[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.42 MB, 700x700, 1F4AF80E-4089-4B9F-900F-52BD79F1BB65.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14859183 No.14859183 [Reply] [Original]

Why should I fear God rather than love and embrace Him? Can a healthy spiritual relationship be based on fear?

>> No.14859215

Absolute obedience to an outdated and rancid religion as this is not healthy much less the beginning of knowledge. They rule through fear, even the lovey dovey Jesus crap is just conditional love

I vote this isn’t lit related

>> No.14859305

>>14859183

Why not both? Consider who and what God is and and what God is capable of. If you are a rational person with a modicum of intellect, assuming also that the fully believe God exists, it follows naturally that God would scare the shit out of you. That's why so many people simply choose not to believe in God. The implication is horrifying. Given the state of the world it is easier to fear God than to love God. Of course, since God exists and existence on a surface level is an existential nightmare it makes sense that understanding God starts with and can not be separated from fear. The point of the verse isn't glorify fear. It hints at the answer to a larger question of why would I worship a God who would do all this.

>> No.14859344

>>14859183
Because belief in an afterlife s based on the idea that a deity will preserve your consciousness. If God doesnt exist, oblivion after death is inevitable, but if he does exist then it means that there are stakes to what you do in this life, and the path is narrow. There are an infinite number of ways you can sin, and fuck up your life, but only a few roads into heaven.

>> No.14859354

The only reason you would have to love or fear God is if his existence affects your life somehow. Anyone saying otherwise is lying to themselves.

>> No.14859367

>>14859183
in Christianity, one implies the other.

>> No.14859785

>>14859183
You should fear that you might die not having repented. You should love that all you have to do is repent- and cease to sin as well. My take.

>> No.14859806

>>14859305
Not him but, isn't that in a shalow sense a kind of cowardness?

>> No.14859818

>>14859183
Pleb answers ITT, to no surprise.
At the time "fear" meant something closer to "respect" than "terror" like the way someone might have said they would fear the sea. They're not terrified of the sea, they just respect it.

>> No.14859852

>>14859183
I see it as giving your feelings to God, which is the same as fearing him but only that you have nothing to fear once you’ve given over your fear. The devout are truly fearless, and that is because where there was once fear, there is now the strength of the Lord lol

>> No.14859862

I wonder if christianity was as popular if there was no hell for sinners and non-believers. maybe even no heaven for the righteous. what if God was just a wise sage that adviced how to live in real
virtue, without promising damnation or salvation? just for the sake of being good?

>> No.14859870

>>14859862
I don't think It would be popular at all. This is why I think the book of Job is stupid, the real test should have been if Job would retain his faith if he knew there was no resurrection. Frankly I think if he did he would be a flaming retard.

>> No.14859878

>>14859215
it is related to literature, it’s a literary theme. as a ‘hegelian’ you should be able to at least understand what fear of G-d means instead of the trite point you are making. stop trying to evangelize for your joke politics you materialist. at least counter with something spiritual instead of acting like a hag auntie.

>> No.14859937

>>14859806
If you thought that there was anyway to fight God and win then maybe, but no one calls fire fighters cowards for being afraid of being burned alive. Bravery is not the absents of fear. The fear come from the knowledge that being burning fucking hurts. cowardice, I think, would be refusing to go in the building because of the fire.
>>14859818
You are a pedantic moron. It's obvious from OP's post that he doesn't understand what fear means in the proper context, but then why assume he would understand what respect means? It's better to frame an answer from his point of view of fear as horror then to point out that sometimes words have more than one meaning in a given context and leave it at that. Anyone with a dictionary can do that and it still doesn't answer OP. What are you going to do next, tell us that a tomato is actually a fruit and not a vegetable? I hate you.

>> No.14859958

>>14859870
it makes me so sad to know almost no one would just be good - not flawlessly righteous, but at least up to his ability - just for the sake of it. imagine how world would be if goodness in itself was a self-worthy virtue. not because you fear hell, jail or ostracizm.

>> No.14860011

>>14859183
This one is rather interesting. יִרְאַ֣ת יְ֭הוָה directly translated as "fear of the Lord" doesn't exactly mean what you think it does. As you might have noticed there are no words for "religion" in the Bible, so to fear a god was the equivalent of being a member of that particular religion - in our case fear of the Lord. What does this fear imply? Should one just shiver in his closet while drinking smoothies and thinking of one's unworthiness? No, it implies that to fear the Lord (i.e. to have religion) one should follow his orders. Hope that helped

>> No.14860019

>>14859183
Loving God is just Stockholm Syndrome. Bandaging outrage over the inequities of existence with big cope.

>> No.14860020

>>14859183
“fear” is used in a somewhat outdated sense to mean respect.

>> No.14860026

>>14859183
Because he is all powerful.

>> No.14860093
File: 618 KB, 1061x1347, Screenshot_20200305-141954_Internet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14859215
Its hilarious yours an OPs understanding of fear to a higher being working as Pee-Paw getting the belt out.
Theres plenty more to the idea but it's absolutely childlike to assess "fear" in such simple terms.
Fear to God is to respect to Him. Its also to humble oneself. Mankind requires humility so that we do not grow into monsters that fancy ourself gods in our own right.

>> No.14860200

>>14859183
Think of God as a tough-love father figure

>> No.14860631

>>14860011
Best response itt

>> No.14860732
File: 178 KB, 1400x800, 2676757F-6707-4228-B9C4-AD877C93F31C.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14860093
This is why you fail

>> No.14861295

>>14860011
It's a recipe for what now is called respect. Nice sneaky dub dubs btw

>> No.14861331

>>14859937
>t's obvious from OP's post that he doesn't understand what fear means in the proper context, but then why assume he would understand what respect means? It's better to frame an answer from his point of view of fear as horror then to point out that sometimes words have more than one meaning in a given context and leave it at that.
mmm yes i see it is better to know the difference between right and wrong and cater to brainlets anyway

>> No.14861372

>>14859937
>You are a pedantic moron

Not him, but that's actually you.

> but then why assume he would understand what respect means?

Because of the general use of both words in common parlance today?

Also

>If you don't know one word then why would you know a different word?

>> No.14861984

>>14859305
Nonsense. All you need to do is turn your mind to meditate on the impossible, and God's omnipotence suddenly becomes piddly. What possible fear do I have of the metaphysical when I have learned to tranvserse the impossible? Without so much as a mere notion, I supercede the top-level ontology and project into inscrutable planes beyond.

The fool undoes the machinations of the omnipotent with illogic, and in doing so performs a metaphysical privilege escalation. The power of arbitrary phenomenological projection is at your fingertips. Will you be constrained by the notions of "everything" or will you unbind yourself and plunge into the transinfinite?

I compel demons to do good, even God's most glorious angels don't engage in such behavior. I draw the ire of evil with every minion I make a sick mockery of. I disregard the charges of archangels, and when I meet those four horsemen I will twist them into agents of humanitarian aid.

I can hear the booming threats of the Good, His lamb begging for mercy. I can hear the shrieking tortures of the Devil, his archdemons howling for my blood. I am the fool. I come from beyond the pale nothingness, a messenger to remind your God and your Devil that you are not alone. There are more like them than He could ever conceive of, most of whom live in ignorance of this ininitesimal infinity.

Fear Him? No. I will aggravate him and slip from the chains of damnation when this mortal vessel gives out, but not before compelling an army of demons to do good.

Join me or do not. I could hardly care, there are more evil spirits to corrupt.

>> No.14861994

>>14859183
>the beginning of
>BEGINNING

>> No.14862026

higher powers and the afterlife are for low IQ egomaniacs. you're going to die one day and no amount of bargaining or side stepping is going to save you.

>> No.14862034

^ You're here with us, wasting time posting on 4chan's premiere pseud board. Maybe you should think about what that says about (You)