[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 466 KB, 543x595, fatlip1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14809215 No.14809215 [Reply] [Original]

>For my part, I believe our souls are adult at twenty as much as they are ever like to be, and as capable then as ever. A soul that has not by that time given evident earnest of its force and virtue will never after come to proof.
- Montaigne, Of Age

>But let us hear the counsel that the younger Pliny gives his friend Cornelius Rufus on this matter of solitude: "I advise you, in this full and abject care of the household, and to devote yourself to the study of letters, in order to derive from them something that is all your ow." He means reputation, being of a like temper with Cicero, who says he wants to use his solitude and rest from public affairs to gain by his writings immportal life: [...] It seems reasonable, when a man talks of retiring from the world, that he should set his gaze outside of it. These men do so only halfway [...] by a ridiculous contradiction they still aspire to reap the fruit of their plan from the world when they have left it. [...] The humor most directly opposite to retirement is ambition. Glory and repose are things that cannot lodge in the same dwlling. As far as I can see, these men have only their arms and legs outside the crowd; their souls, their intentions, are more than ever in the thick of it.
- Montaigne, Of Solitude

Is he right?

>> No.14809223

Back then, being 20 was like being 40 is now.

>> No.14809232
File: 10 KB, 480x360, image02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14809223
See but then he says
>hold it as certain that since that age [thirty] my mind and my body have rather shrunk than grown, and gone backward rather than forward. It is possible that in those who employ their time well, knowledge and experience grow with living; but vivacity, quickness, firmness and other qualities much more our own, more important and essential, wither and languish.

>> No.14809244

>>14809215
Montigne is great but the first line is bogus.

>> No.14809267
File: 29 KB, 480x480, 1545766040344.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

guys post more montaigne redpills. i woke up this morning and read two random essays and he immediately made me want to kill myself. ive been seriously considering it all day.

it's pretty awesome. more redpills