[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 700x695, a2KpJD7Z_700w_0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14788104 No.14788104 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best way and the best books to start with.
Do I read every book starting with the Greeks? What the fuck do I do? Watch online videos?
Tips welcomed.

>> No.14788136

have sex

>> No.14788166
File: 91 KB, 1200x1010, 1564423477098.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14788136
Kant

>> No.14789576

>>14788104
Greeks:
First Philosophers by Waterfield / Plato's Trial Of Socrates / Aristotle's Organon / Epicurus Essentials
Romans:
Plutarch's Lives / Plotinus Enneads / Proclus Elements Of Theology
Theologians:
Augustine's Confessions / Aquinas's Shorter Summa
Rationalists:
Descartes Meditations / Spinoza's Ethics / Leibniz's Discourse
Empiricists:
Locke's Human Understanding / Berkely's Human Understanding / Hume's Human Understanding
Germans:
Kant Prolegomena To Any Future Metaphysics/ Hegel's Philosophy Of History / Schoppenhaur's Four Fold Root Of Sufficient Reason
Still Germans but not as important:
Stirner's Ego And It's Own / Kierkegaard's Either Or / Nietzsche's Beyond Good And Evil

>> No.14790461

Bumping because I have the same question

>> No.14790567
File: 1.80 MB, 2873x2155, 1547914970611.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14788104

>> No.14791794
File: 61 KB, 500x610, 1561207910180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14789576
aye that's nice and all but what I'm asking is - if I read all these books will that make me a philosophy genius?
How do I study philosophy - that's what I'm asking basically: do I just read books?

>> No.14792081

>>14789576
Terrible List. OP do this if you want to ruin philosophy for yourself, nobody past the undergraduate would recommend this shit.

>> No.14792086

>>14788104
just started uni, my philosophy 101 class suggested reading is thomas nagel's 'what does it all mean?' its a easy read and just over 100 pages with large font.

>> No.14792095

Am i the only one who thinks "learning philosophy" is stupid?
You arrive at questions by yourself, then learn what the known thinkers thought were the answers, and then keep going.

>> No.14792126

Start with a Presocratics Commentary (don't get too in depth here, Aristotle will bring up a lot of pre-socratic theories later).
Once you've got a grasp of Pythagoras/Milesians/Heraclitus and Parmenides move onto Plato
>Early Dialogues (Euthyphro, Apology, Alcibiades, Crito, Phaedo)
>Meno, Charmides, Ion, Menexenus
>Protagoras, Euthydemus, Greater/Lesser Hippias, Gorgias
>Cratylus, Lysis, Symposium, Phaedrus
>Republic (focus on Book VII and the Myth of Er)
>Theaetetus, Philebus, Sophist, Statesman
>Parmenides (really study this one)
>Timaeus/Critias and Laws (very important for later Platonic Metaphysics and Practical Philosophy)
Keep in mind that Plato is deeply influenced by Pythagoreanism and borrows a good amount of his Epistemology and Metaphysics from here.
Moving on you absolutely need to have a grounding in Aristotle:
>Organon (Logical grounding for all later works, use Al-Farabi's commentaries for an intro to Islamic/Medieval Logic)
>Poetics (If you want Aristotelian Aesthetic theory)
>Ethics
>Politics
>Physics (brings up a lot of pre-socratics here, I recommend getting a commentary from Aquinas or a Medieval Aristotelian)
>De Anima (Again with the Commentary; I favor Aquinas here)
>Metaphysics (really study this, you can use commentaries again here)
After this I would recommend you go ahead and read the New Testament, since it lays the foundation for a lot of Medieval ethics and Metaphysics. Go ahead and tackle Epicurus/Lucretius if you liked Democritus or are interested in Epicureanism. Stoics are also optional based on interest. After this, get into Neoplatonism.
>Plotinus - The Enneads (Starting point for NP)
>Proclus - Theology and Commentaries
>Iamblichus - Theology of Arithmetic and Mysteries
>Damascius - Commentaries
Now you should read the Christians, here's the bare bones:
>Augustine - Confessions
>Augustine - On Free Will
You can also look into tackling specific books of City of God if your interested.
>Boethius - Consolations
>Pseudo-Dionysius - Celestial Hierarchy
>Anselm - Monologion/Proslogion and Cur Deus Homo
Read secondary stuff for Scholastics since it takes way too long unless you want to specialize. I'll recommend some medieval thinkers who I personally like, but they are by no means required:
>Saint Maximus the Confessor
>Clement of Alexandria
>Athanasius
>Duns Scotus
>John Eriugena
>Meister Eckhart
>Gregory Palamas
>Bonaventure
>Al-Farabi
>Avicenna and Maimonides
After this you should try and get some abridged version of Aquinas, at least to tackle the arguments for God. Once you finish Aquinas you can move to Descartes.
>Descartes - Meditations, Discourse and Principles of Philosophy
>Pascal - Pensees
>Spinoza - Ethics, Tractatus, Letters
>Leibniz - Monadology and other Essays
>Locke - Human Understanding
>Berkeley - Human Understanding
>Hume - Human Understanding
A this point tackle Kant's Critiques and after that you can pretty much jump into any modern philosophy.

>> No.14792146

>>14791794
You should read important thinkers, engage with their ideas and find other opinions on them via commentaries or secondary sources. Use Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy to introduce you to a thinker if you have trouble getting into their works. You can decide for yourself what interests you and structure your reading based on that. Other than that, you would probably need to take classes or something to get discussions/real guidance.

>> No.14792150

>>14788104
Don’t waste your time, study science instead