[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.09 MB, 1333x1584, 1581307225904.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14825799 No.14825799 [Reply] [Original]

Im writing a romance novel. Whenever I post my work on here, the critiques usually amount to people telling me to quit writing and/or kill myself, but why specifically is my writing so shit?

>> No.14825806

>warrior princess

fuck off, incel

>> No.14825835

>>14825799
>why specifically is my writing so shit?

I don't know, I liked it. It was kinda cute.

>> No.14825875

It's definitely not the worst genre fiction I've ever read. However, in my eyes, selecting genre should also mean that there is a definitive reason you selected that particular setting for your story, and I don't see that in these four pages. I could just as easily see Caitlin and Christiansen as contemporaries in a modern office compared to the medieval knights you present them as. I like both of these characters, and I assume the genre will flow in as you move the plot forward, but I think you should make these two different characters within the genre of fantasy, assuming they're both humans. What happens if Caitlin is an elf? Does your fantasy world accept the races mixing? What happens if Christiansen is a mage? Do their views on optimal combat techniques come between them?

I like your stuff, OP, but I wish these characters had less to bond over. It would make their awkwardness a little more justified in my eyes.

>> No.14825883

>>14825799
>but why specifically
If you don't get it, you either never browsed around or are amazingly stupid. The board has a pretty tense relationship with fiction already, move further to genre fiction and most autists throw hissy fits. Go down further to a genre with is typically read by females, and you easy piss off the majority of the people left. And that's in a scenario when your writing is stunning.

I'd say it's "fine" but you will likely get much better feedback on fucking reddit or some forum for writers who actually care about writing instead of impressing anons with their hot takes on how shitty popular stuff is.