[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 454 KB, 1346x1946, tibor-sulyok-kar9-f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14654445 No.14654445 [Reply] [Original]

This seems impractical edition
What have you read that was utterly ridiculous in a good way?

Group Reading For February (113 users)
Small Gods - Terry Pratchett
Chateau Cascade - Dusty Ridgeman (Chat with him LIVE!)
https://discord.gg/KWPCM7m
https://mega.nz/#F!O1cFiKaS!hPf1KFnauX7PSaM5PJE3QA

What does /sffg/ think about [book]? (94 users)
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg
>>14635086

Charts
https://mega.nz/#F!QyJVEQpL!utXEIGMAprWxM9GMGLxxtg

Resources
https://pastelink.net/sffglit

Threads
>>14635080
>>14611881
>>14593603
>>14576261

>> No.14654455

Cradle Summary, books 1-7:
Mostly spoilerfree.

Formula for each book: New Area -> Train -> Boss -> End
If you don't want to read something that is mostly training every book with fight scenes now and again, then you shouldn't read these.
Almost all of it is heavily inspired by anime, manga, videogames and of course Chinese web novels. Apparently anyway since this is the closest to that I've read.
I don't think I've read anything that is more shounen anime-like from a western author.
It is very much a western light novel series in most ways except for not having a few interior illustrations.
It's currently on book 7, but this may be just be the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it went for 20+ volumes.
That being said, I find the books to have numerous issues with pacing, both in terms of prose and interior timekeeping.
The two main characters personalities are: "I must train!" with one of them boasting about being illiterate because it wasn't relevant to their training. Which is to say that they have about as much personality as Goku from DBZ, if that.
Lack of introspection seems to be a global problem, as it seemingly prevents many from becoming more powerful.
It's best to not dwell on the specifics of the characters, the worldbuilding, the mechanics or anything else.
I don't quite understand why people have expressed their displeasure in the thread about the last book. I guess because it deviates from the formula a bit, but not that much overall.
The bloopers are silly, but anyone who becomes upset about them is even sillier.

Rating: It's fun and mostly for the relative novelty for a western series. I've read a few others that have a moderately similar set-up though. I'll continue reading them as they are released. 3/5

Other silliness:
I felt that Orthos's size was inconsistent throughout based on what seemed to be the context.
Eithan's physical description wasn't at all what I thought it ought to be, based on all the other similarly described characters I've seen and read.
The one thing that most broke my suspension of disbelief was saying that there were "600 billion souls" on the planet, but apparently that was for "illustrative purposes to pay homage to Chinese web novels" (paraphrasing). Because that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense given everything else known.

Not quite to the character limit for a post yet, but this'll do for now.

TL;DR:
https://twitter.com/WilliamWight/status/1206228995022446594

>> No.14654459

>>14654445
What's the GOAT work of science-fiction?

>> No.14654465

>>14654459
Tbh Citizen of the Galaxy is up there, It doesn't get the love it deserves, not the best but really good. Electric Sheep is OG, and The hitchhikers guide is a classic.

>> No.14654471 [DELETED] 

I'm sick of failing at my life and settling for less. If I'm not published by 30, I'm going to kill myself

>> No.14654478

>>14654459
science fiction is about ideas, and there are lots of ideas to explore; there is no GOAT

>> No.14654484

>>14654478
there should be one that is the most compelling in every department as well as innovative for its time.

>> No.14654486

>>14654471
can you please stop posting your blog

>> No.14654498

>>14654471
If you do not already have an agent reading your manuscripts you have zero chance of getting published within the next three years. Might as well get a head start.

>> No.14654511
File: 123 KB, 294x475, Magus_Rex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14654459

>> No.14654520

>>14654511
oh wait, those aren't hooves...

>> No.14654525

Again, why did you lie and tell me the Books of Babel were garbage?

>> No.14654547

Here is something I jotted down the other day, what do y'all think?

Assuming you know the Hero's journey, take this for contrast.
THE NON HERO NON JOURNEY (Blade runner style story)

Normal birth/childhood
No call to adventure only a job to be done
No mentor, only themselves
No special weapon only there will
No threshold, only normality for their world
No Trials only a job and daily life
No achievement, only what was normal to do
No Reconciliation
No return home, Death

This seems to be the lay of in a lot of sic-fi I've read. Its more, as Vonnegut would say "Shakespearean".

>> No.14654552

>>14654525
The same reason why you are asking someone who will never read this post.

>> No.14654554

>>14654547
layout in a lot of*

>> No.14654560

>>14654547
That's called a literary novel.
Nothing happens and plot is irrelevant.

>> No.14654568

>>14654560
>That's called a literary novel.
literally never heard of this before, thanks.

>> No.14654578

>>14654568
>genrefag discovers literature
today is a good day

>> No.14654587

>>14654455
Speaking of repetitive books I recently dropped The Saga of Recluce.
>Some critics have become unhappy with perceived repetition. In particular, the stories of Lerris, Creslin, Dorrin, Cerryl, Lorn, and Rahl all seem to follow the same basic mold, of a young mage forced to "find himself" while learning to harness his power in ways other people discourage. Modesitt disputes this, claiming that (including his multiple non-Recluce novels) that "more than 60% of my books feature characters... older than 30 and more than 40% feature characters older than 40". He credits the criticism to a belief that "people confuse characters who learn something with young people discovering themselves"

He missed the boat completely. Who cares what age they are, and he often doesn't specify. They all do and learn the same things.

>Mage doesn't follow rules blindly
>Exiled
>Mage was right, following blindly is stupid
>Mage becomes a well balanced person
>Mage saves those who exiled him and forgives them
>Still exiled

>> No.14654598

>>14654587
I've only read a couple of Recluce, and I agree, but also I don't mind. I'll probably read more eventually. I've read a couple of his non-Recluce as well.

>> No.14654608
File: 334 KB, 1014x605, fat cow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14654459
Probably dune.
There will be plenty of contrarian motivated (you)'s. But dune was the first scifi book I ever read that believebly defined human nature within its universe.
Most other scifi classics are influenced by their time, as in you can recognize certain prejudices, politics etc. All those little things that leached into the writings as a byproduct of the time period the author lived in. This is especially true for modern scifi. So many of them have progressive ambitions of utopia/dystopia that are obviously just liberal-minded fantasies.
Dune feels timeless in comparison.

>> No.14654609

Reposting from old dead thread
>>14651192
The weird parts are the good parts. But in m opinion, the weirdness is wasted on the two boring humans, who make zero effort to investigate the weirdness. Rachel doesn't want to know anything, and Wick doesn't want to share what he knows. So every moment where things appear to be developing, stops short and resets. I wanted to give Rachel the benefit, that she was just too shocked by Borne to ask the right questions. Or maybe she was trying to supress Borne or something. But she doesn't appear to have any real ethical code beyond "don't hurt kids". And she only ever asks questions when Borne insists on a matter. She's not inquisitive, or cunning, or anything really. I guess the only thing she has, is a tiny shred of humanity in that dumb brain of hers.

I only have 4 more chapters left. I'm expecting some revelations about Borne, Rachel and the company. But I don't care by this point. I don't like Rachel or Wick, and the relationship is obnoxious. The straw that broke the camel's back for me, was when Rachel killed the Magician with a rock, monologuing about how "she doesn't know me". Which is a real dumb bitch thing to think in that moment.

>> No.14654611

>>14654587
>wrote a 12-novel fantasy series in the 2010s
>threw another 4 Recluce books in too
Is this the power of having a formula?

>> No.14654620
File: 38 KB, 1597x115, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wish I had an ESL slave to write positive wiki articles for me

>> No.14654623

>>14654459
Best of the Best. A collection of sci-fi short stories.

>> No.14654634

>>14654623
I agree with you,

The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New SF
Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction (2005)

It goes by by both names. It's a good choice, I agree. I liked a lot of stories in it.

I should get around to reading The Very Best of the Best: 35 Years of The Year's Best Science Fiction (2019

>> No.14654654

>>14654455
Those whole post is 100% true.
I thought Orthos was much larger too. Like a story tall or more. But then he kept being described in ways that only makes sense for a smaller creature. Now I'm thinking he's about horse sized.

Eithan's appearance is another thing that I had to shift while reading. I got the wrong impression at first. But then later realized how much of an oddball he appears to be. Also, listening to the audiobook, it's odd reading his name. Because in the audiobook, it's pronounced A-than. But seeing the EI makes me read it like EE-than.

>> No.14654672

I need something humorous to read in addition to interesting. No Pratchet please, for some inexplicable reason I can't enjoy him

>> No.14654677

>>14654672
Robert Asprin

>> No.14654686

>>14654672
What kind of humor?

>> No.14654710

>>14654686
Any, but preferably nothing subtle

>> No.14654714

>>14654710
Horniness y/n

>> No.14654729

>>14654710
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25326486-orconomics

>> No.14654879
File: 44 KB, 322x499, Trust nobody, not even yourself.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14654445
>What have you read that was utterly ridiculous in a good way?
Dying Earth, obviously.

>> No.14654884

>>14654459
BotNS.

>> No.14654908

>>14654884
Good books, hell even shit books, have and follow a plot.

>> No.14654946

>>14654908
Are you implying that BotNS doesn't have a plot?

>> No.14654952

>>14654908
what did the freak mean by this?

>> No.14654993

>>14651802
4 months isn't enough time to get good. It's like learning a musical instrument. 4 months of guitar practice is still beginner level. Take a break. Read books on writing, listen to writing podcasts, watch videos about writing.

>>14654471
Stop being so dramatic. Disappointment is a part of life. Go read about Kandinsky's career.

>> No.14655002
File: 63 KB, 452x678, images (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14654445
Just finished pic related. It's difficult to encapsulate it but I feel like it's what you'd get if a young Stephen King ripped off American Gods

>> No.14655046

>>14654946
>>14654952
Oh there is one. He is given a mighty quest. Which he then ignores.

>> No.14655149

>>14654455
>I don't quite understand why people have expressed their displeasure in the thread about the last book. I guess because it deviates from the formula a bit, but not that much overall.

It's a fun series, I agree. And also very easy to read. But I think it's getting harder for him to write and continue the story with only 300 pages per book. Abou the last one,
He didn't finish the tournament. Yerin is unlikable, being the worst character in the book, she just moans. Lindon is still a little bitch, wants to save the valley, but refuses to fight?? makes no sense. And then it ends in a cliffhanger, so unnecessary.. And then there were rumours about book 8 being about Yerin, who would want to read that? I think he changed his mind about that tho. Clearly the worst book so far, I don't even feel like reading the next, but we'll see. You can read it in a day anyway.

>> No.14655311

>>14655149
> Yerin is unlikable, being the worst character in the book
I like her. She has unexpected dimension. You think she's going to be this ultimate edgelord, but then ends up being the voice of reason a lot of times. Or surprisingly compassionate where it matters. Her growth is going in an interesting direction, and I definitely want to know more about her and this other Sage who shares her master's blade.
I definitely don't want a whole book based on her. But splitting the next book to share her PoV for half of it would be cool.

> Lindon is still a little bitch, wants to save the valley, but refuses to fight??
Refresh me on this. What do you mean?

>And then it ends in a cliffhanger, so unnecessary..
The cliffhanger did feel a tad unnecessary. However, I also kind of understand. Because everything that happens at the end of the book will change the trajectory of events radically. Where once only Lindon and a few others got a glimpse of godhood, now everyone has been given the same revelation. Everyone will be vying for higher power now.

>> No.14655323

>see people publish their books on amazon
>barely a burger for 300+ to 1000+ pages
I guess I will keep reading/writing as a hobby then

>> No.14655410

>>14655323
I'm really not an expert on the topic but from what i can tell even niche authors with a small following can be successful enough to derive a steady income from kindle. It might not be huge but its supposedly enough to live comfortably on.

>> No.14655477

>>14654587
Nah they don't I've only read like 3 recluce books but Scion of Cyador is about an absolute sociopath rising in the military order by letting people die

>> No.14655506

Does it matter which edition of The Night Land I grab?

>> No.14655568

>>14655311
I also liked her at first, but then it felt like she was no longer a sidekick, but a secondary MC. And suddenly Lindon's story felt a bit rushed and sometimes didn't make much sense. She wins the duel and Lindon doesn't seem to care, he doesn't even want to fight in the beginning, it's not like it's to death tho. A bit uncharacteristic.
He made a financial decision by splitting the books, because this one was clearly not finished, instead we have to wait months for part 2. Maybe it's better for him, he makes more money this way, but the story is rushed now, more characters to talk about as well. He should at least add 100-200 more pages to the next books.
Also, don't you think the battles are a bit long?
That test in the island with the crowns was soooo bloated, he could use those pages.

>> No.14655579

are there any good scifi booktubers?

>> No.14655600

>>14655477
Sorry I quit after book 7. 6 consecutive rehashes is enough for me.

>> No.14655602

>>14655568
>She wins the duel and Lindon doesn't seem to care, he doesn't even want to fight in the beginning, it's not like it's to death tho. A bit uncharacteristic.
That's because they're in love, silly. He's happy for her, because he cares about her, as much as he cares about himself.
He doesn't want to fight her, because he's only thinking to avoid harming his friend.(and love interest) But he's indirectly insulting her, by not giving her a chance to fully test her power. The harder he fights, the more she appreciates him. He finally understood that, and in turn appreciates that she fought as hard as she did.

>That test in the island with the crowns was soooo bloated, he could use those pages.
Not going to lie. I kind of zoned out there, only really catching half of it. So I can't really say.

>> No.14655672

>>14655579
Since there are no good booktubers there hardly could be good scifi booktubers.

>> No.14655679

>aspiring blogger anon gets btfo
Today started good.

>> No.14655776

>>14655602
But don't you think that he doesn't even have the ambition to win? Before the tournament he acts like it's not a big deal for him. (which means it's probably not worth winning or be a uncrowned, he's going to get more from Northstrider than he could get by winning, I bet) The author is already preparing us for Lindon losing the duel, like it's a not a big moment for him, but a great thing for her, because of her mentor and now she probably goes with the sage that owns the twin blade.
But we are used to seeing Lindon getting the big goal, like the title of the book mentions, Uncrowned and then he doesn't get it, but it's the lack of will on him that kind of ruins it for me. What about the ultimate goal, his family, Sacred Valley? You would think that he would do everything to save them, including Yerin. How can he achieve that by losing here? He doesn't know about Northstrider yet.
Fuck it, this is getting confusing, we'll see when the next book comes out. What do you think will happen anyway? Who wins the tournament, Eithan or the dragon, Sopha?

>> No.14655861

So I'm about to finish Hobbs Liveship Trilogy, (just need Ship of Destiny) and kinda wanna out off dragons/magic at the side for a while and read a bit more political fantasy stuff like asoif. I was thinking about The Prince of Thorns - would that fit with my wish?

>> No.14655892

>>14655861
It's not that political. It's mostly a rewarded arrogance power trip. Walk around and kill peeps cause I'm a mad cunt.
Also it's scifi.

>> No.14655929

>>14655892
You have any recommendations?

>> No.14655954

>>14655002
I really got a Stephen King vibe from this book, specifically the abundant use of expletives to seem more 'real'.

>> No.14655959

>>14655506
no they're all shit

>> No.14655975

>>14655929
How political do you want? You should anyway try "The first law" triology if you haven't read it. It's slightly political and Glokta is BIS character

>> No.14656016

>>14655776
>But don't you think that he doesn't even have the ambition to win?
Uhh, that's hard to say, because I've already forgotten many details of the book. But I believe there was a reason for Lindon's reluctance to get involved. Like the tournament wasn't ideal for some reason I can't recall. But regardless of that, there's still the fact that he doesn't know how Northstrider will take to him owning Dross. He thinks there's a good chance that Northstrider will kill him over pillaging his creation. We, the audience knows that Northstrider considers Ghostwater and everything within to be a failed project. And old fancy he had long ago. But from Lindon's perspective, he thinks Northstrider would kill him for taking from Ghostwater. That's why the book left off on Northstrider asking about Dross. It's one of the things he feared the most at the time.

Also, if I remember correctly, Northstrider wasn't involved with the tournament at first. Only crashing the party just as it got started. Lindon was mopey about being separated from Yerin and Eithan, because they're his friends, and besides his training was going relatively well up to this point. Shifting to the Akura clan means unknown complications.
I believe Lindon's "lack of will" was nothing but misplaced chivalry. Once he got over it, he fought his hardest. It just so happens that Yerin is still stronger than him. And he's ok with that, because he cares for her and wants to see her do well too.(Besides, you can already tell Lindon will surpass her. He's just not quite up to that level yet)

As for predictions, I'm not sure if the tournament will continue from here on. Aside from the prize, nothing else seems to matter. Yerin is clearly going to receive special training. And Lindon is going to be tied to Northstrider in some way. But if the tournament actually does have a conclusion... I don't know. I don't even remember who Sophara is. I get the dragons confused. She killed the other Black Flame user, right? They're probably going to give the insta-kill weapon to an a morally gray, or morally ambiguous character, for ultimate suspense. The good guys won't use it, except on the most evil of evil. And the bad guys will just try to kill Lindon or someone he cares about.

>> No.14656020

malazan chads ww@?

>> No.14656069

>>14655929
Malazan immediately comes to mind.
The Black Company get's political after the start. The Sword of Truth gets Very political later on, which is why I dropped it.
The Emperor's Blades is fairly political. Only 3 players though.
Kushiel's Dart is religious whoring with a side of politics.
The Warded Man gets political after the first book.

>> No.14656110

>>14655959
Oh

>> No.14656402

>>14655002
American Gods was trash

>> No.14656622

>>14656020
*shatters your warren*
Heh nothing personell, Ascendant

>> No.14656623
File: 576 KB, 1440x2160, EPN-sG0WoAAkk_R.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14654445
So close yet so far away.

>> No.14656665

>>14656020

Malazanbro here.
Im in the 3rd book. When is it going to get good? Some tribal wench said "theres only two things in life i like; killing men and riding them."
Well. She rode some dude, and then his friend (the slut), but then the dude got mauled by a giant lizard.
Anyway, they gonna fight the panion domin i guess.. but there is way too much politicking between various Uberchads and they are bro'ing down major league.

I just want a big ass siege. Am i gonna get it?

>> No.14656677

>>14656623

Pornography leads straight to the gates of hell.

>> No.14656700

>>14656665
Yeah, just keep reading my man. Don't spoil yourself.

>> No.14656732

>>14656665
>When is it going to get good?

If you didn't like it by the third book, never.

>> No.14656744

>>14656623
shes perfect all for that stupid tattoo, why do girls ruin themselves with ink?

>> No.14656759

>>14654609
Yep, that's pretty much my feeling about it. The weirdness wasn't that weird (except for Mord I guess), Borne was the only really interesting bit but he's barely there, ending was eh. His Southern Reach books are much better (don't let anyone tell you the second book is boring) and I might try his earlier work.

>> No.14656800

>>14655929
Generally political fantasy is pretty shit, or at least shit in its political parts, because to write any real intrigue without asspulling outcomes you need hard limits on what characters can and can't do, and that applies not only to the magic system, but, and often more importantly, on how society actually works. So that you won't have bullshit like silky-smooth transitions of power through stabbing the previous ruler in the face, or shadowy puppetmasters somehow running fucking everything despite not being physically present and having no cadre of loyal subordinates to ensure that their orders are actually followed in their absence. But fantasy authors suck at establishing that. They also rarely have any meaningful commentary on the real-world politics. About the only political fantasy I've read in English where political parts even approach being good is ASoIaF.

>> No.14656807

>>14656016
Yes, she's that OP dragon. Lindon killed her sister in that pocket island. I believe she's an overlord already, either evolved during the tournament or she cheated her way in. There's a monarch there too I think, the one Lindon saw in the dream. Weird stuff going on actually, I think the author needs to clear some stuff up.

>> No.14656811

>>14656732

I skipped the 1st without remorse. I liked the 2nd a lot but all the chads died in there and now the 3rd im just paddlin through.

>> No.14656925

>>14656807
>I think the author needs to clear some stuff up.
No, it's just because you listen to the audiobook and miss most of what's happening.

>> No.14656939

>>14656744
What a square you are, Jesus Christ.

>> No.14656956

>>14656800
ASoIaF is still shit and the politics make no fucking sense.

>> No.14656959

>>14656925
I never listen to audiobooks, but tell me what I've missed from what I said. You don't know the dragon true rank, and you also don't know why there's a monarch there.

>> No.14656971

>>14656939

Women signal their impurity by marks of ink. Every tattoo indicates at least 20 sexual partners. You cannot refute this

>> No.14656979

>>14656939
Tattoos are just plain ugly. They're blemishes that you willingly put on your body. Indicative of a blemished mind.

>> No.14656981

>>14656971
I'm sure you know all about women bucko.

>> No.14656987

>>14656979
Fucking stormfags really did a number on this site.

>> No.14656990
File: 203 KB, 1067x1600, EMk_blUWsAQMf7X.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14656677
But it doesn't get you through it.

>>14656744
Some girls just wanna be trashy.

>> No.14657005

>>14656987
But I'm not anything like stormfront. From 1: I'm not even white. And 2, I thought this before stormfront existed. As a kid, I remember thinking tattoos were ugly, and only gross old sailors and bikers got them like in the cartoons. And then I started seeing them in real life, and it just makes me go "ew".

>> No.14657035
File: 490 KB, 1534x2048, EHK7HpXUcAARrqE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657005
You should leave girls with tats, piercing and/or self-harm scars to people who have devoted their lives to controlling this societal menace.

>> No.14657082

>>14655506
If you just want to know what happens read the Stoddard retelling, if you have more T than the average 90-year-old read the original

>> No.14657087

>>14656987
Yes, that's who is really opposed to tattoos. Neo-nazis.

>> No.14657089

>>14657035
You make it sound as if I would give them the time of day.

>> No.14657096

>>14657089
Right, it totally isn't the other way around.

>> No.14657108

>>14657087
this
it's unbelievable the level of mental gymnastics that some tripfags are able to do

>> No.14657137

>>14657096
You make it sound as if I would care if some tatted girl ignored me.

>> No.14657144
File: 609 KB, 897x1600, Screenshot_20191202-082127_2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657089
I am sure you are more than capable of defending your good name anon but I've seen it so many time - you are about to proclaim "Begone thot" at the top of your lungs but instead you find yourself on a receiving end of a blowjob (and a pretty good one at that). A lifetime of chastity gone on account of a moment of laxity.

>> No.14657158

>>14657144
Uhh... wut? I wouldn't even bother talking to a tatted girl. Let alone get to the level of a blowjob. I would just treat her politely, and ignore any advances she might give me. Nothing will happen, because nothing will have begun.

>> No.14657183
File: 179 KB, 1080x1350, lolobe4_67565703_2486145858307691_8180742368058705845_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657158
>Nothing will happen
I hope it would not - for your sake anon.
I have seen so many upstanding, morally and intellectually firm (and to be honest mildly socially inept) young men turn to putty in the hands of these tatted seductresses.

>> No.14657207

>>14657158
>>14657183
you are both retards

>> No.14657215

>>14656990
I see someone's a cutter.

>> No.14657229
File: 395 KB, 1536x2048, mu627uo9taw21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657215
Good eye on you anon.

>>14657207
Took you long enough.

>> No.14657233

>>14656959
She's not overlord. It says so. The monarch explicitly states why she is there. Stop speedreading then.

>> No.14657383

>>14656971
>>14656979
The fucking tattoo is part of the costume retards, ciri tattoos herself in the last books.

>> No.14657401

>>14657383
>ciri tattoos herself in the last books.
Yuck, why would she do that?
No, don't answer, the question is rhetorical

>> No.14657406

>>14657383
>video game books
lol. doesn't change the fact that tattoos are ugly

>> No.14657414

>>14654459
>>14654484
The Stars My Destination

>> No.14657448
File: 3.10 MB, 1824x2736, IMG_7589 - Copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657383
How horrible!
What are those Poles thinking?

>> No.14657577

>>14657448
>>14657406
>>14657401
She joined a gang of degenerates that robbed, took drugs all the time and fucked around.

They were all brutally killed by a mercenary lawman tho.

>> No.14657604
File: 2.95 MB, 1920x1080, ciri_cyberpunk.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657577
>She joined a gang of degenerates that robbed, took drugs all the time and fucked around.
Ah to be young again. I hope she shows up in CP2077.

>> No.14657658

>>14657383
>tfw you actually have to read the books to understand porn lore
Incredible. Non-readers BTFO once again.

>> No.14657908

>>14656744
that's ciri's tattoo you mong, it's a temporary

>> No.14658148

>>14657406
wrong if they are good quality, but I admit most tatoos are done cheaply and hence look bad.

>> No.14658547

>>14656069
To add to this the Foreigner series by C.J. Cherryh is mostly about a human diplomat/translator working in the service of a alien lord a couple hundred years after humanity showed up on the planet and started slowly uplifting the locals to get back into space.

>> No.14658574
File: 1.70 MB, 860x720, 1535053184762.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657604

>> No.14658697

>>14656665
>When is it going to get good
You mean book 3 or in general? Most people consider 2 to be the best book, though I think book 4 which is all about Karsa is the best.

>Am i gonna get it?
I believe the war is concluded with this book. So happy times ahead.
I don't think you're ever going to get long sieges. The Malazans have dynamite and nobody else has ever heard of it.

>> No.14658701

So I read Sixteen Ways To Defend A Walled City. I'm a bit of a Parker fan, I read the Scavenger Trilogy because this Aussie mad lad sent them to me for my birthday, and while his style is wrist-cuttingly depressing, it's also pretty good, and it feels very working-class kino.

The ending made me seethe though. Are there any cool books about sieges I can read that don't end with seethe? I also recently read The Religion which was about the Siege of Malta. I like sieges.

>> No.14658751

>>14656402
I mostly agree

>> No.14658760

>>14658701
> I like sieges.
Have you read his Engineer Trilogy?

>> No.14658797

>>14658760
I have not. Is it about sieges?

>> No.14658843

Which Fantasy series has the best battles?

>> No.14658847

>>14658797
It’s about crushing backwards medieval people under the might of mass production engineering and Jewish tricks to avenge a personal slight.

Letting the mongol princess die was totally contrived and out of character.

>> No.14659086

>>14658847
I read the first engineer book and it was really good but like anon said wrist-cuttingly depressing. I'd read the first Duelist book too, dropped the second one of those for the same reason. I would love to see more of Parker's cool sieges but he makes such lovable characters to be absolutely merciless to them and I'd just rather not that.

>> No.14659385

what do you fine folks like listening to while reading? i've personally taken a liking to dungeon synth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34kCvjg85gg

>> No.14659388

>>14659086
At this point the best subversion he could do would be to write a story with a happy ending.

>> No.14659394

>>14659388
He already does those under his real name, they're kind of forgettable.

>> No.14659400

>>14659385
I'm very sensitive to loud noises, I can't read in peace unless it's total silence or very soft low-volume music.

I recall when I was a bit younger I used to keep Fable's Oakvale theme on at all times on low volume.

>> No.14659469

>>14659400
ah-well, i feel you. i can only really stand more simpler musical pieces with few instruments like piano jazz, otherwise i instictively focus too much on the composition.

>> No.14659583

Is Malazan actually good, or just a meme book some autist keeps pushing?

>> No.14659709

>>14658843
Salvatore has tons of battles in his books. I wouldn't say they're the best (most of the heroes have improbably good luck and plot armor) but they're usually pretty good.

>> No.14659761

>>14658797
David Gemmell's Drenai Saga is about sieges. Unfortunately he was a shit author in 1984.

>> No.14659800

>>14659583
>or just a meme book some autist keeps pushing?
It's a hugely popular series. Better than ASOIF.

>> No.14660031

>>14659800
Hugely popular among a few people in this thread and nowhere else. It didn't even make it into the top 20 /sffg/ chart.

>> No.14660246

/sffg/, I'm in a lucid period right now where I can operate on the mental breakdown I've been having here in slow motion for the past few years. The issue that I can't provide my own feelings of validation for my writing but I'm I'm not sure it's healthy to post my writing elsewhere seeking validation because it might exacerbate my need for approval.

Any suggestions? (Other than to fuck off I mean. The worse this gets the more I'm going to be shitting up the thread here)

>>14658843
Depends on the kind of battle and your criteria. Mistborn has some great one-against-all battles.

If I had to single out one, I'd finger Worm, despite it being fantasy-adjacent rather than fantasy. The sense of chaos during the Leviathan battle is something for the record books

>> No.14660316

>>14659761
>was
I am memeing I actually miss him while he tended to have the same kind of character I can't fault him, I do that and I really enjoyed the way he wrote. He was a good lad

>> No.14660429

>>14654445
Why does most SFF suck so much? Other than Tolkien, PKD and a few other particular books I find it to be badly written, obnoxious, boring, or incredibly overrated. I can't take all the made-up names and plots contrived from complete scratch.

>> No.14660438

>>14660429
If you don't like things being made up I've got some bad news for you.

>> No.14660446

>>14660246
fuckoff

>> No.14660456

>>14660429
Who are the others besides Tolkien and Dick? There's some good books but those usually aren't what /sffg/ focuses on.

>> No.14660466

>>14660246
Are you the one that's been writing for four months

>> No.14660474

>>14660466
I have been writing for five years and have one novel under my belt

>> No.14660479

>>14660474
that's not where you're supposed to put them but who am I to judge

>> No.14660509

>>14660474
what have you done to get published? queried agents? do you have a writing group?

>> No.14660512

>>14660479
jokes aside, controlling this mental breakdown is the priority, and if the solution might raise my confidence and validate me, all the better. The question is whether my solution really is a solution

>> No.14660516

>>14660512
yeah let's make your internal state reliant on strangers' approval, fantastic idea

>> No.14660541

>>14660509
admittedly very little, but currently, my priority is is on my current story. at the moment, I have writing momentum and I don't want to lose it. I might be able to transfer it over to something that could give me a source of external validation, but that's still not healthy

>>14660516
figured as much, but I'm not sure if there's a fourth option. Option 1: "keep going" seems to be causing problems, and Option 2: "take a break" is pretty awful as well. Switch over to something less serious still seems the least evil, but I'm hoping there's another that will actually be constructive

>> No.14660558

>>14660541
just curious what your process is. have you taken classes or read books about writing, podcasts, or videos?

>> No.14660563

>>14654908
low iq

>> No.14660572

>>14660558
I figured those things were just money-making schemes to make fake writers feel like they were accomplishing something

My process is that, I've got a writing group I started with two friends and that's it. if I was going to be showing work off, it would mostly amount to looking through r/writingprompts for the namesake and using them for exercises. I actually didn't use either of these for my first book and it turned out leagues better than my current product

>> No.14660581

>>14660512
Your solution of "Get published or sudoku at 30"? Topkek.mkv That's literally crazy talk.

>> No.14660585

>>14660031
It's on the wiki page under genre fiction > fantasy. 3rd place.
It's in A Guide To Navigating NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy Books
It's in Beginner's Guide To Fantasy
It's in Fantasy Flowchart.jpg
It's in Fantasy Genre.jpg

There's a lot of shit in those charts though, so I wouldn't even recommend using a lot of them. I might even say that community curation is a bad idea, far inferior to finding an experienced reviewer that fits your taste.

Also would you include it in a top 20 ssfg chart? you're probably limited to one book per sub genre. ASOIF has more recognition as an epic fantasy. Unless you've got a category for table top inspired there's no room.

>>14660316
He writes the best flawed heroes ever. In fact he does character motivation better than anyone.
Unfortunately Drenai featured hero heroes, not flawed heroes.
Read Rigante if you haven't, they are seriously well written.

>> No.14660595

>>14660581
it was a plan I made outside my current lucid state. I'm pretty sure I made the same vow when I had my first breakdown in college back when I was going mental trying to lose my virginity

>> No.14660628

>>14660456
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells; Space Odyssey series, Rendezvous with Rama, Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke; Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (particularlyly the latter); I remember Harry Potter being pretty good and really engaging; The Chronicles of Narnia and the Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis; Illuminatus! Trilogy; Redwall series; Watership Down; miscellaneous books on folklore and pagan mythology. Not many more off the top of my head.

>> No.14660633

>>14659583
>good
well if you like the idea of bloated grimderp with stuff that doesn't get explained until hundreds of pages later then go right ahead

>> No.14660649

>>14660512
Honestly it sounds like you should try meds and/or therapy

>> No.14660660

>>14660649
two decades ahead of you anon. two decades ahead of you

>> No.14660674

>>14660649
I don't understand why people ever make that suggestion. If someone has that many problems, it either means

>1. They're already doing all those things and it's not enough
>2. They would, except they can't afford it.
>3. They're too paranoid or stupid to listen to reason

There's really no situation where someone willing and able, and cognizant of the need to get help is refusing it

>> No.14660695

>>14660674
I guess I have the most experience with #3 where people need nudging to fix their shit and get some help with it because what they're doing sure isn't working.

>> No.14660720

>>14660674
Maybe they're coming to 4chan with "please fix my mental breakdown," this does not usually indicate that they're getting sufficient help

>> No.14660739

>>14660720
just because someone's getting help doesn't mean it's sufficient

>> No.14660746

>>14654879
This. Loved cugel-quest

>> No.14660753

>>14660628
Sounds like you like the more literary/classic stuff. Some others you might like are
Demolished Man - Bester
Eon - Bear
Stations of the Tide - Swanwick
Diamond Age - Stephenson
Beggars in Spain - Kress
Little, Big - Crowley
Ka - Crowley again
Last Unicorn - Beagle
Lord of Light - Zelazny
Wizard of Earthsea - LeGuin
Night Circus - Morgenstern

>> No.14660762

I think it's been some time since the selfpub chart has been around pushing his charts and recs. All things must come to an end.

>> No.14660888

>>14659583
A meme book.

On the other hand, most of the modern fantasy "epics" are even worse. In fact, pretty much all of them, or at least all I've tried to read recently, including latest offerings by Abercrombie and Sanderson, are worse.

So it is a meme book that is total shit at the start (just skip Book 1 entirely, you'll get tl,dr of the plot from returning characters anyway) and even at its best still remains overbloated and moderately nonsensical, but you don't exactly have many options. At least the author does not forget to advance the plot in each of his excessively long scenes, unlike Glen Cook in his later books, and can occasionally write somewhat believable and entertaining characters, unlike Abercrombie. And he did actually complete the plot he planned, unlike Martin.

>> No.14660939

So i have never read any genre fiction besides the standard Asoiaf,harry potter,Lotr and Dune.What are some god tier series that you can recommend.I just want to relax and read something really good.I went on the book recommendations in the catalogue sticky and saw 'the first law' series.Is it any good? i want to read something better the asoiaf mainly.

>> No.14660942

>>14660939
Death Gate Cycle

>> No.14660977

>>14660939
It's pretty good. There's some interesting twists in that series and Glotka is a really good character, if you can suffer through the torture.

What are you looking for?
What did/didn't you like about what you read?
'God tier' isn't much to go on, and none of what you listed would fall into that category except maybe lotr.

>> No.14660988
File: 296 KB, 720x1280, Screenshot_20200115-144348_Gallery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14657005

>I'm not even white.

UMMM EXCUSE ME??!!!

>> No.14660996

>>14660939

>the first law' series

Its pulp. Glokta "licks gums" is a fag. Beginning is good though. Would recommend only reading the first (half). 2nd is a drag, didnt even finished. 3rd is reportedly extremely cringe.

>> No.14661007

>>14660977
If im being honest i really don't know what im looking for.I wish i could give you something to work with but i really don't know.Also i didnt intend to imply that the books i said i had read were god tier just that they were the only fantasy i had read.I remember really like book one and 3 of asoiaf,book 3 especially just because it seemed like every chapter was moving the story forward.I guess i would like to read something really plot driven.

>> No.14661010

>>14660996
Whats a good book you can recommend instead?

>> No.14661021

>>14660939
it's an ok trilogy, falls off at the end
don't read any of the shit that comes after though
Abercrombie can only write four characters and they get boring after their first run

>> No.14661023

>>14660939
Soldier of the Mist and Soldier of Arete

>> No.14661037

>>14654459
fuck you

>> No.14661039

>>14661037
Huh? What did you say to me?

>> No.14661045

>>14658797
1st book has a small siege, 3rd book is entirely about a siege.

>> No.14661066
File: 48 KB, 328x500, 51Ql5C8eMqL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What did you think of this one /sffg/?
I just finished it and I mostly liked it; it was cliche as fuck but I didn't mind that, it had some cool chapters and I liked the interactions between the main 3 characters of the cast.
I feel I was robbed of a proper ending though, that was too abrupt and unsatisfying.

>> No.14661084

>>14661010

I jumped in the malazan rabbithole. Its not perfect but it certainly is rich.
Beyond that? Lets just say it is very difficult to find good fantasy these days.

>> No.14661088

>>14661021

>licks gums

>> No.14661183

Are there any good lists or charts of based and/or redpilled SFF books/authors?

>> No.14661218

>>14661066
It's great, it's worth reading because many of the cliches you've spotted originated from it, but The Broken Sword is still better.

>> No.14661267
File: 1.41 MB, 968x2600, dyingearthcorechart2.0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14661183

>> No.14661287

hate myself lads

>> No.14661300

>>14661287

Why, fagot

>> No.14661313

Last thread some anons linked mega/libgen links for worm (and I was able to find twig as well). The pact ebook that I found on mobilism had links that were fucked. Does anyone have a working method for downloading pact? It would really be much appreciated.

>> No.14661392

>>14661313
it's a web novel, just read it online - https://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/bonds-1-1/

or download every page and convert it to an ebook

>> No.14661906
File: 43 KB, 640x607, 1579315376454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

From page 8 we come.
It's February what you waiting on to be released?

>> No.14661941

>>14655929
>>14655861
The long price quartet by Daniel Abraham is political fantasy. More politics than fantasy actually. Rarely see magic in that book.

>> No.14661955

>>14654608
>Most other scifi classics are influenced by their time, as in you can recognize certain prejudices, politics etc.
Dune is overtly influenced by the 60s.

>> No.14661959

>>14654908
Read Tristram Shandy

>> No.14661972

>>14656990
>wanting mental trailer trash self cutting patreon thots or any patreon thots in general
I get you now off topic poster anon. You like damaged girls who have to throw away their pride and self worth, to whore themselves for sustenance to live on. You probably frequent whores irl too.

>> No.14662017

>>14657108
>tripfags
You what newfag?

>> No.14662066

>>14660762
Nothing new is really coming out. I have many new books to update the self pubbed chart with, but I'm a lazy fuck. No one is reading much anyways, nor are there much posters asking for books that could only be satisfied with self published books.

>> No.14662101
File: 3.57 MB, 4000x7700, 1464250581358.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14661183
>redpilled SFF books/authors

>> No.14662107

>>14661313
>>14661392
There is a webpage to ebook script it was mentioned in the general before. Use that

>> No.14662117

>>14654445
Unicorn Variation - Zelazny

>> No.14662124

>>14661906
kinda waiting on the rest of the new First Law trilogy, but I have to read the in between books first (currently on The Heroes). Also waiting on Winds of Winter i guess.

>> No.14662151

>>14654445
can someone give me a chart of scifi that should be essential for every reader, I'm not the biggest scifi fan btw.

>> No.14662163

>>14657406
You've got it backwards, laddie.

>> No.14662168
File: 1.17 MB, 1641x770, sffg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14662151
there is no 'essential' sf, only popular sf.

>> No.14662172

>>14661959
I don't think it's the same if you never gave a shit about the main plot.
But I'm not at all convinced that the journey in Shadow of the Torturer is better than the destination.

>> No.14662205

>>14661267
Do I really need to read everything else in order to understand BotNS?

>> No.14662245

>>14654459
I, Robot
>create the three laws
>the whole collection is situations where they fail
the whodunit novels are also very good

>> No.14662249

is Leigh Bardugo any good? or is she just shitty chick YA

>> No.14662286

>>14662205
You don't need to read anything to understand BotNS, but reading Dying Earth first could be nice because it's such a big influence. And you will not understand BotNS anyway.

>> No.14662296
File: 459 KB, 760x579, becca shrug.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>real life wuxia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbSCEhmjJA

>> No.14662302

>>14659800
>PFF! Doubt that.

>>14660633
>>14660888
OK, My expectations are sufficiently lowered. I'm going to try it. And I'm not skipping book one, because that would be fucking retarded. Why would anyone skip the first book in any series? That's just silly talk, anon.

>> No.14662306

>>14655929
>>14655975
>"The first law" triology
i'll second this
>Glokta is BIS character
BIS? best in series? i'll second this too

if you want something political without magic the shattered sea also by joe abercrombie is very good, the main character is the crippled son of a viking king

>> No.14662316

>>14656665
>I just want a big ass siege. Am i gonna get it?
yes

>> No.14662329

>>14656811
>I skipped the 1st without remorse. I liked the 2nd a lot but all the chads died in there
all the chads are in the 1st book, you've missed out on all the best boy bridgburners that the series follows

>> No.14662355

>>14662124
>Winds of Winter
Why can't you faggots understand that these last books will never be published.

>> No.14662370 [DELETED] 

>i want to read something better the asoiaf mainly.
Get that idea out of your head right now. I recently started this genre fiction journey too, and asoiaf is the best there is so far. Every recommendation /lit/ offered has been less compelling. You just have to cope with the fact that fantasy/sci fi doesn't reach greatness often. And enjoy the still perfectly good books.
But between asoiaf and Dune, you already read the best there is.

>> No.14662373

>>14660939
>i want to read something better the asoiaf mainly.
Get that idea out of your head right now. I recently started this genre fiction journey too, and asoiaf is the best there is so far. Every recommendation /lit/ offered has been less compelling. You just have to cope with the fact that fantasy/sci fi doesn't reach greatness often. And enjoy the still perfectly good books.
But between asoiaf and Dune, you already read the best there is.

That being said, ignore all mentions of the third law. Those anons are insane.

>> No.14662407

>>14662296
>wussy sick weak men can't handle the masters killing aura and qi shield

>> No.14662428

>>14662302
>PFF! Doubt that
You're looking at it backwards. ASOIF isn't good.
It's not well written, the author wastes your time describing brickwork and all sorts of nonsense, there aren't that many likeable characters and the Author is writing himself into a corner by killing off perspective characters faster than he introduces them.
Lots of books do better.

Book 1 of Malazan is a hurdle though. I was going to say you don't even meet the main character, but it turns out I was wrong.

>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wxjLS13oMcUTYXRwveCZL3U_oVplFrDOiifk1NWSUW0/edit#gid=387238174

Ganoes Paran is the main pov character (of 453), 4% of the series is told from his pov. I always thought it was Fiddler.

>> No.14662437

>>14662428
Everything you said about ASoIaF is wrong, and I reject your opinions. I'm starting Malazan. Don't make me hate Malazan fans with yout autism.

>> No.14662444

>>14662437
I don't give a shit if you hate Malazan fans
Nothing I said about ASoIaF was wrong or even subjective.

>> No.14662459

>>14662428
>>14662437
>cunt became the world fag mad when people don't like his books

>> No.14662473

>>14662459
>cunt became the world fag mad

>> No.14662495

>>14662459
Oh sure, repeat the same meme phrases again and again. That'll show me.

>> No.14662510

>>14662495
It's a meme for a reason. Don't get your fat pink masts in a twist. Every squat will be alright. With each looser than the last.

>> No.14662535

>>14662510
Oh ok, so that's like 3/5 of the memes right there. Among one of the largest novels ever written. 1 of the meme phrases isn't even in the books, but something George said during an interview. What's left?

>> No.14662552

How do I actually translate interesting fantasy ideas into a story that isn't a boring slog to sit through?

>> No.14662575

>>14662552
Multipurpose sentences, worldbuilding that's 75% implication, a character conflict that is central and compelling

>> No.14662576

>>14662552
Just keep putting in twists

>> No.14662580

>>14662535
All of those were in the books, speedreader kun.

>> No.14662595

>>14662580
Among one of the 5, low comprehension chan.

>> No.14662599
File: 58 KB, 490x955, Nic-Cage-wears-a-Nicolas-Cage-t-shirt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14661972
You can't get me anon. I am so far removed from you I might as well be alien. I am normal.

>> No.14662603

>>14662552
Strong female characters
Zany quips
Hard magic systems
Worldbuilding "with teeth"

>> No.14662607

>>14662603
Sounds pretty boring desu senpai.

>> No.14662609

>>14662607
Because you're a dinosaur who wants everyone to write only one book and focus on "prose"

>> No.14662614
File: 1.55 MB, 1590x2382, 36973195791_6429965d3a_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14662609
Too much on the nose.
A bit more subtlety wouldn't hurt desu senpai.

>> No.14662691

>>14662595
You mentioned 3 out of 5, so the one you were talking about had to be from the 3 I listed, as you didn't specifically say that one of the 5.

>> No.14662701

>>14662603
This. Everyone should talk like a Joss Whedon character and nobody should show that they care about the stakes, unless they're villains, in which case make your scrappy hero team mock them for it.

>> No.14662716
File: 117 KB, 640x465, ALIEN PROMETHEUS HAMMERPEDE WORM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14662701
You forgot to mention Damon Lindelof rule of writing which states that any action no matter how ill advised or unsuited to the situation at hand is a-OK as long as it gets the plot moving.
That's how we got the gem that is the petting of the space penis cobra in Prometheus.

>> No.14662717

>>14662691
>so the one you were talking about had to be from the 3 I listed
Why? Why decide the 3 over the 5? What gives the 3 priority?
Also, given that you KNOW all 3 memes are in the book, then you should see how prioritizing the 3 makes my statement nonsensical.(Which you erroneously you called me out on.) Therefore, in order to make sense of my statement, you should have figured I didn't mean one of the 3 memes.
But you were so eager to be right, that you didn't want to give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm not retarded.

>> No.14662761

>>14662717
I don't think you understand how many non readers/speedreaders argue with people in this general about things that without a doubt take place in a book. I just assumed that you were one of them.
I once has an esl argue and call me out for using your and he said it isn't possessive, and "you're" is what you have to use when you talk about a person's property.

>> No.14662763

>>14662691
not him but i'm guessing the other 2 are "whats his tax policy" & "X kind of forgot about Y" or maybe i know nothing

>> No.14662781

>>14662761
I bet he was trolling your autistic ass.

>> No.14662788

>>14662763
>"whats his tax policy"
Yeah, that's one of the ones I was thinking. I didn't have a 5th in mind, but counted to 5 just in case I forgot something.

>> No.14662857

>>14662107
I went back a few threads but could not find it. Would anyone care to point me in the right direction ?

>> No.14662927

>>14661218
Cool, I have The Broken Sword on my waiting list too.
I hope it doesn't have characters with heavy Scottish (?) accents though, that got old fast in Three Hearts and Three Lions.

>> No.14662929

>>14662781
Naw. I ignored after I told him that you're is you are. Someone else argued with him after until a bunch of anons called him out. You wish or want to think someone is trolling when they are that stupidly wrong, but a lot of the time, the truth is the person is sincere with their stupidity. Like those literal faggots who feel that an anus self lubricates.

>>14662788
>>14662763
>>14662691
>You know nothing
>Sunset found her squatting... each stool looser than the last
>lemon cakes
>fat pink masts
>her cunt became the world
>lamprey pie

>> No.14662997

>>14662857
>I went back a few threads
Try a few months. Check the archives.

>> No.14663033
File: 111 KB, 743x288, 1557673676289.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14654445

>> No.14663038

>maas ass looking for (you)s

>> No.14663070

>>14663033
i can tell they're going to be shit but i can't help but want to read them. someone talk me out of it

>> No.14663144

>>14663070
The first one is REALLY boring if you aren't a woman I guess. I tried it to be in on the meme but it's just really bland. Epub is easy to pirate if you really want to give it a try but there really isn't some hidden gem inside.
Try Sabriel if you want a female MC that gets the D.

>> No.14663380
File: 1.38 MB, 1063x1600, Fuck Throne of Glass.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14663144
>>14663070
The two highest voted reviews of Throne of Glass on Goodreads are two women rating it 1 star, so I'd dare a guess that it's boring regardless of your sex. Was a while since I posted this, Sabriel is also good.

>> No.14663391
File: 92 KB, 786x846, maas-with-Harry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to KISS Sarah J. Maas

>> No.14663403
File: 204 KB, 541x800, Soulcatcher_by_Pti-SPB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reminded - Soulcatcher a waifu.

Also, are there any Conan fags around here? I have some questions about an obscure part of lore.

>> No.14663409

>>14663380
>reading books written by a child abuser
No thanks.

>> No.14663414

>>14654445
I was looking through one of my old google drives when I found a series of word documents on a book I was writing. This was from when I was a freshman in highschool, back when I genuinely thought I was the greatest author in history. I compiled it all into a 20 page document, and I highly recommend you give it a read, as it's laughably terrible. TLDR: I pop up in this steampunk world with floating islands, I invent a few things, lose my arms, rob a bank, and get eaten by a monster.
happy reading
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D9sF4wtVQxiNcQ0LtbtuGB2oHobwqmfsw3PaQdI5gTc/edit?usp=sharing

>> No.14663444

>>14663070
So you (you)'d yourself to get the conversation going?
These newfags in here are so fucking easy.

>> No.14663468

>>14663414
>read my book guise
>xD I'm so quirky

>> No.14663488

>>14663414
Ok anon, might give it a read later.

>> No.14663571
File: 40 KB, 500x363, 1566026935363.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14663403
>Reminded - Soulcatcher a waifu.
more like slutcunter. shit tier.

>> No.14663581

dinosaurs

>> No.14663587
File: 150 KB, 1024x1454, Soulcatcher_by_Mikey_Patch_(Irontree).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14663571
Nah, she's my crazy waifu and more interesting than Lady.

>> No.14663634

>>14663581
What about them?

>> No.14663670
File: 153 KB, 800x450, F3B99A63-BFB9-454F-9C03-38C39BFBE7D6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14663468
>>14663444
Just thought I’d post something shitty that I wrote in the past to make you guys laugh, but ok.

>> No.14663776

>>14663409
If you pirate her book you won't give her shit and if you buy it you support some fund set up by her kid to help victims of child abuse. Also who cares she's dead and the book is great.

>> No.14663852

>>14663776
>the book is great.
To be fair I do like the premise, I have thought about getting it.
Some people told me it's a slog though, and with how long the book is I worry they might have a point.

>> No.14663894

should I read dune before the new movie comes out

>> No.14663932
File: 8 KB, 218x250, 1578413120578.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>fantasy

>> No.14664022

>>14654445
Is 10 billion days and 100 billion nights doomer pilled?

It sounds very compelling but I dont want a doomer pilled ending that leaves me in shambles for 3 days

>> No.14664031

what are some fantasy books that have a great sense of humor but aren't comedic fantasy?

>> No.14664044
File: 607 KB, 1037x587, Grunt ND's and is swiftly dealt with by the alpha slav.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Main character is a "boy/girl who no one understands because of their secret power that turns out to make them super special" or "normal girl/boy who one day discovers they have a secret power"
No, adding "fuck" every few sentences doesn't make your YA-tier writing mature

>> No.14664077

>>14664031
dying earth

>> No.14664089

>>14663380
isn't one of those authors a literal pedo

>> No.14664091

>>14663852
>Some people told me it's a slog though
It's admittedly quite a slow book. With it being about women in medieval times they spend quite a lot of time spinning yarn, weaving and shit. Can't have Morgana running around waving swords if you want to stay faithful to the myths. But unless you have ADHD there is probably enough action, magic and plotting to keep you entertained.

>> No.14664111
File: 143 KB, 800x586, 1468454351386.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So speaking of the thread topic, what are some good "popcorn flick" books?
You know, action, waifus, dumb but cool shit, basically just some books that know they're not trying to be smart and are just meant to be dumb but fun romps. Sci-fi or fantasy doesn't matter.

>> No.14664125

>>14664031
Go on novelfull.com and sort by comedy or slice of life

>> No.14664237

>>14664111
Most of them you unread ape.

>> No.14664291

>>14664044
Same could be said about your post you underage little shit.

>> No.14664383

>>14664091
Fair enough, I'll give it a go when I finish what I'm currently reading.

>> No.14664402

>>14664291
Not really, no.

>> No.14664417

>>14664044
There is literally nothing wrong with YA though.

>> No.14664516

>>14664417
Yes there is.

>> No.14664832

Movie and TV science fiction is, as a class, infinitely superior to written sf. The reason is, sf on the screen can let its imagination fly, while written sf is still bogged down in the Cold War era hangups imposed by John W. Campbell. Even where there are exceptions such as Dune, still in general even with authors of real merit like PKD, the film adaptations are superior to the original. Had not Kubrick taken a shine to one of his boring novels, who would remember Arthur C. Clarke today, outside of a few basement nerds? (The same does not seem to apply to fantasy, however.)

What I'm saying is, Star Trek Voyager is better than the whole Foundation trilogy.

>> No.14664845

Bullying the weak and fearing the strong......
How despicable

>> No.14664870

guys how/where do i get started on clark aston smith?

>> No.14665121

>>14664845
Why would you expect honor from bugmen?

>> No.14665135
File: 289 KB, 800x569, +_56233120d36e5b0c8e14c12c908288e2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14664402
You even sound like an underage little shit.

>> No.14665194

>>14654884
Starting the second book tonight. I miss Jonas, hope he comes back.

>> No.14665220
File: 208 KB, 1125x850, ombre-bourreau-gene-wolfe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just wanna mention, that I really love this french book art.

>> No.14665221
File: 46 KB, 677x461, 1318622915149.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14663409

>> No.14665333

>>14665221
Fuck off Spiderman
Why would you even condone such behavior?

>> No.14665360

>>14665220
That's pretty rad, I like it.
Plenty of artwork depicts Severian as this buff dude but I have a hard time imagining him like that.

>> No.14665555
File: 112 KB, 424x500, ThiefGoldCover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any books similar to the Thief video game series?

>>14665360
I always imagined him as someone built like a linebacker.

>> No.14665861

How the mighty have fallen.
He went from narrating big budget blockbuster authors like Sanderson, to nobody self published authors.
Guess the economy bad for everyone.

>> No.14665896
File: 1.03 MB, 1024x576, 1507750599016.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14664870

>> No.14665907

>>14665555
Why would your video gaymen quad getting ass come to lit and ask what book is like a game non of just played, much less knows about.

>> No.14665928

>>14665896
how many memes does this general have?
what does this pic even mean?

>> No.14666092

>>14665928
memeanon was pretty prolific for a while
I don't think I've seen the audiobook one recently

>> No.14666097

Is 2020 the year of no more rape?
Almost all the books I read are pg13.

>> No.14666112

>>14666097
Surprise!

>> No.14666128
File: 16 KB, 221x246, 1570429099746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666097
I hope so.
I mean it's not going to be, but I'd hope so.
There's other ways to write publishable smut in fantasy/Sci-fi than to have it be as intimidating and controversial as the big-R.

No rape in the book I'm writing, bit of consensual (sibling) incest + romance though.

>> No.14666147

>>14665555
nice quads. thief gold is one of my favorite games and im still not sure ive read a book that captures what that game does. maybe the thief by megan whalen turner?

>> No.14666152

Thank you for your daily reminder that conservatism isn't a political opinion, it's an absence of humanity

>> No.14666190

>>14666152
?

>> No.14666311

>>14663581
are based

>> No.14666325
File: 1.03 MB, 1255x455, 1552662489748.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666128
>consensual (sibling) incest + romance
tell me more

>> No.14666326

>>14663409
>>14664044
>>14664417
>>14664832
>>>>/r/fantasy

>> No.14666367

>>14654445
>heehee epic gurl killer in underwears OwO
Man I hate the fantasy book audience sometimes

>> No.14666375

>>14666367
Bob and pusy
In a post apocalyptic world

>> No.14666391

>>14666325
I posted about it a couple of threads ago.

Using your preferred archive:
Thread: >>14593603

>TL;DR, is sort of a meta spoiler - I am writing this after all.
The Magic of the setting is Blood Based and belonged primarily to Elves. The people that have magical bloodlines believe that the only way to strengthen the bloodline is to reject any outside factors that could dilute the blood further. Currently, the setting is focusing on a post human-empire collapse where Elves were victims of thousands of years of cross-breeding with humans, diminishing the effectiveness of the bloodlines. The blood of the current living populace is not even close to the pure blooded ancestors, and by hopes of selective breeding return to the glory days. Without giving away the plot to what I am writing right now, one of the main characters is forced to marry his sister(s) to preserve their bloodline and to further their own goals.

>> No.14666404

>>14660628
This

>> No.14666406

>>14663776
>>14663852
>the book is great
Hard disagree from me... I found Griffith's Hild to be a lot more enjoyable

>> No.14666410

>>14666391
>no isekai
>no systems
>no npc minions

How do you even expect me to read it

>> No.14666415

>>14666097
Yeah rape is taboo now, they don’t want to get #canceled.
That’s why overlook didn’t resign Bakker.

>> No.14666417

>>14665907
Why are you pretending there is little to no overlap between people who read SciFi/Fantasy and people who play videogames?

>> No.14666423

>>14663403
>any Conan fags around here? I have some questions about an obscure part of lore

Shoot

>> No.14666433
File: 302 KB, 409x407, GakiEndo_Sad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666410
Because I don't write for weebs or people that read YA influenced by anime?
I just want to tell a story about many Kingdoms of degenerates, fools, sociopaths and liars.

>> No.14666467

>>14666433
That’s all ve been reading for a while now though
Just an FYI
Also xianxia

>> No.14666497
File: 51 KB, 640x360, the wall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14665220
That's a great shot of the city and The Wall©.

FWIW I always pictured Severian as an emo teenager with Misfits patches and a wallet chain on his sabretache

>> No.14666504

>>14666423
Were did exactly human Stygians come from during the Thrurian age? I seen some sources say that they came from continent of Mu and others that say that Lemurians fled from Lemuria to he eastern shores of Thurian continent and got enslaved by pale people who lived there (but those pale people originally came from eastern continent beyond Lemuria, so it gets a bit confusing, is it Mu or not?). When Lemurians rebelled their masters fled, took over non human kingdom around Styx river and establish Stygia (I assume non humans were serpent people?). Also, is that why royalty and nobility of Stygia are paler that commoners, they are descendants from those eastern people?

>> No.14666538
File: 555 KB, 1000x600, 1572804615131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666467
Ahh, but are they banging their own kin consensually?

In all honesty though, I feel like this is going to be mainly treatment for getting the characters and story out of my head onto paper, so that I can work on more original stuff later on involving the theme if it sticks or if people think it shows promise.
Getting all the giggles out of the way with something that's not unfamiliar but with the twist of forbidden love.

>> No.14666565

/sffg/, I'm not happy about it but I think I need to take a break from writing until I get my passion back. Right now, the fact that I'm writing mechanically while also judging myself is impacting the quality of my work, and while I hate to lose my momentum I'm not really sure I can produce anything of value just by keeping at it.

my biggest fear right now is that my passion will never come back like what happened with my cooking.

>> No.14666570

Seems there was a flurry of posting since I last looked. New thread sometime before I go to sleep.

>> No.14666645

>>14666565
>my biggest fear right now is that my passion will never come back
My biggest hope is that it doesn't.

>> No.14666700

>>14666504
Dunno lol. I never got that deep into the Kull stories I suspect Howard never did either.

>> No.14666724
File: 42 KB, 480x549, 3252799-4050579916-akisk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666700
Alright then. Anyway, have this pic of a cute Stygian vampire.

>> No.14666731

>>14666391
>>14666538

I'd say go with an episodic/separate tales approach with other releases focusing on different places/people/etc. Focus on Kings and Queens one book, and a unrelated or maybe related, do whatever you want, idc, in another.

I feel the setting could be done well, you'd need to do more than just the incest as the key point of magic and/or society though.

Also, reading the same family fucking each other would get pretty dull after a while.

I can handle a book of effective GoT Lannister-family fanfiction, but not a series.

>> No.14666733

Blood of Dragons really does just end huh
All four books building up the conflicts in chalced and selden's awful situation and then it's all just solved in one short chapter and everyone makes it out okay. I mean I guess it makes sense for it to end that way considering just how unprepared humans are to handle a coordinated dragon attack at this point in time but fuck

I didn't hate this series as much as other people seem to but it definitely felt like she could have just made it into two longer books while trimming some of the fat with the keepers (why did we have to deal with greft for two whole books and can we stop having best abuse flashbacks) and a more thorough look into the stuff that really matters.

It's been a little under a year since I started reading Hobb's stuff (about a 6 month break between tawny man and rain wilds) but I'll be happy to be back with fitz and finally see the end to his story.

>> No.14666739

What the fuck went wrong with sanderson

I haven't read long books apart from HP and got recommended way of kings by someone IRL. 800 pages in and i fucking detest the dialogue of Shallan and Jasnah.
Im starting to see how kaladin and his group is like some cringe anime I AM SPARTACUS why is the dialogue so shit wtf

Im too invested to stop though and waiting for that sanderson avalanche. Is the second one better?

What to do bros

>> No.14666755

>>14666739
Regardless of what it is, if you aren't enjoying yourself, then you ought to quit.

>> No.14666769

>>14666739
Sanderson is basically fantasy shounen anime. There's some cool moments and good fights with a very large scale setting that doesn't bog you down in the history of 300 different political houses and factions and names to keep track of. It's just fun and easy to read for me when I want to unwind, might not be for you if you're looking for something more.

>> No.14666792

/sffg/ help me find an official version of vandermeer's Dead Astronauts, all i can find are ARCs.

>> No.14666804

>>14666739
>Im too invested to stop though
this is why you suffer, because you let them do it

>> No.14666872

>>14666804
Who is "them"?

>> No.14666896
File: 119 KB, 800x585, Triad-of-Fates-Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666731
That's what I planned on doing.
I feel that I'd lose steam if I wrote a chronicle of a single family.
Current one is on a family, but I feel like it's easier to get this effective world-foundation book out the way first.

>>14666739
Drop it and find something else.
Don't make yourself bored/tired of a genre by willingly reading books you don't like.

>> No.14666919

>>14666792
amazon dot com

>> No.14666949
File: 60 KB, 176x165, 1550873415326.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666792
https://mega.nz/#!BMB3mapY!8q-uV8yFwc7EQ7B8QQWY76TtT2Sv9XvMOijvw5KlRfg

>> No.14667009
File: 381 KB, 2048x2048, 75418999_2355648727824138_1333528049089511424_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14666724
Najs.

>> No.14667073

>>14664111
Cralde, Red Rising...

>> No.14667185

NEW THREAD
>>14667183
NEW THREAD

>> No.14667786

>>14666415
Rape was always taboo. People don't go around raping in broad daylight with witnesses around.
Being a faggot was taboo too, but I guess faggots have more rights than non faggots now.