[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 379 KB, 1654x858, lit2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14639572 No.14639572 [Reply] [Original]

Alright /lit/, how do I learn basic classical latin, I obviously don't need to become conversationally fluent but I'd like to be able to read primary sources without needing to use a grammar dictionary for every sentence.

Pic unrelated.

>> No.14639653

>>14639572
Latin is easy as fuck once you learn some basics and get over the fear of it, it's practically a con-lang. At least, onnce you've seen some Greek it doesn't seem so hard, otherwise I don't know. But still, it is very possible.
>/lit/, how do I learn basic classical latin
First I will reccomend you" Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata Pars I: Familia Romana" It's a book that teaches you Latin via "nature method", entirely in Latin. Widely considered a masterpiece of language didacting. Some people only use this (+its exercise/companion book), others use it with more traditional, grammar-focused methods alongside it. I would personally reccommend you to learn it with the grammar method and read LLPSI alongside. Are you willing to have a teacher(/in class) or only autodidacting? The former is the most secure way.

>> No.14639658

>>14639572
Buy Lingua Latina and Wheelock’s Latin, you can learn it to a pretty advanced level with just those two books and primary sources which are easy to find online

>> No.14639697

>>14639653
>>14639658
Thanks guys.

>> No.14639963

Just find a native speaker and practice with them.