[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 569x681, Plotinus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14678254 No.14678254 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.14678278

>>14678254
No, that is impossible.

>> No.14678283

>>14678254
ya u dont need to read plotinus the neoplatonists are cool in an insulated way but overrated in terms of influence

>> No.14678290

>>14678278
>No, that is impossible.
fpbp

>>14678283
So they didn't have much influence on Augustine? I'll be reading Plotinus pretty soon after Augustine but I just feel like I need some grounding in all this reading, which Christianity does for me.

>> No.14678297

>>14678254
You may have a slight difficulty in reading the Enneads if you are not familiar with the Platonic tradition. Furthermore, you must be careful in choosing a translation, for there are some disastrous blunders out there.
I'd recommend you to read Alcinous' "The Handbook of Platonism." Short, concise and excellent. More than enough to be able to read Augustine and comprehend his background.

>> No.14678334

>>14678297
I've already read the Greeks and I'm onto the Romans, about to read Augustine's Confessions then City of God, after which I will begin reading a some Hermetic and Neoplatonic texts. Or should I read Plotinus before Augustine?

The other anon said Plotinus didn't really influence Augustine too largely.

I don't usually like secondary but might consider reading it. As long as it doesn't spoil the joy of reading the neoplatonists for myself, that is very important.

>> No.14678338

>>14678297
And what would you consider the best translation of the Enneads?

>> No.14678384 [DELETED] 

>>14678297
>>14678334
In my opinion, if you are familiar with Plato, there's no need to read the Enneads before reading Augustine. But, perhaps, a few chapters of it would help: or perhaps even one- On Beauty, and maybe On the One and the Good.

I haven't read Plotinus in English, with the exception of a few excerpts. But, in comparing different translations in my language, I've encountered some true monstrosity- there are paragraphs that understood completely different by the translators. I've could try and find examples, but that would take a while, so pardon that I will not do so. Apparently, it's because the original Enneads are difficult even for one acquainted with the greek, and, moreover, Plotinus wrote in employing a multitude of ellipsis.
With that being said, Algis Uždavinys recommended Stephen McKenna for a poetic and accurate translation- with few mistakes- and some other individual for a more rigid, circumspect translation; you'll find his statement on his book with "The Heart of Plotinus", if I'm not mistaken. Having read the it a few citations McKenna's work, I do too recommend it. Thomas Taylor- partial- translation seems to be quite famous, deservedly so, apparently.
Hope this may help you.

>> No.14678401 [DELETED] 

>>14678297 (You)
>>14678334
In my opinion, if you are familiar with Plato, there's no need to read the Enneads before reading Augustine. But, perhaps, a few chapters of the Enneads would make the reading of The Confessions more pleasurable: or perhaps even one- On Beauty, and maybe On the One and the Good.

I haven't read Plotinus in English, with the exception of a few excerpts. But, in comparing different translations in my language, I've encountered some true monstrosities- there are paragraphs that are understood completely different by the translators. I've could try and find examples, but that would take a while, so pardon that I will not do so. Apparently, it's because the original Enneads are difficult- truly- even for one greatly acquainted with the greek, and, moreover, Plotinus wrote in employing a multitude of ellipsis.

With that being said, Algis Uždavinys recommended Stephen McKenna for a poetic and accurate translation- with few mistakes- and some other individual for a more rigid, circumspect translation; you'll find his statement on his book with "The Heart of Plotinus", if I'm not mistaken. Having read the it a few citations McKenna's work, I do too recommend it. Thomas Taylor- partial- translation seems to be quite famous, deservedly so, apparently.

Hope this may help you.

>> No.14678416

>>14678297
>>14678334
In my opinion, if you are familiar with Plato, there's no need to read the Enneads before reading Augustine. But, perhaps, a few chapters of the Enneads would make the reading of The Confessions more pleasurable: or perhaps even one- On Beauty, and maybe On the One and the Good. Maybe On Love and The Three Initial Hypostases too.

I haven't read Plotinus in English, with the exception of a few excerpts. But, in comparing different translations in my language, I've encountered some true monstrosities- there are paragraphs that are understood completely different by the translators. I've could try and find examples, but that would take a while, so pardon that I will not do so. Apparently, it's because the original Enneads are difficult- truly- even for one greatly acquainted with the greek, and, moreover, Plotinus wrote in employing a multitude of ellipsis.

With that being said, Algis Uždavinys recommended Stephen McKenna for a poetic and accurate translation- with few mistakes- and some other individual for a more rigid, circumspect translation; you'll find his statement on his book with "The Heart of Plotinus", if I'm not mistaken. Having read a few citations of McKenna's work, I do too recommend it. Thomas Taylor- partial- translation seems to be quite famous, deservedly so, apparently.

Hope this may help you. Pardon me for the deleting this answer a few times, but I had to correct a few errors.

>> No.14678417

>>14678290
i cant remember if it was augustine that said something like
>in plotinus plato lived again
but i really dont think neoplatonism was a huge influence, if anything it would be the other way around. with both of them obviously integrating a lot from platonism

>> No.14678485

>>14678416
>Apparently, it's because the original Enneads are difficult- truly- even for one greatly acquainted with the greek, and, moreover, Plotinus wrote in employing a multitude of ellipsis.
What a chad.

>Stephen McKenna
Wait, you mean t-that Mckenna? The hippy?

>Hope this may help you. Pardon me for the deleting this answer a few times, but I had to correct a few errors.
Didn't even notice, heh, thanks anon. I gather I should probably read Plotinus first, none the less you've helped me immensely, I will follow your advice.

>but i really dont think neoplatonism was a huge influence, if anything it would be the other way around.
Wait, how?

>> No.14678514

>>14678485
It's MacKenna*, sorry for that!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_MacKenna

>> No.14678540

>>14678485
The hippy McKenna is Terrence

>> No.14678754

>>14678514
>>14678540
Ahhh thank you.

>> No.14678766

>>14678254

You can read Augustine before flushing your toilet.

>> No.14678811

>>14678254
Idk about you but I havent read any philosophy pieces and I'm thoroughly enjoying Saint Augustines confessions . Am I doing something wrong?

>> No.14678826

>>14678811
>I'm thoroughly enjoying ... Am I doing something wrong?
Yes

>> No.14678857

>>14678826
Why cant you enjoy self reflecting anon?

>> No.14678905

>>14678416
>>14678485
Uzdavinys reads like a coked-out hack. Get the Gerson edition of Plotinus.

>> No.14678915

>>14678905
Surely Uzdavinys books aren't an easy read, but that's a hyperbole, anon. His books are great, although his writing is convoluted.- in the english translation, at least.

>> No.14678971

>>14678905
>Gerson edition of Plotinus
>MacKenna
Will buy both anon, I thank you dearly.

>>14678915
Will buy his book anyway.

>> No.14679242

>>14678254
Augustine's view on God is essentially monadic and plotinian, so it would probably enhance understanding to read him

>> No.14679372

>>14678915
His books aren't great. There's no analysis in them. He's just making disparate connections that amount to nothing substantial. Religio perennis is a meme. Just another hack who pretends he knows 8 languages but is in fact a dilettante like Rene Guenon.