[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 325x500, 41YWLYca0SL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14707128 No.14707128 [Reply] [Original]

Is it any good? I know Peterson is a meme, but I my life is a mess and I need to change it

>> No.14707135

>>14707128
It’s a start

>> No.14707153

>>14707128
It's just more ramblings of a severely hypocritical and out of touch boomer

>> No.14707156

Yes, it's good.

Stand up straight with your shoulders back
Peterson famously starts his book talking about lobsters. Some of the main ideas are: hierarchies are not a made up concept of capitalism to oppress certain groups. Hierarchies exist in nature, in all species. There are primitive areas in our brains that are dedicated to determining where we and others are in the social hierarchy. He discusses how we are affected by organic chemicals such as dopamine, serotonin etc, some of which can be slightly stimulated by standing up straight. By standing up straight, you are also symbolically changing your attitude towards life to one that is more virtuous.

Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
This is an important section of the book. It's here that Peterson explains one of his main philosophical ideas: Order and Chaos. Order is when our expectations are met, it's what we know, it's stability. On the other side, Order is also conformism, or when pushed too far, it's also dictatorship and tyranny. Chaos is the unknown, it's randomness, it's when our expectations are not met. But it's also the opportunities, the potential and the improvement. Thus, the Way of Life is to stand with one foot in the Chaos and the other in the Order.

Make friends with people who want the best for you
Some experiments shows that often when you insert a problematic person in a productive, harmonious group, instead of the person following the good example and getting better, the whole group begins to degrade. Worse yet is when there's a group of problematic persons, motivated by resentment they will sabotage anything that is good and incentivize what is bad. People who want the best for you will not comply and accept your self-corruption, they will tell the harsh truth and confront you.

Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
Here Peterson criticizes the modern ideas that are completely against any form of authority and punishment in regards to parenting. These ideas are specially attractive and convenient to parents that are afraid of any form of confrontation, people with agreeableness personality traits. Love and repression of creativity are often used as a justification for the aforementioned lack of confrontation of bad behaviors. If you don't teach your kids how to properly behave socially, other people will surely do it in the future, and probably not in a nice way.

Be precise in your speech
When the world is in Order, in our Being everything around us is a simplified, well understood, model of reality. When the world is in Chaos, the illusion of simplicity is lifted and we can truly see the complexity of everything and we get overwhelmed. The only way to bring back Order is through a precise speech, asserting one specific element at a time.

12 Rules for Life is a good self-help book. It's not deep but also definitely not so shallow (Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't).

>> No.14707159

>>14707135
/thread

Had a friend introduce it to me last year when I was at an extremely low point in my life last year and it helped create a new perspective for me on my situation.

>> No.14707160

>>14707128
seems to unironically help quite a lot of people somehow.

>> No.14707170

>>14707128
Just read it and see where you go from there, I can say from experience that cleaning up and maintaining your immediate environment helps and according to people who post him, he says the same thing so he's probably worth the read.

>> No.14707203

>>14707153
cringe

>> No.14707240

>>14707128
If you need jabberwocky from a walking contradiction to tell you to tidy up your domicile rather than knuckling-down with some humility, by all means, read it.

>> No.14707292

Jordan Peterson didn't go against his convictions. Seeking professional help and taking prescribed medication IS cleaning his neurological organic chemicals room. Unfortunately he had a paradoxical reaction and physical addiction withdraw effects such as extreme anxiety. Seeking professional help once more in Russia is also cleaning his room.

One of his rules is "Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping". Would you help someone you care for by telling the person not to seek professional help? Heck no.

>> No.14707349

>>14707160
It's a book for people who's parents did a poor job imparting basic life skills.

>> No.14707666
File: 42 KB, 480x571, weird lobster shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14707349
>It's a book for people who's parents did a poor job imparting basic life skills
THIS!
Everything in 12 rules I was taught by my family. It the most basic human skills you can think of. It's the most basic common sense, which nobody seems to have these days.
If you have no concept of adulting, if you can't take care of life's most basic elements, you may find this book useful.

>> No.14707709

>>14707240
DAMN

>> No.14707736

>>14707156
this is a great review, thanks anon

>> No.14707737

>>14707135
fpbp
It's by no means profound or comprehensive, but it's a good entry point.

>> No.14708144

>>14707240
What exactly is contradictory about his work and his current battles with addiction? I think you just haven't actually genuinely read/listened to a word the man's said in good faith and are attributing some sort of "bootstraps" meme onto him. His message is much more "nobody else can fix it for you so you might as well try" than anything about making yourself into the ubermensch as is often attributed to him.

>> No.14708307

>>14707128
>I know Peterson is a meme
He's only a meme because people attributed to him something along the lines of "Foremost Public Intellectual of the 21st Century" and were sorely disappointed when that turned out not to be the case.
Also he doesn't hate black people and doesn't say the the Jews rule the world so /pol/ unironically thinks he's a CIA plant or something.

>> No.14708634

>>14707128
Like Nietzsche, JBP had a hard time taking care of himself. He's also heady, so combine those, and he appeals to internet nerds. But, like he, Nietzsche, and other chaos-chasers, you will not find stability except one on the verge of a breakdown.

Three much simpler rules are 1. Consume less information, 2. Prioritize accepting what you already have/your past, 3. Stay grounded in the physical.

>> No.14708640

There is nothing in there that you don't already know you should be doing. If you need it to come from a paternalistic figure for you to act on it then it is alright I guess...

>> No.14708643

can i get a quick rundown on what the 12 rules are exactly?

>> No.14708655

It is a self-help book. Nothing wrong with it but that is all it is. It is also not going to give you a meaning in life or anything. It will keep you busy in a way. At worst you will gas light yourself.

>> No.14708659

>>14708643
>Rule 1 Stand up straight with your shoulders back
>Rule 2 Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping
>Rule 3 Make friends with people who want the best for you
>Rule 4 Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today
>Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
>Rule 6 Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world
>Rule 7 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
>Rule 8 Tell the truth-or, at least, don't lie
>Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don't
>Rule 10 Be precise in your speech
>Rule 11 Do not bother children when they are skateboarding
>Rule 12 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

>> No.14708671

>>14708659
>rule 11
?

>> No.14708673

>>14707128
Peterson in general is good for self-improvement and clinical psychology treatments.
His Philosophy and theory is very lacking, but he does his job, helping people, well.

I find his lectures, videos and especially his interviews with other Psychologists and Neuroscientists much more useful than this book though. 12 Rules for Life is way too simplistic and light for the average /lit/ reader. I read it all and got like only 2 good points that can not be found by watching YouTube.

>> No.14708705

>>14707156
Be precise in your speech is the best one imo. It is about projecting into the world what you actually feel, in full honesty, without hiding yourself, and as precisely as possible. It is creating as much as expressing, and creating in full, authentic honesty. Taking those vague ideas we have floating around, giving them shape and letting them rise to the surface of reality. I love the creative aspect of this rule which should be obvious but I never do.

>> No.14708710

>>14708671
Unless you dislike skateboarding

>> No.14708721

>>14708705

>Be precise in your speech
>so like there's this dragon and it's time moving forward and the only way to beat it is by...something

>> No.14708735
File: 54 KB, 900x886, Until JBP is gone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14707159
>Had a friend introduce it to me last year when I was at an extremely low point in my life last year
This is what always scared me the most about him - that he was a charlatan that was playing pied piper for the disenfranchised and downtrodden. Firstly, if he had not collapsed of his own chagrin, I fear what his final objective was over people like you. Secondly, I suspect that these charlatans fill a space to make sure that we are appeased, so that we do not seek a true philosopher. He was never going to uncover a profound truth. He was always on watch to keep us at bay.

>> No.14708751

>>14708721
Yes, a dragon is a typical archetype and he is trying to explain it in his speech.

>> No.14708768

I got this as a birthday gift. I was expecting nothing, and wish that was what I received instead. Imagine receiving a self-help book by some fucking internet famous (((controversial))) pill popping leaf for your birthday when you're past the age of expecting birthday gifts anyway. I have not opened it nor will I, so egregious was the insult. The fact I received this is probably quite telling, but I can't think of a scenario where a reasonable person would feel anything but insulted by this.
Take me now, God.

>> No.14708769

>>14708705
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK3SC3JNVhY

>> No.14708773

>>14708144
>What exactly is contradictory about his work and his current battles with addiction?
Strawman argument. When dconstructed it leaves:
>What exactly is contradictory about his work?
Which would have been a legitimate question that I would answer by making an example of how he decries tribal in-group preference for some people and supports it for others.

>> No.14708808

>>14708768
>The fact I received this is probably quite telling
judging by the fact that you didn't read it yet still have an opinion on it, i suppose the giver thought you were retarded and that the book might help

>> No.14708818

>>14707156
>this pile of shit is a pretty good pile of shit

>> No.14708849
File: 50 KB, 480x600, 480px-Vasily_Perov_-_Портрет_Ф.М.Достоевского_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14708735
>his final objective was over people like you.

People who criticise him for having some sort of hidden intentions really have not truly tried to engage with his work. He has stated many times what his main concerns are and why he does what he does and it is obvious to anyone paying attention that he truly believes what he says, even if he is mistaken. Of course he is wrong in many things, that he is ignorant on Marxist theory and that he is not a Philosopher in the professional sense. But the guy is honest and transparent as fuck and openly lives by his ideals. He is obsessed with two things: Totalitarian regimes (inspired by the neuroticism he experienced during the Cold War) and the chaos/order dichotomy (which he specialized in academically). As an Jungian psychologist he has tried to analyze archetypes, and that led him to religious text analysis, from where he derives his theories. He found a connection between envy and suffering (thanks Dovstoyevsky), which usually translates into malevolence that is natural in all of us. He believes so strongly that he can diminish suffering by preventing envy that he usually goes out of his field, which understandably angers some left-wing thinkers who genuinely like to point fingers at the wealthy. You can disagree with Peterson, you can point at his ignorance in various things, but the guy is not trying to control people for some evil hidden motives, quite the opposite.

>> No.14708858

I NEED HELP
JUST LOOK AT ME I'M NOT LIVING LIKE THE COOL PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND IN THE TELEVISIONMOVIES
I NEEEEEED REAL HELP

CAN SOME ONE SAY SOME STUFF TO ME?
ANYTHING WILL DO JUST AS LONG AS ITS EASY FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND AND TELLS ME I'M BAD BUT NOT TO BAD IN A REALLY INDIRECT WAY

OH MY GOD THANK YOU THAT HELPED ME SO MUCH
THAT WAS THE HELP I NEEDED
I FEEL A LITTLE BETTER NOW BUT I HAVE ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS
BUT THANKS FOR COMING DOWN TO MY LEVEL TO HELP ME

>> No.14708869

>>14708849
>HE'S HONEST AND TRANSPARENT
>I CAN JUST TELL BECAUSE HE SAYS SOME EASY TO DIGEST STUFF THAT I WANTED TO HEAR
>I WROTE THIS PARAGRAPH, I'M BECOMING SOMETHING OF AN INTELLECTUAL MYSELF
>JORDAN PETERSON GOOD TRUST ME, ME REAL BOY

>> No.14708873

>>14708858
>>14708869
just a friendly reminder that there's no cure for being a midwit

>> No.14708875

>>14708869
"I AM SILLY"

>> No.14708909

>>14708873
>LOOK AT THIS BAD BOY HE NEEDS HELP BUT HE SAYS MY HELPER-FATHER IS BAD
>HE THINKS HE DOESN'T NEED HELP! THAT MEANS HE THINKS HE'S BETTER THAN ME! NONONO WE CAN'T HAVE THAT, I KNOW THE PERFECT NAME FOR THIS BAD BOY TO PUT HIM WHERE HE BELONGS IN HELPER-FATHER'S HIERARCHY

>> No.14708936

>>14708909
odd lack of self awareness
seek help

>> No.14708942

>>14708936
>REPENT AND APOLOGIZE TO HELPER-FATHER
>YOU NEED HIS HELP(TM) IT IS OFFICIAL AND PURE
>YOU DENY THE TRUTH OF HELPER-FATHER? WOW YOU'RE SELF UNAWARE

>> No.14709049

>>14707666
I was treated more or less as slave while growing up at dad's farm, and seeing my mom humiliated or struck by my dad was a normal, everyday thing
I know hot to 'adult' but also can't hide a fact that I'm a neurotic mess

>> No.14709066

>>14708849
>But the guy is honest and transparent as fuck and openly lives by his ideals.
He is a Prager U pawn and he shills against nationalism for everyone except Israel. This is hypocritical and disingenuous.

>> No.14709253

>>14707666
>adulting
What would your poor mother think of you using that word?

>> No.14709260

>>14707128
juden peterstein

>> No.14709310

>>14707128
Read Brainlock instead. The old boomer saw about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps (which is basically what JBP's book is) is never followed with anything actionable. It's all "what" and no "how". I mean just look at this >>14707156. Who doesn't already know this stuff? We all know what the "rules for life" are, the problem isn't ignorance, it's compliance. And you can see that in JBP himself, who has openly admitted that he wrote the book because he doesn't always comply with his own rules and he wanted to have them set down to serve as a reminder.

You can't just effect change through sheer force of will or through direct reason. Even Socrates talks about this. Aristotle says virtue requires practice. What is practice? Practice is habit, conditioning. But to change our existing conditioning requires more than just willpower or you'll remiss after a couple of days or weeks. You need to create a permanent change in the brain, so you can create permanent change in your behavior. You can do that either by radically changing your environment or by some sort of psychological strategy.

>> No.14709341
File: 175 KB, 1080x846, 1564485488762.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14707292
The problem i see is that the west is dominated by jewish bullshit and as a result all the institututions are not there to help people but to program them. I mean we live in a place where we have fluride in the water, we get told take these drugs that cause side effects we are told to act like slaves and like it.
Again an issue you treat yourself like someone who is responsible for helping ok what happens if other people sabotage you and you cant go to the police and the medical system is also not helping you and you have 0 access to things that can help you or know where to start. There are situations where you can be absolutely fucked through no fault of your own due to the circumstance of where you were born and the political climate.
Jordan basically has no clue about this and he also serves jews and other bad people like John Podesta. His ideas are basically perpetuting the bullshit that you can depend on the government instittutions and corperate america because thats what was successful before but the reality has shifted and they no longer care about helping people.
Jordan can never understand this process or simply is unwilling to acknowledge it because his job is to brainwash his readers into living in a corrupt society.
I mean for fucks sake look up the 432 vs 440 musical conspiracy. Look up abortions. Look up declining testosterone rates. We dont live in a good society and there are too many problems that its basically designed to spiritually and physically crush anyone who isnt part of the established elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPI6mv2O-U&t=882s

Yeah go clean up your fucking room when this is going on. Ill clean up my room by getting an Ak47 and shooting dr peterson the justincuckdeau in their unwashed penises.
Go tell victims of mk ultra to get their shit together.

>> No.14709421

>>14707128
Read the bible

>> No.14709435

>>14708942
I feel sorry for you.

>> No.14709590

>>14709435
this is the last resort of the judaized subhuman
when every non-argument has been rejected and they can't squeeze satisfaction from any aspect of the situation, they return to the fundamental sanctimony that motivates their retarded being:
I am good and I can prove it by saying it makes me sad that you aren't good - after all, good people want everything to be good. That's what I've been taught is good.

there is no other explanation for their reaction
they have no concept of good or evil, they are entirely disconnected from managing their own survival, they simply consume whatever is forced in front of them, physical sustenance, morality, everything

they can't be changed by anything other than physical trauma
if you're going to go that far why not just shoot the retarded animal in the head?
there is no other solution to allow humanity to continue
these subhuman imposters will take up every inch of space and choke out all free will

tl;dr once these lost retarded subhumans are moralized into a cult you might as well just kill them because the odds that you can pry them out of their self righteousness are about one in a few million and its a waste of time anyway

to destroy the jew we have to terrorize these animals into a stampede that creates enough chaos to move without being tracked and assassinate every jew we can find
without their slaves functioning in order the jew is powerless, and they don't even realize how fragile the order of society is

or else we can just go extinct

>> No.14709650

>>14707128
the one book that normie college kids actually read

>> No.14709711
File: 1.62 MB, 498x376, 1577320708581.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14707128
>Is it any good?
No. I've read a half of it back in the day when I didn't know who Peterson was and was amazed that shit like that is considered to be wisdom nowadays.

>my life is a mess and I need to change it
I have no idea about you or your life situation but from my experience it all comes down to your role in society and metaphysical beliefs (for men).
The best advice one can get is not "clean your room" but "find your house". Once you find a society with a common higher goal and are able to be a functioning part of it - all your psychological problems seem to fade away.
It may sound too obvious but a genuine christian community is a perfect environment for this.

>> No.14709939

>>14708773
Sure man, he won't touch the JQ or pro-white activism directly with a 10 foot pole but does he need to in order to be helpful? I don't understand this mindset that every figure and person needs to be in 100% agreement on everything. I know that we live in a totalitarian snitch society where every little incongruence can be cause for getting fired and blasted in the media, but you need to take a step back and compare his efforts in our favor vs against. There are significantly more young white men that he helped away from the brink than the amount he effectively prevented towards coming towards nationalism, and we need people who are the kind of strong and capable that his works try to make people.

You're acting like a Catholic who wants young men not to read Marcus Aurelius because stoicism is incompatible with the idea of free will, while completely being incapable of acknowledging that the acceptance of suffering is the starting position of Catholicism from which it takes its first steps. JBP isn't a white nationalist, but he doesn't need to be. His work is speaking to a generation of men who want to actively take on responsibility and find meaning in their lives, and quite a few of them will end up our way directly as a result of this search he sent them on.

>> No.14710166

>>14707128
Stop reading jordan redditson

>> No.14711031

>>14709066
Where is the source of him specifically allowing nationalism in Israel?
I do want him to address the Jewish question one day, so far he only mentions IQ and envy, and that he has Jewish colleagues (in academia who doesn't?) but I don't think he has specifically defended nationalism in Israel

>> No.14711045

>>14708634
Nice. I like this.

>> No.14712446
File: 6 KB, 225x225, index(2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is all you need

>> No.14712520

>>14708671
dude just stop bothering children when they're skateboarding how hard can that possibly be

>> No.14712606

>>14712520
Is there any authors that hate children with passion?