[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.84 MB, 4032x3024, IMAG0246.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14813016 No.14813016 [Reply] [Original]

What is the reason behind the 'start with the greeks' meme?
I mean, it's comfy and all, but why shouldn't I go straight back to my spaceships, lazers & fantasy worlds after I finish this, the Odyssey & the Aenid?
Not trying to diminish the value of these books in any way, (I wouldn't even be able to), but what is the reason I should 'start' here?
And don't worry, I still enjoy reading these and will finish them.

>> No.14813025

are u honestly starting there coz /lit/ told you to, but you dont actually kno why?

>> No.14813031

>>14813016
With fiction there is no reason to start with the Greeks. The only place you should start with the Greeks is if you want to start reading philosophy.

>> No.14813033

>>14813016
So you can have context for what authors are talking about and understated the references they make.
If for example if you want to read Nietzsche, then you can gain more context by reading Goethe. For context on Goethe you can read the Bible.
The more context you have to more a picture of Western life comes clear.

>> No.14813038

>>14813016
because now you know why shit like 'carries a torch' for someone is part of the language and when Dawn fingers Rosie, you cum with a smile.

>> No.14813043

>>14813016
I read about greek mythology because it was referenced so much in all the fiction I was reading. Got tired of reading wikipedia articles mid-book.

>> No.14813094
File: 603 KB, 800x472, ehdvlg6liir9qvzwtxji.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>start with the greeks

>> No.14813153

>>14813016
>he fell for the chart meme

>> No.14813158

You shouldn't actually read chronologically, it's more about familiarizing yourself with culture and history so you'll be able to comprehend big boy books in the future. Tbh a book summarizing Greek mythology should be enough unless you want to study math/philosophy.

>> No.14813163

>>14813016
read whatever the fuck you want, your priority should be getting rid of the internalized collective voice of /lit/ which is already firmly lodged within your mind...

>> No.14813293

OP here, thanks for your replies!
I guess I kind of got memed, but I wanted to read about the greeks and romans anyway so I guess it isn't all that bad.
And yes, I do want to read more philosophical works in the future, especially kant & nietzsche are on my list and I'm not sure how to go about it, but reading your replies makes me feel less bad about dropping fiction for a bit and reading this stuff.
What should I read after the books mentioned in the OP?
My goal is to be able to properly understand nietzsche & kant, but I dont plan on doing years of studying or anything.
Just enough to be able to grasp their ideas and how it influences people today.

>> No.14813319

>>14813031
>With fiction there is no reason to start with the Greeks
>oven
"Hey goy, don't start with "The Illiad" and "The Oddessy." Why study the first and most famous works of Western Literature? Read "Philip Roth instead, goy!"

>> No.14813429
File: 44 KB, 480x480, 1559314871775.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm at the chapter where the Greeks and Trojans are fighting over Patroclus' body.
I thought this was about Achilles' rage ? The best part thus far were the begginging and the very early stage of the battle. But it's been ten chapters of back and forth between Hector, Ajax and no names.

>> No.14813582
File: 109 KB, 500x660, god01L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here begins ontology.

Now when Morning, clad in her robe of saffron, had begun to suffuse light over the earth, Zeus called the gods in council on the topmost crest of serrated Olympus. Then he spoke and all the other gods gave ear. "Hear me," said he, "gods and goddesses, that I may speak even as I am minded. Let none of you neither goddess nor god try to cross me, but obey me every one of you that I may bring this matter to an end. If I see anyone acting apart and helping either Trojans or Danaans, he shall be beaten beyond the limits of universal order [kosmos] ere he come back again to Olympus; or I will hurl him down into dark Tartaros far into the deepest pit under the earth, where the gates are iron and the floor bronze, as far beneath Hades as heaven is high above the earth, that you may learn how much the mightiest I am among you. Try me and find out for yourselves. Hang me a golden chain from heaven, and lay hold of it all of you, gods and goddesses together - tug as you will, you will not drag Zeus the supreme counselor from heaven to earth; but were I to pull at it myself I should draw you up with earth and sea into the bargain, then would I bind the chain about some pinnacle of Olympus and leave you all dangling in the mid firmament. So far am I above all others either of gods or men."

>> No.14813728

Its like starting with the third movie of the trilogy