[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 436x436, 1288382574535.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1475105 No.1475105 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /lit/,

20 year old douche bag who finally realizes that college really isn't a joke; but a black comedy.

Right now I'm stuck in between majors, Liberal Arts (LOLHIPSTERFAG) and my true calling, Funeral Services.

My advisor told me straight up to just drop the idea of Funeral Services and focus on my Lib Arts degree with a minor in English.

I can't do a desk job, I have no intention of looking for a job.

Basically, I want to write a really engaging (see : bestselling), good, (see : bestselling), novel and hopefully get it published (see : farfetched dream).

So aside from all the vampire/beast/romance bullshit, what's hot and marketable?

If possible, I really would like to publish a brutally honest short story or novella about life as modern day fuck-up and see if any publishers bite.

If it helps, my literary tastes range from Chuck Palahniuk, Anthony Burgess, Jeff Lindsay (more like the first Dexter Novel), That one famous series about that wizard with a facial scar, Eoin Colfer, Vonnegut, Dahl, and Christopher Moore.

any ideas?

>> No.1475140

Become an embalmer, work for 5 or 10 years. Then write a kick-ass novel about a kid who dropped out of school to work in Funeral Services against his advisor's advice, and all the crazy stuff you saw.

>> No.1475159

>Take a non-descript every-day/down-in-the-dumps kid (typically male) that most people can identify with.
>Make interesting shit happen to them (this is where you need to come up with an original idea)
>Slowly reveal that the kid was special all along (this appeals to everyone's inner thinking that deep down they're better than everyone else).
>Make sure there's some romance

Congratulations you've just written a best-selling teen-novel.

>> No.1475162

>>1475140

This.

But be sure to do stuff readers would like, such as having sex next to a corpse.

>> No.1475657

lol fags think good stories are original.

Ab-original.

>> No.1475666

Get a job writing for a local paper, if you want to write you might as well get a job which will improve your skills at it