my' copper bell to the fellow before me.
/fin

>> No.14889325

OC on my /lit/? I do like that the narrator didn't actually fail in his discernment of low quality poasting, despite the punishment was said to be given due to that sole fact. But the caving in and accomodating the poor buffoon, AS a poor buffoon, won him damnation

>wrap
just rap

>> No.14889557

>>14889325
pretty sure it's wrap.

could be wrong.

grammatical observation .... parsing ... noted.

>> No.14889585

>>14889046
That was surprisingly good. Would suggest removing the quotes from the last "my."

>> No.14889591

>>14889325
>>14889557

Yes, it should be "rap."

Cf. Poe's Raven -- wouldn't be nearly as spooking if it was "wrapping" evermore

>> No.14889601

>>14889591
*spooky

>> No.14890039

>>14889591
more christmassy though. ha

>>14889585
too kind(!) *offers bell and wrapping paper*

>> No.14890125

>>14889046
How do write something and have it be this interesting? I feel like my writing doesn’t have enough going on.

>> No.14890459

>>14890125
:)

Well one of my big inspirations is Harlan Ellison, his visceral but short style always struck a cord with me, I'm learning from him.
OP

>> No.14890464

>>14890125
check out... uhhmmmmmm..
Laugh Track

"then he said. THEN he said."