[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 350x252, burnyam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1468750 No.1468750 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, I need help ending a story that you're probably just going to hate anyway, but it's worth a shot because, well, I want my stories to get better, and it's annoying to put time into a story and then have no idea how the hell to end it. Here's a link.
http://manicalhippieboy.deviantart.com/art/incomplete-193998542

I guess what I'm looking for is this: even if you aren't a writefag, what makes an ending good?

>> No.1468781

>and its at least 45 minutes away
>its

Some minor interpunction mistakes, but overall you kept me interested.

Oh. That wasn't what you asked. I have no idea how you should end it. It's usually good to know where a story is going when you start writing it though.

>> No.1468785

End it with a vaguely unsatisfying minor event that provides no detail on the lives of the characters beyond the story.

>> No.1468789

>>1468781
I had ideas, but each one was shitter than the last. Like, what makes an ending good? One that makes you think? Abrupt? Cliched? Prolounged? All of the above?

>> No.1468846

sorry, i just cant be bothered to read it all right now.

however, i do want to say that the first few paragraphs kept me reading. i am pretty sure i will enjoy wasting some time reading through this.

it is well written.

>> No.1468861

>>1468846
Thanks, but there's no ending so don't read it excepting a ending. It kind of just cuts off, which is where I need help.
I've tried some endings, but they've all been pretty poorly recieved

>> No.1468867

>>1468861
*expecting
*received
...wow, sorry about that.

>> No.1468993

>>1468861
well, i guess i could be bothered after all.

i just read it, it is very good, the last part is somewhat weird for me, i am not too big a fan of "normal" stuff becoming "abnormal" in a story.
i still enjoyed it.
also, something that bothered me a little bit was the use of "stuff" and "shit" too often. it might be better if you describe the stuff/shit a little bit more, at times, always makes me feel more part of the story, when you have a bit of an idea how it looks, you try to create an image of the situation faster then when you know nothing at all. at least, that is my opinion.

for an ending... i am still thinking, the twist at the end kinda caught me off guard.

a "it was just a dream" ending would be too cliche i think.
if you wanna continue writing, i would like this event leading to a parallel world or something like that. you have been in the "normal" world the whole time and would only have a very short period with special stuff, ending it now is a move that could leave some people disliking your story. it is still up to you of course, but i would agree having at least a few more paragraphs where you have both special and non special stuff going on.

>> No.1469050
File: 155 KB, 1168x730, boynexttomirrorog0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stuff and shit are quite vague, and I agree with the earlier poster that you should be more descriptive. So far this seems like a great starting chapter to a short book. I would want to know more about the characters and their lives outside of camp, backstory, you've gotten me interested. Mostly because its summer camp boys, and would it hurt to add some homo-eroticism?

>> No.1469059

>>1469050
nothing against gay people (no, really)
but i hope that last line is a joke.

its a camp with 13 year olds... i don't think it would fit the general theme.

>> No.1469073

>>1469050
>moving in on my territory
>>1469059
actually children and humans in general are both curious and sexual creatures

I'm not saying sexuality should be forced upon them of course

just saying i remember those days

>> No.1469078

I didn't realize the age of the current campers, it just said teenagers, and the thirteen year old children were only mentioned in the memory of the accident that Roddy witnessed. I think you could really expand this whole story out a lot more, it is enjoyable to read but I really don't know much regarding the main character, needs more flash, man.

>> No.1469090

>>1469073
neither do i want to suggest that men is not a curious race.

i guess you could make a gay fanfic if you want to, but it probably wouldn't fit too well in the general story, we already had one surprise (the super natural disappearing of mat), i believe that another event that has no hints whatsoever in the previous text might be a bit too much, especially if the text will be over soon.

>> No.1469102

>>1469078
i guess you are right about the fact that the age was only mentioned in regards to the past. i assumed, maybe wrongfully so, that it would still hold in the present.

and yes, maybe a little bit more details about the main character could help. still, i didn't have much problems feeling the main character, it was mostly the little detail about the environmental setting that made me unable to imagine it.