[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 847 KB, 1716x2414, haroldbloom4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1468157 No.1468157 [Reply] [Original]

I figure some of you guys are in liberal arts colleges that can give me some advice on this reputation bullshit.

>Highly competitive student
>But insecure and no money as fuck
>Apply to Smith College because they give out shit ton monies and the give fucking gorgeous, spatial singles to even first years
>Get in early decision, don't have to pay anything for college for 4 years
>Now start really looking into majors
>Oh god
>They are ranked high in all these college ranking books and shit
>But none of their majors seem to be as well respected as any of those of similar colleges: Wesleyan, Hamilton, Bates, etc.
>Oh shit
>

Should I try to do fuckawesome first quarter and then transfer to a different college? I plan on going into academia so this is kind of a massive fuck up. Anyone know if Smith English Lit major is of ANY value at fucking all? At least compared to similar colleges?

FUCK.

>> No.1468160

why don't you try asking >>>/adv/

>> No.1468165

>they are ranked high
>alumnae: Sylvia Plath
>14th best liberal arts college
Stop being a fag.

>> No.1468169

>>1468160
Because /lit/ tends to be English majors, and I've found that most of /lit/ attends lib arts colleges. Most of /adv/ is 15 years old and will probably never have heard any of these names before.
Besides, it's an English major, maybe still slightly related to /lit/?

I'll delete my shit in a few minutes if no one posts.

>> No.1468176

your undergrad program doesn't really matter for academia, it's the grad school (and far more importantly, the actual work you do) that counts. And just fyi, academic career prospects in literature are dire due to the overflow of candidates.