[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 600x751, 27ARISTOTLE-articleLarge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14750917 No.14750917 [Reply] [Original]

What is the point of science without Aristotle's four causes? Everything would essentially be happening for no reason at all. Denial of Aristotle's four causes leads us to logical nihilism yet no one in society seems to acknowledge this. Society itself would be a social construction -- morality would have no meaning, yet we continue marching on pretending that we're doing the 'right thing'.

>> No.14750920

That's a bust of my boy Aeschylus. Aristotle was not that handsome

>> No.14751218

What I never understand about neo-Thomists/neo-Aristotelians is their justification for restoring formal and final causation to nature. They always say "look what amazing things you can do with it!" Sure, granted, it's a versatile concept. But that doesn't make it correct. What is the actual justification for the real existence of forms in nature? I want to defeat the mechanists, who reduce nature to efficient causation, as much as anybody. But that doesn't mean I can arbitrarily reify any alternative ontological scheme I like.