[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 640x640, 42C4139C-9DC6-4650-B456-B70B980CFE1E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14873828 No.14873828[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Nobody has been able to refute this argument

>> No.14873836

>>14873828
http://www.bible-codes.org/Names-Bible-Prophecy-Code.htm

https://jewsforjesus.org/answers/top-40-most-helpful-messianic-prophecies/

There are “infinite” religions, but the unthinking atheist assumes that they’re all equally probable. As if extinct religions, unknown religions, unprophesied religions, can be as probable as Christianity. Good Christians are good Buddhists, good Hindus, etc. Even the Quran says that there are Christians in heaven (2:62). But Jesus says “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one may come to the Father except through me.” The practical conclusion is to be a Christian. Why is Jesus the way? Because no one is good. Everyone sins. What arbitrary distinction is there between good and bad people in those religions that emphasize good works? The only threshold that makes sense is that only perfect people are good. So works alone is not sufficient, as we are all sinners.

Deuteronomy 4:29
>But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Proverbs 8:17
>I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.
Jeremiah 29:13
>You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.
Matthew 7:7-8
>Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
Isaiah 55:6-7
>Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Lamentations 3:25
>The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.
James 4:8
>Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded

>> No.14873842

>>14873828
They all exist, and more, mine is just better.

>> No.14873844

>>14873836
> using bible verses to justify the Bible being real

Nice circular logic retard

>> No.14873852

>>14873828
Gervais literally just admitted that mine is the only real one. What's the problem?

>> No.14873866

>>14873844
the principles, prophecies, perpetuity, practicality and history of the Christian religion prove it to be superior to all other religions.

>> No.14873869

>>14873866
All religions are stupid. It's like saying you have the best wallpaper for a wall that is not there.

>> No.14873883

>>14873844
Prove to me anything is real

>> No.14873885

There have been nearly 3000 scientific hypotheses but only yours is actually true.

>> No.14873889

>>14873869
cope

>> No.14873895

>>14873844
those verses were made by God

>> No.14873903

>>14873869
> All religions are stupid
bravo! The intellectual prowess of the atheist shines yet again

>> No.14873910

>>14873828
There are an infinite amount of possible answers to any math problem, yet only one is really the answer

>> No.14873913

God as both multiplicity and one refutes this along with the knowledge that humans know God more or less clearly. God's infinite nature also refutes this. Knowing that God is a Transcendent personality refutes this. But the majority of both religious and atheist have a great ignorance about God.

>> No.14873928

>>14873836
>P1 There are “infinite” religions, but the unthinking atheist assumes that they’re all equally probable, as if extinct religions, unknown religions, unprophesied religions, can be as probable as Christianity.
>P2 Good Christians are good Buddhists, good Hindus, etc. Even the Quran says that there are Christians in heaven (2:62).
>P3 But Jesus says “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one may come to the Father except through me.”
>C The practical conclusion is to be a Christian.

You didn't actually prove P1. P2 only demonstrates that Christians are considered "good" by other faiths, or that their practices align with their idea of "good", but nothing about probability between those religions. P3 is circular (Jesus is right because Jesus said he was right and Jesus is right because he said he was right and...). The conclusion is unfounded. This isn't logic it's just verbal diarrhea.

>> No.14873949

>>14873828
>my infinite and unknowable God follows from logic and the nature of reality
Based
>my infinite and unknowable God follows from logic and the nature of reality, and also I worship a jew who died 2000 years ago and his mother
Cringe
>im an atheist because I’m too lazy to read any metaphysics or theology
Extremely cringe

>> No.14873954

>>14873828
Gervais is your typical fedora atheist who keeps making the mistake that the word religion exclusively means Christianity. Nothing to see here.

>> No.14873955

All of them are real, but they are parts of the elephant we blind men touch, the one God.

>> No.14873961

>>14873895
Protestants get the gas too when the 10,000 year mini Golden Age within the Kali Yuga comes.

>> No.14873963
File: 140 KB, 768x768, 1512693118693.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873903
>>14873889
It's true though. The bible has some nice teachings, really really nice ones sometimes, but it's basicly thousand year old book from a time people could not read and thus this knowledge, its morals, its message had a great impact in people's lives, giving some common ground for organizing themselves. It's full of prejudice or simply mistranslated and edited things. It was all written by men, it's not the word of God. God does not exist, accept it. There is no guy in the sky, no ultimate will nor anything. At best you can assume there is, but not that men from middle east millennia ago had it all figured out in an universe of trillions of trillions of galaxies that make all of our politics, religion pale in comparisson. We don't know what happends when you die, we don't know why we are here or what to do and there is no one telling us what to do. We are able to get along by convention, by communion, including that made from religion. But all mystical experience is just normal ordinary everyday experience that we translate in some religious sense because that's what we are told when we are kids. If you are born in a muslim country, you'll likely be muslim. If you are born in a christian country, christian. If you are born an eskimo from the 10th century, you'll likely not be a christian or a muslim. The fact that people still have to argue for this is amazing, this insistence in believing in something that is not there is so absurd you guys allow idiots like Gervais and Dawkins to represent atheists when atheism should not even be a position, just like you wouldn't call me a "blue-sky-seer", the sky is blue and God does not exist. You cannot refute this with any book, of fucking course the bible will say it is the only truth and that it is the god's words, every religion sees itself in that way. What amazes me is that you guys don't realize how this very circular paradox is what makes it survive for so long, not because it is really the truth. People are discouraged to question, to challenge it, to understand some might be true and some not, you guys are taught to take it all in, when in fact it was all written by men, great men, extraordinary men even, but from a very long time ago and flawed just like the rest of us. I'm really really sorry, I wish I could say religion is great and god is real, it would be so much better, so easier, I would truly love it, but if I were to say that to you I would be lying, deceiving you, so there is that.

>> No.14873966

>>14873928
>P3 is circular (Jesus is right because Jesus said he was right and Jesus is right because he said he was right and...).
You didn’t understand the implication. If religion A says only those who follow religion A are saved, but religions B-Z allow you to follow religion A, then the practical conclusion is to follow religion A. The prophecies and principle that no man is good (works alone is bunk), which you ignored, are what improve its probability of being true.

>> No.14873970

>>14873963
>We don't know what happends when you die, we don't know why we are here or what to do
And yet you somehow know that God doesn’t exist. Hypocrite

>> No.14873973
File: 377 KB, 500x281, 91efdd1ca7416b76d44a935bc795675f8982058e_hq.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

christians need to be wiped from the face of this earth. every last one.
and everything they ever wrote, too. god i fucking hate them so much.

>> No.14873999

>>14873970
How do you know the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn’t exist

>> No.14874004

>>14873828
So stupid, Gervais isn't even being original here, pretty sure he swiped this from Dawkins or Hitchens.

>> No.14874024

>>14873970
Yes, because it was invented, it's fantasy. We don't know the mystery to the universe, that is precisely why I don't take anyone who has all the answers seriously. God is millenia old meme, it's just a word, I know that people cannot solve this mystery by making things up, that's all. I'm able to read great christian philosophers and take a lot from them, understand where they come from when they speak of God, because I know they had no better way to put it. But the concept in itself can be dismissed.

>> No.14874027

>>14873895
NT is not divine scripture it's just inspired. It's a low quality take of paganism by Hellenistic Jews

>> No.14874040

>>14873883
Lol no reply

>> No.14874041

>>14873836
A baby isn't a sinner. If you commit a crime, your kids shouldn't be the ones punished. It is illogical and unethical. God is not illogical or unethical.

>> No.14874044

>>14873963
All religions are manifestations of the will to life, information encoded into our very DNA. They are glimpses of this will to life, and the more faithful rendition they are of it, the more transcendental wisdom they contain.

Dostoevsky really convinced me in The Grand Inquisitor, with his argument that the three temptations of the devil could only have been conceived by a divine mind.

>> No.14874059

>>14873828
>comedian
>doesn't realize comedy is the offspring of religion

>> No.14874067

>>14873963
Truth, like morality, starts off as something outside of you and is something coercive due to that being the nature of the reality that we exist in as creatures. But as one grows they ascend higher and higher into truth and goodness, they find themselves and they find God. Thus mere outer language is not the truth. we utilize the symbols and language we have to express the truth or lack thereof.

>> No.14874071

>>14874024
The entire thing you call reality is already made up. There is only matter and energy, yet you think there are chairs, houses, even people. Religions come from men who saw a signal beyond the illusion, beyond maya. The signal comes from something more real than reality.

>> No.14874077

>>14874044
I think I might have exagerated when I said all religion is stupid, I just think taking it too serioulsy is stupid. I think of religion as a series of thoughts, cosmological, moral, philosophical, cultural thoughts. I see it as no different from any other philosophy of any kind, with it's ups and downs, brilliant teachings and some silly bullshit too, that's life.

>> No.14874085

>>14873910
Lol, no? There is no 'one real answer' to math problems, what are you talking about?

>> No.14874092

>>14873828
There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists, the others have died. Yours is superior. Yours is real.

>> No.14874101

>>14873999
Did I say that?
>>14874024
The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God

>> No.14874113

the real brainlet move here is to take his joke as an "argument" or a fact
but brainlets will bite any bait they see

>> No.14874129

>>14874077
That I agree with, though religion has a higher wisdom/words ratio than most philosophy.

>> No.14874140

Obviously Mr Gervais knows nothing about Bahais or New Agers & Hindus who think gods are all emanations of a single cosmic consciousness... It's only monotheistic religions which would debate this. Since Gervais comes from a post-Christian country he probably is none the wiser.

>> No.14874142

>>14874067
I respect that sincerily but I come to disagree with it. I think truth comes from language itself. I can point to a tree and call it "tree" and teach a child that way, in time the child understand there are trees of different kinds, but there is no such thing as "the tree" or the "treest of trees". I think truth emerges the same way, I can say the sky is blue or "I went to the dentist today" and prove to you that it is true, in time we learn from our own life to discern between what's true and what's not. It's the same with love, picture those people who had a hard time growing up in violent families that often, if they get no help, reproduce that in their own homes because they confuse love with violence. There are all sorts of ideas of love, same for truth, but I don't think there is one lovest of love or truest of truths, I think that is imagined, projected by ourselves. I think we project that because as we grow stumbling around in life we face very confusing moments and we wish there was a map to all this that could guide us and show us what is true and what's not, but I don't think such a map exists. Or maybe I could put it that the map does exist but we have drawn it ourselves, through our own observations wandering around ethical challenges.

>>14874071
I also think reality is made up, but I think religion is made up too. I think the world is best described as an abstraction, not true, not fake, an abstraction. It's what you take from it and simultaneously what you produce out of it. What I don't accept is to settle for an answer, even less so if it is given by another.

>>14874101
>The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God
A quote from the bible, very good anon.
If you want to believe in it, that's fine. Have a good life, anon. God bless you unironically. I don't believe in God, but I know you do, so I hope you feel blessed by him right now, honestly and truly, that's the wish of an atheist like myself.

>>14874129
I don't believe that much in wisdom too. Contradictory things can be and sound wise, I don't know bro.

>> No.14874184

>>14874041
>implying human logic is greater or better than god's logic

>> No.14874187

>>14874142
>but I think religion is made up too
How was Christianity made up? No one has a clue

>> No.14874238

>>14874187
Jesus was a very very wise men who knew bankers were fucked up, who fought for the rights of his people, who realized forgiving each other is much better than entering a spiral of hate, that we should share what we have and accept things for the way they are. Since people were already into religion and god at his time this "things as they are" is said to be the will of God and so on. He was so great that people gathered around, in his time and after that, talking about what he did and what implied, thinking on how to organize themselves around this knowledge and etc. And so christianity was made up.

>> No.14874286

>>14874184
God wouldn't be illogical nor contradictory. That would make him unethical and God is not unethical

>> No.14874312

>>14874238
You’re forgetting the prophecies in the OT that laid the foundations for Jesus’ coming. The OT and NT are so well intertwined, across centuries, and this also is what makes Christianity unique. Whoever compiled it all were geniuses, then. See the prophecies>>14873836

>> No.14874342

Atheists assume the entirety of theology is wrong. It's no different from the circular reasonning some religious use. It's all the same really, it's just one creates and the other destroys.

>> No.14874352

>>14873828
That's a strawman argument, there's no need to refute it.

>> No.14874358

>>14874085
2 + 2 = ?
there are an infinite amount of numbers, and hence an infinite amount of possible answers. Yet only 4 is correct

>> No.14874361

>>14874238
Except Jesus explicitly claimed to be the Son of God. As Lewis put it, you can either accept he was the Son of God, call him a madman, or call him the Devil if he was deliberately lying, but calling him a wise man is not an option.

>> No.14874371
File: 101 KB, 1024x546, BFB7AC8B-615A-4519-AB01-43C5566E30C9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873828

>> No.14874379

>>14874312
They are old writings from old tales made up to explain the world for the people of that time and that specific region of the earth anon.

Look, I understand you trust the bible, you are free to do so, but I don't take it as the truth, so when you say this part corroborates with another, you're not saying much to me. I've read incredible tales from native americans, I've also read plenty of chinese religion and some muslim. It's all beautiful and interwined. I think it's also beautiful for you to think a good buddhist is a good christian and so on, I think it makes some sense, but there are differences and contradictions between all of them too. There are plenty of books and chapters left out and included throughout the ages, translated and mistranslated.

It's not really an issue to me, I don't look for God or think about it too mcuh, I'm okay with the way things are. I know that for someone who is a christian it may sound strange, but alright.

>> No.14874401

>>14874361
Of course it is, I just did. I've heard that argument before, but I don't believe he is the devil, nor that he lied. I think he was saying his own truth in his own words, in that context in which he was. To an atheist it's not all or nothing like that. I can say Aristotle was a wise man, he believed animals were better separated by the color of their blood, which is not an updated biological fact. He was not dumb, he was not lying, in fact it was very smart of him to do so, he was just limited by the circumstances. I think Jesus calling himself the Son of God is a way to put it, but it doesn't necessarily mean what we, centuries later, in a different culture altogether, think he meant with it. That is specially relevant if you think of all the transformations in theology and the history of religion, each time rethinking all of what was said.

>> No.14874418

>>14874361
Jesus said that he is a son of God. Read the Greek.

>> No.14874419

>>14873836
hi, retard

>> No.14874439
File: 28 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873910

>> No.14874511

>>14874358
>only 4 is correct
Wrong. Try putting 2 male cats and 2 female cats in a room for a year with plenty of food and water. How many cats do you think you'll find? The answer won't be four.

>> No.14874513
File: 225 KB, 640x480, 147217437.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873828
The one religion that still stands at the end of times shall be the True one.

>> No.14874544

>You can imagine endless configurations of the human body, eight legs, five arms, three heads, twenty fingers but your body is the real one

>The others are silly and made up

>But not your body

>Your body is real

It's like these people don't understand, it's not a matter of rationality, we're talking about the stories which allowed humanity to expand to begin with, culturally, technologically and socially. The soil which our tree grows in is called Narrative

Right now we're running on fumes. Guided by the sickly light of rationality we're sowing dysfunction, atomization, relativism, nihilism and autism. We're cannibalizing our native populations to keep appearances up, as if there is anything to admire about a machine that smashes nativity rates and imports new people to make up for the loss. That's not a nation, that's a meat grinder

Hell was invented because it is surely what awaits you if you don't believe in it. Degradation, suffering and torture

>> No.14874575

>>14873885
They don't exclude each other like religions do.
Christianity for example states that there is only one god.

>> No.14874580

>>14874312
Jesus didn't fulfill the most important prophecies of the Old Testament. Jesus was not the Messiah.

>> No.14874594

>>14874580
example

>> No.14874599
File: 167 KB, 645x1000, 1578127259905.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14874575
Hello clueless. You can still find elements of polytheism, from such Judaism came, in the Hebrew Bible to this day. When parts of the Hebrew Bible were written (the earlier parts), Israelite religion was still polytheistic.

>> No.14874619

>>14873828

It's actually pretty easy to refute though

Different cultures have simply perceived the same god or gods in different ways and they've all added on their own extra stuff all of which is false to some degree

>> No.14874623

>>14874361
Yeah, those are totally the only options. You're definitely not deliberately neglecting to include that the gospel accounts could be inaccurate, and that Jesus never actually claimed to be THE son of God.

>> No.14874643

>>14873828
refuted

http://esotericawakening.com/what-is-reality-the-holofractal-universe

/thread

>> No.14874649

>>14874594
A lot of fundamental shit. World peace, the destruction of weapons. All shall worship and KNOW God. A bunch of other stuff about the importance of Israel and Jews to the world that absolutely hasn't happened, as well as more minor prophecies that Jesus failed to fulfill. I can't be bothered looking up the verses but they're mostly in Isaiah, and are reaffirmed in several places. I'm sure you'll find them all over google. Christianity has somehow brainwashed the world into thinking that Jesus miraculously fulfilled all the prophecies, when that's just complete bullshit. There are solid reasons for which the Jews don't believe Jesus was the Messiah.

>> No.14874682

>>14873999
According to the Multiverse Theory, is there an infinite number of universes. Sus the number of universes is infinite, then it is reasonable to assume that anything that may exist does in fact exist.

Therefore the Flying Spaghetti Monster is real.

>> No.14874689

>>14874649
https://jewsforjesus.org/answers/jesus-cant-be-the-messiah-he-didnt-bring-peace

http://christianthinktank.com/falsechrist.html

>> No.14874703

>>14874689
So, in short, he hasn't fulfilled the prophecies YET. I fail to see why I should regard him as the Messiah as of now.

>> No.14874711

>>14874703
https://jewsforjesus.org/publications/issues/issues-v05-n01/the-messianic-time-table-according-to-daniel-the-prophet

No one else can be the messiah. Just imagine the genealogy that would have to be produced if the Messiah hasn’t even come yet

>> No.14874727

>>14874511
Conduct that experiment if you must but on a wall in the room that the cats are in write in black magic marker
2+2=
When you open the door ten years later the answer to the writing on the wall will still be 4 even if the number of cats exceeds 500
Youre being wilfully perverse

>> No.14874754

>>14874184
WOAHHH BRO THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME BUT I'M GONNA INVENT THESE COPES SO I DON'T KILL MYSELF AHAHAHA

>> No.14874761

>>14874754
it wouldn’t make sense if humans understood it all desu

>> No.14874931

>>14873828
It's literally the Prime Mover argument you illiterate chucklefuck. Getting to Christianity, sure, that requires revelation, using just logic requires delving into the Transcendental Qualities, but monotheism is basic shit that should be a given.

>> No.14875145

>>14873828
its not a argument though

>> No.14875162

>>14874931
>Prime Mover argument
do retards really?

>> No.14875184

>>14875162
there have been nearly billions of people so far but only you're actually correct, the ithers are silly npcs, no, but not you, you're a real human bean.

>> No.14875207

>>14875184
oh no not the billions of people you think find the prime mover argument not retarded
but what about the billions of people who have believed in elephant gods?
is this a contest of how many billions?

>> No.14875236

>>14873883
Cogito Ergo Sum, asshole. Get that babby tier shit out of here.

However, you also definitely feel pain. I'm not referring to any of the physical effects that generate pain, I mean the sensation of hurting itself.
Pain is by definition undesirable.
Therefore it is in your best interest to treat things as if they were real, ie heeding consequences and avoiding the undesirable phenomenon that is pain.

Is anything real? It's not important, what's important is that it'll fuck your shit up either way if you act like a dumbass. Unlike any god.

>> No.14876681

>>14873954
His entire point rests on the opposite fact. What are you talking about?

>> No.14876712

>>14873828
There is only one God eternal.
There have been over 3000 man made idols who perished with their makers.

>> No.14876714

>>14873828
It's not an argument, it is a correct statement. What do you want me to argue?

>> No.14876723

>>14873866
except christianity itself has been nothing but 2000 years of inconsistency and is just as fallible as any other dogma that has come and gone throughout history
compare the hebrew matthew to the greek and modern english versions, for one example alone. the bible was written and re-written by men, denying that is just ignorance in favor of blind faith
keep in mind that zoroastrianism and buddhism pre-date christianity by several centuries and still survive today. if "perpetuity" is your argument, there are much older religions than christianity still around.

>> No.14876729

>>14873973
Why?

>> No.14876739

There is a near-infinite number of ways your brain could have been composed.

The others are “silly”, “schizophrenic”, and “insane”.

But not yours.

Yours is the one that reveals truth.

>> No.14876742

There have been thousands of beliefs throughout history.

All of them were false.

Except for your atheism.

Your atheism is real.

>> No.14876782
File: 213 KB, 1000x1482, 1582554444091.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873828
the issue with this argument is that it both presumes and agrees with the pop-christianity notion that the other "3000 gods" are "silly made up nonsense"
which still is invalid, since christians do acknowledge the existence of other gods of antiquity, they just call them daemons (see: goetia)

>> No.14876874
File: 330 KB, 1200x1697, 457acfd0_7b84_4768_8a38_c623e73ca8f3.jfif.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14874599
Okay suppose that is true.
Many aspects of these different religions still undermine each other.
They all have different explanations for the creation of the universe and different explanations for the afterlife.
I guess i should get around to reading the bible but i m pretty sure you can't simultaneously end up in Asgard and Elysium.

>> No.14876884

>>14873949
god i hate this site.

>> No.14876888

>>14875236
>I think, therefore I am.
Wrong. Right:
>I think, therefore I think.

>> No.14876894

>>14874358
>math is real
retard alert

>> No.14876901

>>14873828
Yes

>> No.14876912

>>14876729
Because he's an anime poster.

>> No.14877072

>>14874682
That hasn't been proven.

>> No.14877090

>>14875236
So basically you can't prove anything beyond appearances and approach existence in an intuitionist or pragmatist fashion-- you have just swung the door wide open for God. On this model belief in God is in no way absurd. You're just an intellectual bigot.

>> No.14877109
File: 55 KB, 800x440, 3_LEONMORIN-e1494989943245-800x440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873828
There is nothing to refute because he is just stating facts. My God is the real God and the other ones are silly nonsense. I'm glad he admitted to this. Seems like Ricky is finally coming around.

>> No.14877247

>>14874682
>the number of universes is infinite, then it is reasonable to assume that anything that may exist does in fact exist
Actually wrong. "Infinite" doesn't mean "all-encompassing."
For example, the set of even numbers is infinite, but it clearly doesn't contain all the numbers.
(Sorry for bringing logic into a godtard thread.)

>> No.14878024

>>14874682
>According to the Multiverse Theory
>there an infinite number of universes
According to that same theory, potentiality does not equal causality. More like there COULD be infinite universes, but no way to say that there are.

>> No.14878070

>>14873963
I know people get accused of "reddit spacing" on here but considering dropping some paragraph breaks during your next euphoric effortpost buddy.

>> No.14878085

>>14877072
There's literally less grounds for believing in "infinite multiverses" theory than that God spoke the cosmos into existence out of nothing. In fact most of the speculative multiverse theories are part of a now century-long attempt by atheists to cope with the implications of a non-eternal universe.

>> No.14878138
File: 194 KB, 512x475, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873828
>If the flesh came into being because of spirit, that is a marvel, but if spirit came into being because of the body, that is a marvel of marvels.
>Yet I marvel at how this great wealth has come to dwell in this poverty.

>> No.14878466

>>14876888
>I think, therefore I think
>I think
>I
You're presupposing the point you're supposed to be contradicting. Congratulations, you managed to ruin your own argument literally one word in.

>>14877090
>On this model belief in God is in no way absurd.
>[Citation needed]
That model requires something to incite a stimulus in order for it to be understood as "real," and the stimulus has to be shared for anyone other than the one person experiencing it to reasonably give a shit beyond a curiosity. If there was any strong evidence that a god had done that, we would be talking about the glory of The Great Mountain Spirit (or whatever) right now instead.

>> No.14878577
File: 128 KB, 211x246, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873836
>Even the Quran says that there are Christians in heaven (2:62).

Yea, the Christians who lived between Jesus (RA) and Muhammad (peace be upon him) and didn't worship a man. Rather, they worshipped God. Who was not begot or begotten.

>But Jesus says, "No one may come to the Father except through me.” The practical conclusion is to be a Christian.

How else do you get to God except through (or by being) a Messenger? Jesus was only sent to the Israelites. None of them could get to the Creator except through accepting him as a messenger. As Jesus said, 15: 24, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

> Why is Jesus the way? Because no one is good. Everyone sins.

This doesn't prove Jesus is the way for all mankind. This is why his God is the way. Everyone has to turn in repentance to the God. Who the bible itself, says glorified Jesus as a servant. And how can God be a servant?

"The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus” (Acts 3:13).

>> No.14879008

>>14873836
>>14874312
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

>> No.14879526

>>14873866
> Ima just use all these words that begin with a P and hopefully my answer will sound cool enough that nobody will question the (lack of) significance and specificity of what I just said.

>> No.14879596

>>14873966

> attempts to defend Christianity via logical arguments of probability

> whose core beliefs ascertain that the absence of dick led to procreation of a prophet

Not anon but the premise of your argument of the probability of Christianity w.r.t the backdrop of religions is a simplistic bulldozing of inherently mutually incompatible institutions. You don't want to know what Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam actually are. You just want to be told what they are so as to fit an archaic classical worldview one step removed from necrophilia.

>> No.14879606

>>14874071
wtf I thought /lit/ was supposed to be a smart board

>> No.14879633

>>14873828
>thinking the Christian proofs of God apply to polytheistic religions.
Why are atheists so obsessed with religion but never make a serious attempt to study basic theology?

>> No.14879642

>>14873973
You don't hate Christians, you hate daddy.

>> No.14879650

>>14874041
That's not what original sin means, and you clearly don't understand what sin even is. Fuck athiests are retarts.

>> No.14879664

>>14879606
what exactly is wrong with that, if you believe in materialism?

>> No.14879726

ignore the religion part of religion and just follow the moral code you most agree with

like how Dudeism is pretty much just Taoism without the spirituality, and a Big Lebowski flavoring

>> No.14880150

>>14873852
this. op is illiterate

>> No.14880230

>>14876894
This. math is supra-real

>> No.14880311

>>14874024
>admits absurdity
<doesn't think it can be so absurd that a god could exist
only problem with atheists is that they cants accept that god could just as well be another deadbeat dad who we haven't seen for a few eternities

>> No.14880457

>>14873828
>There have been 3000 gods made since the dawn of humanity. All these humans despite isolation, cultural and philosophical differences, and completely different environments have talked of the Divine existing.

>They are all wrong because they all identified this "Divine" realm.

Stupidity knows no bounds. Almost all militant atheists I know, are normies who are trying to pose as edgy contrarians.

>> No.14880874

>>14873828
>nearly 3000
what a fucking retard

>> No.14881122

>>14876742
terrible bait

>> No.14881125
File: 501 KB, 1536x2048, IMG_20191230_093729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have sex, all of you.

>> No.14881127

shut up liberal

>> No.14881218

>>14873828
gervais is assuming that Faith is knowledge of Gods existence. and it is, but rather a knowledge your small mind couldnt register

>> No.14881729

>>14873836
Cope harder

>> No.14882081
File: 51 KB, 497x500, 1583261084127.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14881125
You make sex sound like an achievement for you when all you have to do is spread your thighs to get it.
Am i supposed to look up to you or something?

>> No.14882334
File: 83 KB, 703x554, zoomertradcath.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14873889
>cope

>> No.14882388

>>14873836
Is there actually any reason to believe christianity to be more probable than other religions?

>> No.14882771

>>14873828
>you tell 3000 jokes but only one is funny
>you are still considered a comedian

>> No.14882778

>>14876884
Seething because you can’t refute it

>> No.14882850
File: 362 KB, 913x1763, 1577061114952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Daily reminder it has been empirically proven religiosity stifles scientific innovation.

https://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/Religion%20December%201g_snd.pdf
http://www.nber.org/papers/w21052.pdf

Daily reminder the overwhelming majority of leading scientists are atheists

https://www.nature.com/articles/28478
https://evolution-outreach.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1936-6434-6-33

Daily reminder most philosophers are atheists

https://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

Daily reminder religious people are less intelligent according to dozens of studies.

http://diyhpl.us/~nmz787/pdf/The_Relation_Between_Intelligence_and_Religiosity__A_Meta-Analysis_and_Some_Proposed_Explanations.pdf

Daily reminder religious people are less educated

https://www.economist.com/news/international/21623712-how-education-makes-people-less-religiousand-less-superstitious-too-falling-away

Religious people are literally a lesser breed of human

>> No.14882909

>>14873828
Louis Gervais is midwit personified

>> No.14883055

>>14873828
They are all the same, just witnessed by different people in different circumstances.

>> No.14883070

>>14873828
there have been nearly 3000 of political views so far but yours are actually true
The others are silly made up nonsense
But not yours
yours are real

>> No.14883084

>>14883055
dubs of truth

>> No.14883092

>>14873844
>using reality to justify reality is real
brainlet

>> No.14883146

>>14873828
>anglo
>anglo comedian
>anglo faggot comedian
>anglo faggot fedora comedian
Damn, but one short of a heathen bingo.

>> No.14883179

That's not an argument so yes, nobody can refute it.

>> No.14883259

>>14879633
>Modern polytheists

Ew, who wants to talk to or about some edgy teens.

>> No.14883273

Dear Ricky Germass

Although you have proven your point through mockery, God will be laughing at your rotten corpse shortly

>> No.14883285

>>14883070
Do you not change your political views from time to time?

>> No.14883300

>>14883273
>God will be laughing at your rotten corpse shortly
Your god sounds fucked, dude. If you think he's really running things, you should rebel.

>> No.14883314

>>14883300
>Whether you should rebel or not is based on if you like the person in charge or not, not whether you have any chance of succeeding or not

>> No.14883328

>>14883300
My God is so strong you could not rebel

>> No.14883359

>>14883314
>>14883328
>Someone is much stronger than me, so I should literally worship them
Are you ironyposting me right now? I have never read anything so pathetically beta in my entire life, including from basedboy sjws. At least they have a fucking stance.

So what do you do when someone who could kick your ass gets angry at you? Do you induct him into your pantheon, or do you just skip straight to sucking his cock.

>> No.14883416

>>14873828
Absolutely pathetic. That fat retard can join Fry in perdition. Not my doing, his.

>> No.14883421

>>14883359
not that anon, but no. he is correct. one does not rebel against the omnipotent, retard. only cringey people like you or germass or fry think they can meaningfully stand against God.

>> No.14883428

>>14883359
the difference is that you will never be able to contest with God, and your relationship with him lasts forever. It’s not as if you fight him, lose, then only face temporary consequences. How are you so blind to this? Very short-sighted, worldly thinking.

>> No.14883430

>>14883359
Guess I should state im not christian. Fuck if I know what I would be classified as, neoplatonist I guess?
But you do realize you are suggesting rebellion against what is basically an abstract fundamental rule of the universe right? Its like calling someone a bootlicker for accepting that 2+2=4

>> No.14883529

>>14883421
>>14883428
>>14883430
If you can't win a direct contest, then don't contest it directly. Work around it, cheat, arrange an advantageous position somehow (How would you even contest God directly anyhow? Punch him in the face?). Saying you're utterly powerless is cowardly blindness, atheists not getting smote in the street are a testament to at least that much.
If you want to retain beliefs that you think are Good or correct, that's one thing. But worshiping an entity because you fear it as intrinsically insurmountable is ignoring the fact that people are surmounting it at least in part as a routine. It's a fearful, defeatist mindset, and at least the original guy I was replying to seemed to think his god was a tyrant.

If god real (and a dick), then it's a worthy cause. If god not real, then it's still a symbolic struggle that could lead to some personal growth. Win/Win, and you don't have to live your life afraid of the fabric of reality itself judging you for not loving it enough.

>> No.14883535

>>14883529
>work around "2+2=4"
>work around the omnipotent, the almighty
you're retarded as ricky germ ace

>> No.14883545

>>14883529
bro...you’re retarded

>> No.14883556

>>14883535
So where's the smiting? Why am I unsmote? I reject your god as an entity let alone an object of worship, why haven't I been punished like you believe is so inevitable?

Is it because in your concept of divine punishment only happens where people can't see and report back on it, like a good and bad place after death? Is it, Anon?

>> No.14883621

>>14883556
You’re being punished slowly. Your soul is rotting. You’re like one who eats candy and is happy, not knowing that you’ll eventually pay the price with your own health. As your sources of momentary pleasure dwindle, you will be carried away, like chaff in the wind.

>> No.14883659

>>14883621
I actually enjoy a pretty fulfilling life based around a sense of purpose rather than submitting myself to something. Both my physical and mental health are good, and I'm set up to continue a very profitable career into a comfortable retirement (although I'll never be a 1%er or anything).

If it is in fact a slow punishment, the emphasis must be on slow.

>> No.14883675

>>14882850
There's a reason this style of "euphoric atheist" is such a meme.

The pursuit of knowledge is like turning over tiles to try and reveal a picture. There's an infinite amount of tiles, but most people keep at it forever, and some even manage to turn over a brand new tile, if they're lucky.

You, however, managed to turn over one tile, found empiricism underneath, and are waving it in the air as you run in circles, completely ignoring the other tiles.

>> No.14883677

Hegel refuted it pretty brutally.

>>14873836
>Good christians are good buddhists
lmao, no??? Do you know anything about buddhism or its moral system?

>> No.14883690

>>14883677
Would Jesus suffer under a Buddhist reality?

>> No.14883691

you can't refute religious crap because it's made of hypotheses, not facts.

>> No.14883699

>>14883690
Yes, but more.

>> No.14883711

>>14883699
why?

>> No.14883713

>>14883711
He told me.

>> No.14883765

>>14883621
this

>>14883556
>So where's the smiting? Why am I unsmote?
you don't understand. God does things in his time. his justice is not even comparable to our systems of or notions of "justice."

i don't know how people can be so ignorant of something they condemn.

>> No.14883777

>>14883765
So it'll happen, but we just can't see it. Nice.

>> No.14883786

>>14883621
My soul? It's merely a skin, stretched over a strangeness indescribable. It does not rot, but when I have pinned a demon or an angel, they have a tendency of making a rip in it during the struggle, before the metaphysical enzymes immobilize them and I suck out their essence, leaving a dessicated husk.

The rips are no matter, it is trivial to weave a new one. If this is your god's idea of "consequence", I pity whoever is satisfied by its idea of "reward".

>> No.14883792

>>14873828
Kuzari principle btfos all religions except for Judaism

>> No.14883800

Yeah, just going to clarify, >>14883786 isn't the same guy as >>14883556

Jesus tapfucking christ, dude.

>> No.14883830

>>14874599
Please tell me where you see elements of Polytheism in the Hebrew Bible...

>> No.14883909

>>14873828
Pascal literally refuted this hundreds of years ago. Why don't you people read?

>> No.14883925

>>14883909
Pascal was another beta who was afraid of a punishment that didn't exist.

>> No.14884010

>>14883925
I will never understand this mindset -- to seethe so hard that you are willing to talk out of your ass, blindly hoping the dart hits the target.

Needless to say, this is false, and if you actually read him you'd know that.

If you read anything more than that, you might come to the conclusion that having faith against faith is as pointless as the people you antagonize, or at least your portrayal of them.

>> No.14884091
File: 252 KB, 800x1085, 800px-Nietzsche187a[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14884010
Do you see the disappointment in his eyes, Anon? If you had the discipline to forge your own morality, he wouldn't be so fucking sad when he looks at you.

>> No.14884107

>>14884091
No one ever explains why it’s so important to create your own morality. Even without religion, it would be nearly impossible to have a unique moral system. There’s nothing wrong with choosing from what’s available. Shall we also create our own scientific truths as well to minimize our cuckoldry? Idiots.

>> No.14884153
File: 81 KB, 754x638, IMG_7816.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A great number of them actually exist. I'm sure Apollo, say, exists- or at least did exist. He's just not the One True God.
This argument is extremely fake and gay and comport with how Christians actually think about the gods of other religions. Even the ones most hostile to paganism will usually say that the pagan gods were all demons.

>> No.14884157

>>14884153
>and DOESN'T comport
Editing error.

>> No.14884172

>>14884107
>Even without religion, it would be nearly impossible to have a unique moral system.
Everybody already has their own moral system. No two moral systems are equivalent. I don't think you read Nietzsche, and it's quite embarrassing reading your comments.
>There’s nothing wrong with choosing from what’s available.
Correct, there is "nothing wrong" with that, as long as you assimilate it as your own. If you keep on depending on it, you will be endlessly shaped by it, with influence coming from something outside of you, which is the definition of weakness.
>Shall we also create our own scientific truths as well to minimize our cuckoldry?
People already do create their own "scientific" "truths". The truth is merely the opinion many agree on. This does not mean their truths in their heads are equivalent, though.

>> No.14884178

>>14883259
The unmoved mover has not been refuted and it does not apply to polytheistic religions, or any non-abrahmic religion that I'm aware of.

>> No.14884218

>>14884107
Because certain forms of belief get outdated over time and can no longer function in the constantly changing environment. That's what the whole "God is dead," thing was about.
>"What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"
Technology was killing the purpose and coherence of religion in society, and he saw it happening early as fuck. We had to rework morality around the fact that our ability to generally fuck things up was constantly expanding, and he saw that it would be a huge fucking shift from the tradition based morality of the time.
And for the most part it worked, with some bumps along the way. We transitioned away from religious morality to the point where religious leaders take their cue from society rather than the other way around. Pro-gay popes and whatnot.

Selecting from what's available is the point, though. How should we treat strangers? What about foreign strangers? What about new, revolutionary ideas? Going by some ancient rules is an abdication of responsibility; we have a duty to use whatever is the effective rather than hedge our bets against the wrath of that guy that no one can prove exists.

>> No.14884245

The one true God is an incomprehensible being and all attempts are shallow amoprhisations - Hindus have the best perspective with Brahma. That’s not to say there aren’t higher beings (relative to us not God) that people in the past would have considered “Gods” which may or not be benevolent but they are God in its truest sense.

>> No.14884255

>>14884245
Can I be in your fanfic? I want to be a vampire, the sparkly kind.