[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 300x300, 1583263647198.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14871440 No.14871440 [Reply] [Original]

How do you get a short story published? I've been submitting my stories intermittently for a few years now, and the closest I've gotten was a journal saying they had a "positive response" to my story but wouldn't publish it. I worry I'm submitting to journals that are too selective, but I don't want to just be published in some blog either. Ive tried creating a spreadsheet with teirs based on https://thejohnfox.com/ranking-of-literary-journals/ and have been working down the list with no success. Anyone who has had any stories published, please give tips and tricks. I would appreciate any advice at all.

>> No.14871891

Publish to magazines where the story would fit. Focus on quality of submission, rather than quantity. If you just blanket submit them to just about any magazine you come across, probably none of them will accept it.

Also, if the story is consistently rejected, don't ever be afraid to go and re-edit the dumb thing.

Also the story has to actually be good....that's kind of a kicker. If you can't write good stories, a good way to get published is appeal to whatever modern leftist talking point is popular by including it in your story. This actually does work. Of course, it won't ever lead to anything, you'll still be a starbucks working nobody with a hundred useless publishing creds under your belt, but hey, you'll still be published right?

Also, when it comes to a lot of theme magazines, and contests, they flat out TELL you what they're looking for. Write THAT.

>> No.14872045

>>14871440
hello figglewatts